idle speed

Warcloud

Equipment
BX2360, FEL MMM,
Jul 28, 2009
New York
I would like to know your thoughts on leaving tractor running at idle speeds for long period of time. I understand that it does not hurt to let a diesel idle. true or false

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I think it is TRUE, other than wasting a fuel for nothing and pollution~~!!!:D:D:D

For me, I wouldn't idle it too long anyway other than warming up purpose~!

Joe.

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
Seems to be the most popular opinion on idling is not to do it for long periods of time. From what I have gathered, at idle speed, the fuel efficiency of the the newer diesels is poor, and unburned fuel can get into the oil and overtime break down the oil. I looked in my owners manual for the two newest Kubota's I have, no where does it say to let them idle. For cold weather warm up it says to let it run about 1/2 throttle for a designated period of time based on ambient temperature. Shut off procedure doesn't mention letting them idle at all before shutting them off. I don't have a turbo, but I have read/heard, some where that there may be some advantage to letting a turbo cool down for awhile by idling before shutting the engine off. Maybe a turbo owner, or someone well versed with them can verify or debunk this.

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
There was a time, when diesel engines were hard to start because of engine design, available starters, batteries etc. , when if you got one running you sure didn't want to shut it off till you were done with it! Also, with big trucks, often the engine in the old beast is the furnace and electrical system so you had to leave them running for your comfort. Most people observed this and, I guess think it's cool or something and leave their diesel pickups running while they go shopping, have breakfast ,whatever. It is hilarious to go to Walmart in the summer and listen to all those pickups idling away in the parking lot, I guess keeping the cab cool for the owner!
Yes, a diesel can be left Idle with less concern than an old carburated gas, but you are still just needlessly wearing it out and getting zero miles per gallon! why do it? True, with a turbocharged engine you should let it cool a few moments before shutting it off after a hard pull because the turbo gets so hot the oil will "coke" in the bearings leading to failure. That too was more of a problem on the old diesels but still somewhat true.
Ed