Implement storage is getting to be a real problem!

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
A slick way to store a brush hog, note the large sq. tube with a flange welded to it to engage the 3 point pins. The back side has different type of flange (also dirt simple) that engages the rear. I've never liked how much room my little 4' mower took up, and since I'm considering buying a 5 or 6'er it was preemptively starting to bug me. This 6' mower is ready for me to go get tomorrow, and I wouldn't even have to fab up a similar stand up mount, meant to be! A similar mount for the 4'er (still needed for my bike trails on my 40 acres, don't want a highway, but a trail) along with a second mower and they both together would take up less room than storing them laid down.
IMG_20210514_154505737_HDR.jpg

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
A simple plug in cherry picker I made up using what I had on hand, some thin wall tubing (not pipe) part of a defunct wind turbine I was given, with some scrap angle iron welded on it to stiffen it, also scrounged somewhere in the past. It plugs into my 2" receiver in my forks QA, and the chain rigging sit's in notches ground in the side frame, and goes on in about a minute or less. Purposely built lightweight, I thought I would have trashed it by now by asking it to do more and more, but it's hanging in there. The tip will hit 13+ feet high, with the "bucket' curled, and I've picked up to about 500 pounds with it. This spreader bar only weighs about 250.
IMG_20210513_110028551.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
A slick way to store a brush hog, note the large sq. tube with a flange welded to it to engage the 3 point pins. The back side has different type of flange (also dirt simple) that engages the rear. I've never liked how much room my little 4' mower took up, and since I'm considering buying a 5 or 6'er it was preemptively starting to bug me. This 6' mower is ready for me to go get tomorrow, and I wouldn't even have to fab up a similar stand up mount, meant to be! A similar mount for the 4'er (still needed for my bike trails on my 40 acres, don't want a highway, but a trail) along with a second mower and they both together would take up less room than storing them laid down. View attachment 59880
Might be difficult to stand it up and lay it down. And that makes for a pretty big kite. A little wind and there she goes. Unless you tie it up to something.

Maybe a table that would let you slide the big one under and lay the little one on top.

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
What make is your flail mower and why did you choose it over other implements such as a rotary cutter? I don't know much about them but watched a Messick's video today and it seems like they're ideal for cutting grass over rough ground, and with the hydraulic offset feature that some have they're excellent for cutting grass on banks and such.
I just found Neil's video about the flail, that is a nice until! great video about flails, really sums up their pluses and minuses

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Might be difficult to stand it up and lay it down. And that makes for a pretty big kite. A little wind and there she goes. Unless you tie it up to something.

Maybe a table that would let you slide the big one under and lay the little one on top.
That is a very cool winter storage solution but was thinking the same thing about how one would stand up and lay down the cutter. Maybe a strap is the way to go if the loader has enough clearance. My RCR1884 supposedly weighs 850lb without the driveline and with a front rubber guard. I have metal chain guards front and rear so all in around 900lb. That's a lot of weight to mess with but I'm still interested in the concept.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO

You are correct sir! I ended up buying a 6' rotary yesterday, it was in stock at a local farm supply outlet (20 miles away, but I had new implement fever). I'm putting the 4' mower up for sale, a perfect time of year to do that, I'm thinking 350 to $450.00, NOT trying to sell it here just thinking out loud. Anyway, by the time I got it assembled, it was patently obvious the "stand it up" thing would be more trouble than it'd be worth, especially as my outbuilding's door is only 8' high, I'd have to pull the rear wheel assemble plus the driveline, too much busy work. But it remains a slick way for the manufacturer to ship them, the end user for storage purposes, not so much.

