Impact wrench

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I got a Jet JP2000 impact wrench for $60. It's a 3/4 inch drive that's supposed to put out 2000 ft. lbs . I don't currently have an air compressor that will handle it but was wondering if I could get enough time out of it with my 1 hp pancake compressor to loosen a couple nuts given time to build pressure.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
The compressor size won’t determine what it can do it will determine how long it can do it. The ability will come from the psi level of the compressor vs the tool requirement. If you already have the tool and compressor give it a go. Won’t hurt anything.

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Crank that sucker up!

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Run the air hose from the compressor to a 5 gallon portable tank close to the work. Then run a short (10 feet) 3/8 or 1/2 inch air line to the impact gun.

The 5 gal reservoir will get off any nut the gun is capable of. Pressure should be as near to 100 psi (or greater) as you can get.

Reactions: 5 users

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
Been there and done that. That extra 5 gallon tank will buy you a couple of seconds at full power. In the cases where I tried that it only worked if the bolts came off fairly easily. After that it will not have enough air to produce 2000 foot pounds. You don't specify what flow rate your compressor is nor the consumption needs of the driver.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Been there and done that. That extra 5 gallon tank will buy you a couple of seconds at full power. In the cases where I tried that it only worked if the bolts came off fairly easily. After that it will not have enough air to produce 2000 foot pounds. You don't specify what flow rate your compressor is nor the consumption needs of the driver.
Not sure the size of the bolts/nuts the OP wants to remove, but 2 seconds at 2000 foot pounds should break loose everything I need to deal with. Plus, one only has to wait a bit for the aux tank to recharge and try again (and again) if needed...

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Compressor puts out about two and a half cfm at 90 psi. The nuts are an inch and eleven sixteenths holding the blades on a brush hog. At least one spline is stripped

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Not going to happen with your set up. You'll need a compressor that can supply 90 psi @5.5 to 6 CFM constant. Those guns draw some big air. I went cordless with a I-R 20volt and love it, can take every where and it rocks.

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
Bucktail,
That compressor will not be able to keep up with the 9 CFM requirements of the impact wrench for more that a couple of seconds. More importantly, if your bush hog is like mine you access the nuts for the blades from the top through an access port provided just for that. If the splined bolt is spinning in the arm no amount of torque will get the nut off. You will have to either come up with a way to stop the spinning or cut the whole bolt off.
I used a breaker bar with an 8 foot cheater to get mine off. Sounds like yours are like mine based on the size of the socket needed.
Good luck and may the orange force be with you.

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
You need CFM to make larger tools work effectively...including a larger air line feeding the tool. You might be disappointed with the results.
Exactly this. I've yet to see a pancake compressor that has a line coming off the tank that would be sufficient to supply that rattle gun. Forget trying to run it through the regulator, but even directly pipes to the tank with a 3/4" line I don't think you'll get anywhere.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
3/4" electric... i have tons of air tools and a large compressor.. my electric is my go to gun for pulling bolts apart.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
For my use, the electric was also the logical choice. It's only a 1/2" but so far it has handled everything that I have fed it.

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
You need CFM to make larger tools work effectively...including a larger air line feeding the tool. You might be disappointed with the results.
The plan is to hold the other side with a pipe wrench. Plan B is to cut flats on the head and use a big ass adjustable wrench to hold it. I have a 40 inch breaker bar I can use once the nuts are loose. Could buy a chunk of pipe to use as a cheater.
Bucktail,
That compressor will not be able to keep up with the 9 CFM requirements of the impact wrench for more that a couple of seconds. More importantly, if your bush hog is like mine you access the nuts for the blades from the top through an access port provided just for that. If the splined bolt is spinning in the arm no amount of torque will get the nut off. You will have to either come up with a way to stop the spinning or cut the whole bolt off.
I used a breaker bar with an 8 foot cheater to get mine off. Sounds like yours are like mine based on the size of the socket needed.
Good luck and may the orange force be with you.
I plan to use a pipe wrench to hold the bolt. If that doesn't work I'll cut flats on the sides and use a big ass adjustable wrench. I talked to a neighbor who has a a 2 hp 30 gallon compressor so we're getting warmer. He also has a cutting torch which can be used to heat the nuts and may be useful for plan c or d.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Yup, and life savers too. I ordered mine when I got the impact wrench.
View attachment 63161
Matter of fact that is a 3/4" socket in the 1/2" drive here.

I was a mechanic for quite a few year I have tools I rarely use anymore as I mostly just fix my own stuff now. But every once in a while I still pull out the beast of a 1” ratchet I have. It’s gotta weight10-15lbs and it’s older than I am.