Ideas/Options for digging gutters

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Here is my problem

I have 3 tiers in by gardens above the shed. Each tier has a grass covered road between them. They are angled so the water runs down the road. At each end is an asphalt driveway that runs either side of my shed. the driveway also runs down hill.

The garden beds are bordered with sleepers and approx 60m/200ft long.

What I need to do is is cut a gutter up near the sleeper to form an open drain. I will line this latter with concrete. At one end will be a pit drain that is piped down the hill and outflow in the creek.

Im doing this to divert the water from one of the driveways. This becomes an issue in the wet season where 300mm of rain in a few hours is not abnormal.

Im thinking of using one of the box blade rippers and making a TPL attachment to hold it out beyond the wheels. I was thinking of a 45deg angle behind the TPL to be a bit kinder on it.

I have a BX32s-AU with 4in1 bucket, backhoe + thumb, box blade and scraper bar to work with

Normally I would just make a trench with the backhoe but I cant get the trench under the centerline as I cant put the wheels up on the garden. I have about 600ft to do so doing at at an angle would be a real time consuming pain.

Any other ideas?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'm having trouble visualizing your layout, can you post a sketch or pictures? I take it your tractor will fit on the grass road between each bed? So the grass is carrying part of the runoff?

Relatives in Townsville posted pictures of lasr week's deluge....not a small problem to deal with that much water.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I would mount something like this on the side of my box blade, Maybe cut off the wing on the side away from the tractor so it is more like a plow, throwing dirt in one direction.

Bruce

Attachments

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
I'm having trouble visualizing your layout, can you post a sketch or pictures? I take it your tractor will fit on the grass road between each bed? So the grass is carrying part of the runoff?

Relatives in Townsville posted pictures of lasr week's deluge....not a small problem to deal with that much water.
Yes the reactor will fit on the grass and the grass carries the runoff
The issue is I need to cut the trench outside of the wheel track as I cant run the wheels up beyond the grass

Ill grab some pics tomorrow and post them

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
I also had a suggestion to mount a ripper in place of the BH pads.
Then use the leg lowering to control the depth
Not sure that it's strong enough for that though

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
What about an offset rear scrapper blade? It took me a little while to find someone using it like what you need. What you're looking for starts about 9 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/jUedmA4WG6Q
That looks promising. He was a little hard on the flowers in the bed, but for the OP's layout a back blade might be fine. I used the pointed corner of mine to scratch up ice.