All my attachments are stored inside, but I have decided to keep it simple and during the mowing months just keep it around the shop, on or off the tractor. I'm in a rural area and have plenty of room. Come fall I'll run it down to the lower part of my 40 acres, and probably throw some rubber roofing membrane scraps over the driveline/gearbox and call it good. The net result being my mower is now 24" wider, and I've GAINED room in the outbuilding as the old mower will be history.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
How I hang my post hole digger. Thankfully I don't need it often, so I really wanted it out of the way. Same with the landscape rake, once a year only so I don't mind the 10 minutes it takes to get it totally out of the way the other 525,590 minutes. Though looking at this picture, I realize I have enough room above the hydraulic angle snow blade and snow blower combo to make a shelf for the rake. That'd save me 8 or 9 minutes every year. This is one of my implement outbuildings, plenty of room left over for the 12' dump bed trailer, ATV utility trailer, miniX buckets, and a little misc lumber.
IMG_20210520_155307904.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I racked out the rear bay of my barn for attachments / implements and bucket storage, in total I have about 60' of 10' high 48" or 42" deep shelves. No matter what I always think you need a little more space!

Basket.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I racked out the rear bay of my barn for attachments / implements and bucket storage, in total I have about 60' of 10' high 48" or 42" deep shelves. No matter what I always think you need a little more space!

View attachment 60276
I like that rear carrier you have, the little plastic Kubota supplied "tool box" is still accessible too I see. Nice space utilization, it always bugs me to see an aircraft hangar or farm building, jam packed, while having 14 or 16' ceilings and nothing hanging from the ceiling or any shelving!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I like that rear carrier you have, the little plastic Kubota supplied "tool box" is still accessible too I see. Nice space utilization, it always bugs me to see an aircraft hangar or farm building, jam packed, while having 14 or 16' ceilings and nothing hanging from the ceiling or any shelving!
The rear basket carrier is an ATV accessoryI fitted one to my L3200, L3901 and MX5800, they are super useful for a chainsaw, gas and oil. My shelving helps keep the floor clear and allows me to store most of my equipment inside. It makes more room for other machines!

OldKid

Equipment
L4610, Woods rake, box blade, brush hog, Blue Diamond grapple, LP spreader
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
Just another variation on the FEL and lighter attachments on shelves and 3 point attachments on the ground. Sometimes I wish I had the concrete floor and may add it at some point down the road. One 10x25' enclosed bay with roll-up and three open bays same size.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The only problem with having implements on racks inside a barn or shop, particularly one with limited space, is that you need to keep the area in front of the racks clear for ease of access, although if that space is used to park the tractor it would be ok.

OldKid

Equipment
L4610, Woods rake, box blade, brush hog, Blue Diamond grapple, LP spreader
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
The only problem with having implements on racks inside a barn or shop, particularly one with limited space, is that you need to keep the area in front of the racks clear for ease of access, although if that space is used to park the tractor it would be ok.
Yes, it's not a foolproof solution, but I find that it works much better than no racks at all. I am able to keep seven or eight implements out of the weather and can access any of them in 15 minutes or less.

papajoe

Equipment
L3901DT Shuttle (2017), B6100E (1978), B6100E (1979), B6100HST-E (1985), RTV500
Dec 26, 2017
Oak Grove, La.
Most of my implements have to live outside. Tractors, Grasshopper, RTV500, planters, seeders and a few other stay under the shed. Last count, I had 28 3PH attachments and 5 SSQA tools for the loader. More stuff shows up here pretty often. My wife thinks I have an illness. I hope they never find a cure!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I 'double skid' everything if outside. Seems the lower one rots away over time....top one is good to lift though ! Also , use the SAME sized skids for everything........makes life simpler...

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4060 HSTC, LA805, L2195A, BH92, .5TBB, PF, 12K TAT,
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
In 1997-98 we put up 40x80 building for our office/shop (36x40) for our business and the rest storage. Our storage area is filled with mule, mowers, boat, Ice Castle, trailer, truck and all the "small" stuff. When our Tractor/fel/bh/snow blower arrives it will fit through the doors, but will the doors close? I'll report back someday when the Kubota dealer delivers.