Impressive Fuel Economy

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So, really very pleased with how efficiently this G2160 runs. I topped off the tank prior to winter and stuck the battery maintainer on it. Early in the spring I began putting the machine to work. Leaf cleanup, core aerating, mowing, also pulling the Fimco sprayer, slit aerating and mowed down neighbor's severely over grown lot, and yet with all this work only about 1/2 tank or so used. Had I been doing that kind of work with my old Simplicity Sovereign (V twin, 20hp Kohler) I would have gone through at least 8 gallons or more of gasoline. I am impressed

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea diesels beat the snot of of gas for efficiency under work loads.

Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
When I replaced my old Murray gasser mower with the 3cyl diesel TG I almost could not believe how much less fuel I burned. Probably about 1/2 or thereabouts.

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Yep, just got in again today from working it for about an hour or so, fuel is still above the light starting to blink. Not sure if "normal" but my light will begin to blink here and there with about 2 gals left and go steady with about 1 gal left. Book says it holds 6 IIRC

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Diesel engines are about 1/3 more efficient than gasoline.

My VW diesel would EASILY acheve 56MPG on road-trips. A 14 gallon tank of fuel would take me about 800 miles. My VW once went from Vermont to Colorado and back to Vermont on 6 tanks of diesel. (3 drivers, engine never cooled off)

• One reason is because gasoline engine is CONSTANTLY pulling a vacuum against the throttlebody....whilst Diesel has no throttlebody and is allowed to breathe as much air as it wants at all times. (no vacuum-load on diesel engine)
  • Another reason is because Diesel-fuel contains MORE ENERGY per gallon than gasoline. (especially when ethanol is added to the gas which has even less energy than gasoline.)

To maximize a diesel fuel-economy, it is best to add some CETANE enhancer to the fuel. Be aware that
diesel additives ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING for the engine when compared to gasoline snake-oil claims.
Adding CETANE enhancer actually adds more energy to the fuel. (up to a point)

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Oh I already knew all those things. This is just the first diesel engined device I've ever owned. IDK it is actually cheaper to run it since diesel is so $$$$ around here, but it's amazing how little of it is actually used

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Oh I already knew all those things. This is just the first diesel engined device I've ever owned. IDK it is actually cheaper to run it since diesel is so $$$$ around here, but it's amazing how little of it is actually used
I hear you.... when I owned my VW diesel, the cost of diesel was FARRRR less than gasoline. I keep a spreadsheet of every vehicle I own (cars, motorcycles, scooter...etc) The VW diesel cost less per mile than my motorcycle. (y)

At some point, the taxes on diesel went WAYYYY up (about the time they converted to UltraLowSulferDiesel) and the cost per gallon surpassed gasoline.

Reactions: 1 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
IDK, I guess if I knew where I could by offroad diesel maybe I could save some $$$. Trouble is I can't find anywhere I can go for it to simply fill my cans

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Diesel engines are about 1/3 more efficient than gasoline.

My VW diesel would EASILY acheve 56MPG on road-trips. A 14 gallon tank of fuel would take me about 800 miles. My VW once went from Vermont to Colorado and back to Vermont on 6 tanks of diesel. (3 drivers, engine never cooled off)

• One reason is because gasoline engine is CONSTANTLY pulling a vacuum against the throttlebody....whilst Diesel has no throttlebody and is allowed to breathe as much air as it wants at all times. (no vacuum-load on diesel engine)
  • Another reason is because Diesel-fuel contains MORE ENERGY per gallon than gasoline. (especially when ethanol is added to the gas which has even less energy than gasoline.)

To maximize a diesel fuel-economy, it is best to add some CETANE enhancer to the fuel. Be aware that
diesel additives ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING for the engine when compared to gasoline snake-oil claims.
Adding CETANE enhancer actually adds more energy to the fuel. (up to a point)

Horthit: https://www.truckpartsandservice.co...mprovers-the-not-so-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

and

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Thanks for the article which re-enforces my comments regarding cetane. This is the very reason I said "up to a point". There is a limit to the benefits to adding cetane-improver.

Certainly, the additional benefits of keeping the fuel-system clean and lubricated cannot be understated either. This is why I ALWAYS add a capful of PowerService when I fill the fuel tank.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I keep track of fuel usage on all my vehicles and equipment (except push mowers and chainsaw power heads and the like).

My L3830 uses right at 1.0 gallons per hour brush hogging with a 5’ rotary cutter. My B2601 uses just under 1 gallon per hour with a 54” MMM deck mowing at 2 inches. Those are typically the most fuel intensive activities I have for each tractor. I’m sure some folks have other experiences, that’s just my experience.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am also impressed with the frugality of diesel of my M-Kubota tractor… All day shredding thick grass and only a few gallons of diesel…. Pretty amazing.