In need of a quality sprayer for weed control.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought a 55 gallon sprayer back in 2016 from the local Kubota dealer to use with the BX and although it wasn't cheap there was nothing quality about it. I'm looking for a quality sprayer I can use to spray 15 to 20 acres efficiently. It'll be on the back of an MX6000 with cab so can anyone recommend a good model? I'm thinking 100 gallons or more with a decent boom of at least 20 feet. I want something that will last 20 years if looked after, albeit with maintenance of wear and tear items.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t know what you are trying to spray, but there are places that specialize at spraying. It might be worth getting an estimate if you haven’t instead of buying your own sprayer. I hear it’s pretty inexpensive to have it done. Bonus is you don’t have the exposure to the chemical mist.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don’t know what you are trying to spray, but there are places that specialize at spraying. It might be worth getting an estimate if you haven’t instead of buying your own sprayer. I hear it’s pretty inexpensive to have it done. Bonus is you don’t have the exposure to the chemical mist.
That's a good point but I paid a contractor $500 to spray 10 acres maybe four years ago. He didn't do a good job, and unlike painting a house where you can see what was missed, you won't know whether the contractor did a good job for a year or more.

I have lots of knap weed, hounds tongue, Canadian thistles and more and need to get a handle on the problem. The only way to know that the right amount of chemical is being used, and that there's 100% coverage is to do it myself. I'll have a cabbed tractor soon so exposure to toxic spray won't be so likely.

I think a good sprayer is a worthwhile investment given my weed problem.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t know how into weed control you are, but you should check with your weed control district to get knapweed weevils. My district provides them with a donation, and you also can collect your own. The little bugs have helped on my property. They will also do consulations and rent some types of sprayers.

Reactions: 1 user

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
First you must remember you will be using it on a cab tractor. So forget a sprayer with manual controls on it for selecting boom section for spraying or turning the sprayer on and off. As to the area you will be spraying if open ground would want say 30 feet of boom. I am not a fan of boom less sprayers but have a friend who uses one and really likes it. I normally use 20 gallons per acre with the chemicals I used so 100 gallon would cover 5 acres. That would be 3 to 4 refills for your acreage. That gets old. If you have a distance between the spray area and the water supply that takes time.

I would want a larger than 100 gallons (with some chemicals you and run lot less than 20 gallons per acre but I like the coverage with 20 gallons in thick crop or weeds), if open area boom of say 30 feet, with electrical valves and possible pressure regulator built in. I would not be scared to consider a used sprayer, but sure the frame and tank are good and booms also. Pump, nozzles and such are wear items. On pump calculate the gpm needed. Most people buy too small a pump in capacity. Take how much each nozzle sprays, how much you want for recirculation to keep the chemicals mixed and to allow for the wearing of the pump. No idea where you are located but in you are in the area of an Agri Supply recommend them on pricing.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don’t know how into weed control you are, but you should check with your weed control district to get knapweed weevils. My district provides them with a donation, and you also can collect your own. The little bugs have helped on my property. They will also do consulations and rent some types of sprayers.
I hate weeds and would rather not have to even think about it. I looked into the bug solution a few years ago but it was expensive, slow and not guaranteed, and when the knap weed has "gone" so are the bugs. I will contact the local weed agency and see what they suggest and if they rent out 3-point sprayers.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
First you must remember you will be using it on a cab tractor. So forget a sprayer with manual controls on it for selecting boom section for spraying or turning the sprayer on and off. As to the area you will be spraying if open ground would want say 30 feet of boom. I am not a fan of boom less sprayers but have a friend who uses one and really likes it. I normally use 20 gallons per acre with the chemicals I used so 100 gallon would cover 5 acres. That would be 3 to 4 refills for your acreage. That gets old. If you have a distance between the spray area and the water supply that takes time.

I would want a larger than 100 gallons (with some chemicals you and run lot less than 20 gallons per acre but I like the coverage with 20 gallons in thick crop or weeds), if open area boom of say 30 feet, with electrical valves and possible pressure regulator built in. I would not be scared to consider a used sprayer, but sure the frame and tank are good and booms also. Pump, nozzles and such are wear items. On pump calculate the gpm needed. Most people buy too small a pump in capacity. Take how much each nozzle sprays, how much you want for recirculation to keep the chemicals mixed and to allow for the wearing of the pump. No idea where you are located but in you are in the area of an Agri Supply recommend them on pricing.
Excellent information ... thanks. Yeah, I was looking at Enduraplas this afternoon and noticed the optional solenoid kit for cabbed tractors. $5,500 buys a 200 gallon tank with a 30 ft boom, solenoids for in cab operation, a stainless steel pump, spray gun and hose reel. This a significant chunk of money but it looks like a very good system.

SL200FG8GR Enduraplas | 200 Gallon Roller 3 Land Champ Point Sprayer (sprayersupplies.com)

This would be the upper end of the range for me but I know I'd be spraying for friends and neighbors so could recoup some of the cost. I'll continue looking at other models as well as looking at the used market.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I bought a 55 gallon sprayer back in 2016 from the local Kubota dealer to use with the BX and although it wasn't cheap there was nothing quality about it. I'm looking for a quality sprayer I can use to spray 15 to 20 acres efficiently. It'll be on the back of an MX6000 with cab so can anyone recommend a good model? I'm thinking 100 gallons or more with a decent boom of at least 20 feet. I want something that will last 20 years if looked after, albeit with maintenance of wear and tear items.
I bought a 55 gallon three point mounted sprayer for use with my B3350 about 2 years ago.

Mine has a 12' boom and 6 roller pump. I needed a small unit so as to be able to use it on my lawn as well as elsewhere.

I bought mine from Agri-Chem (IN) and so far, so good. They make sprayers of all sizes.

SDT

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I hate weeds and would rather not have to even think about it. I looked into the bug solution a few years ago but it was expensive, slow and not guaranteed, and when the knap weed has "gone" so are the bugs. I will contact the local weed agency and see what they suggest and if they rent out 3-point sprayers.
I didn’t find them expensive. In any case, I’m not interesting in adding chemicals to my meat (deer/Elk), so spraying is out for me. My options are mechanical or bugs.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I didn’t find them expensive. In any case, I’m not interesting in adding chemicals to my meat (deer/Elk), so spraying is out for me. My options are mechanical or bugs.
I understand your concern. Maybe goats would be a good idea but nothing other than goats or bugs will eat knapweed. I'll talk with the weed control folks out here and see what they suggest. I'm not aware of a mechanical option for knapweed.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
In Texas there are co-ops that sell fertilizer and weed sprays to farmers and ranchers. They generally have the machines to apply these products to rent out. You may be able to apply granulated products to avoid the spray problems.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Mechanical ie mowing/pulling.
I know, but mowing doesn't work for knapweed and pulling is impractical. Knapweed is carcinogenic too so contact with the skin should be avoided.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In Texas there are co-ops that sell fertilizer and weed sprays to farmers and ranchers. They generally have the machines to apply these products to rent out. You may be able to apply granulated products to avoid the spray problems.

That's interesting. I'd rather not spray or have to invest in a sprayer so hopefully I'll have some help locally.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I purchased my sprayer from sprayer depot online. It has an aluminum frame so it's not very heavy. Gas driven hypro pump is a beast. I've never had much luck with electric pumps.

I know they sell tractor models as well. Won't be cheap. Mine was about 3500 and its just a skid with a 100 gallon tank.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I ordered five boxes of root weevils yesterday, received them this morning and put them out before lunch. The woman who shipped them very kindly included three boxes of seed head weevils at no charge so they went out too. We'll see how this works out but I'll probably be ordering more next summer.

These weevils went out on a very steep section of my property (maybe 5 acres) that makes cutting or spraying impractical but I might still spray the other 15 or so acres.