IBC container uses?

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
I admire the inventive nature of members on this forum and have learned a great deal from reading posts here. I'm curious to find out what members have used IBC containers for? I've seen them used as firewood storage units, for aquaponics, compost bins and more. I'm interested in finding out about the possibility of using a couple as a make-shift septic system. I have one mounted on the rear of an old Subaru Brumby 4x4 that we use as a fire-fighting unit, coupled to a 5hp pump and hose.
What have you used them for?

bulk-liquid-handling-container-storage.jpg

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I must ask, is a Subaru Brumby related to a Holden? :rolleyes:

I use 2 of them for rainwater containment (rainwater off my shop roof) to wash down farm equipment with. Our well water has an inordinate amount of dissolved calcium in it. Consequently, anything you wash with it turns white when it dries so I use rainwater in my pressure washer which necessitated a 12 volt pump to increase the pressure enough to feed the pressure washer pump.

One on each end of the shop roof, 700 gallons total. I did not install any overflow piping, I just keep the hoses attached to each tote at the bottom and the top end about 5" lower than the top of the tote. That way when it rains, any overflow runs out the hose end.

Been doing that for at least 5 years. I wrapped each tote in black plastic sheet and used 3M spray contact cement to adhere it. That way, little algae grows in the stored water and once in a while, I'll add a little bleach.

When winter comes and it's below freezing, I drain them both and leave them dry.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have 10 of them for 'garden water' storage. I offload a 2000G steel tank that Mother Nature refills when she wants to....
Neighbour uses one as a small septic tank,not high volume.....just his garage toilet and sink.I think 40' of weeper. Another uses one to auto fill/clean his duck pond.Once tote is full, overflow goes into duckpond.
What I've found 'fun' is that I have 3 DIFFERENT connections ! 2" cam lock and TWO different threads...
so much for 'World Standards'...sigh.....
I'd like to find a nice submersible pump that'd go into the 5.5" top hole.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I would imagine you could use them for a septic system (minus the cages). I built a system for my RV using 2 55 gallon plastic barrels and perforated 4" drain pipe. It's only for the RV not continuous use and it works quite well. Grass is nice and green on top of my leach pipes.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
No - a Subaru Brumby is not related to a Holden (GM product). They no longer make them, but they were a handy light weight 4 x 4 that many farmers here used extensively. Mine was a bush-find... had been rolled onto its side, thus the panel damage. I paid $200 for it, got it going again, put decent tyre on it, added the IBC and a Honda powered pressure pump, along with hose, nozzle etc for fire-fighting purposes. A 'fire unit' is required if you're burning anything during season, as part of the fire permit requirement (where I live anyway).
594014A1-B221-4CA5-A00D-432C1242043D.jpeg
594014A1-B221-4CA5-A00D-432C1242043D.jpeg
828EAF68-73D6-4FFA-BC53-858D71DC41F4.jpeg

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have 10 of them for 'garden water' storage. I offload a 2000G steel tank that Mother Nature refills when she wants to....
Neighbour uses one as a small septic tank,not high volume.....just his garage toilet and sink.I think 40' of weeper. Another uses one to auto fill/clean his duck pond.Once tote is full, overflow goes into duckpond.
What I've found 'fun' is that I have 3 DIFFERENT connections ! 2" cam lock and TWO different threads...

I use the 'Banjo' style cam style outlet fittings on my totes. Any 12 or 110 volt pump that will pull a descent head will suck from the top.

Both mine are the same. They held release agent for pickling steel sheet. Got them free from my old employer. They tossed them when empty.

That is a lot of garden water storage. Water is never an issue here but good water is, at least water to wash down equipment is.

I have screens in my gutters and each side empties into a catch basin with another screen inside so I don't get junk in my totes.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No - a Subaru Brumby is not related to a Holden (GM product). They no longer make them, but they were a handy light weight 4 x 4 that many farmers here used extensively. Mine was a bush-find... had been rolled onto its side, thus the panel damage. I paid $200 for it, got it going again, put decent tyre on it, added the IBC and a Honda powered pressure pump, along with hose, nozzle etc for fire-fighting purposes. A 'fire unit' is required if you're burning anything during season, as part of the fire permit requirement (where I live anyway). View attachment 47435 View attachment 47435 View attachment 47436

Like your 'roo bar too. Pretty popular up this way for deer.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
What I'm considering using them for is only a one toilet septic system (black water). We have an old caravan that back-packers use during the summer months. Due to lack of bathing facilities, they must come up to our home and use our bathroom, which my wife no longer tolerates. I'll be building a small bathroom adjacent to the caravan, with shower, basin and toilet. I intend to reticulate the grey water (shower and basin) to a simple leech drain, but must send the black water from w/c to a septic tank. As this will only be seasonal use (during our dry summer months) I can't justify putting in a conventional septic system with two huge concrete tanks, concrete leech drains etc. I'm chasing some ideas and pictures of what others may have done in this regard.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
I have 4 stacked 2by2 for firewood storage.
They have the fronts cut out for stacking access

I have one more mounted on a stand about 1m off the ground
This is used for my CNC Plasma table. The Plasma has a 3m by 1.5m table. The water table holds about 700L of fluid. I have it rigged up so when I drain the table it pumps up to the IBC. Filling the table is done by gravity and a little air pressure assist (2psi)

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
I have a few ideas, but the cheapest I have seen these things was $60 each, and that was just once. Most here are asking $120 - $200 each. I will go without before I pay that.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
For cheap totes, call the local 'lawn care' companies ! They have to dispose of the totes they get fertilizer in every so often. I scored 15 or 40 totes a few years back. Had to get 'creative' in hauling them.
When using them 'underground', they need to be in their cages AND tin around them. Keeps the backfill from collapsing the sidewalls. Be sure to put tin/wood on the btm too..

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I use them as rain barrels to water the gardens.

I also use them as watering cans using my tractor forks for newly transplanted trees. I put on a hydraulic gate valve to actuate from the cab and refill from the pond with a 2” gas pump.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
I have 4 stacked 2by2 for firewood storage.
They have the fronts cut out for stacking access

I have one more mounted on a stand about 1m off the ground
This is used for my CNC Plasma table. The Plasma has a 3m by 1.5m table. The water table holds about 700L of fluid. I have it rigged up so when I drain the table it pumps up to the IBC. Filling the table is done by gravity and a little air pressure assist (2psi)
Would love to see some photos if you can.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
For cheap totes, call the local 'lawn care' companies ! They have to dispose of the totes they get fertilizer in every so often. I scored 15 or 40 totes a few years back. Had to get 'creative' in hauling them.
When using them 'underground', they need to be in their cages AND tin around them. Keeps the backfill from collapsing the sidewalls. Be sure to put tin/wood on the btm too..
Good advice about the tin to support them. Thanks!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
My usage is a bit different...$45 on facebook marketplace.

Cherry picker 2.JPG
cherry picker in action3.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
My usage is a bit different...$45 on facebook marketplace.

View attachment 47453 View attachment 47455
Very inventive. Not sure about the legalities, or safety compliance, but nevertheless it looks functional and I must admit to using my pallet forks with pallet as a means to lift a person to clean gutters etc. The IBC cage would provide a sense of security and something to hold on to also.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Very inventive. Not sure about the legalities, or safety compliance
kvc - I’m just poking some fun at dirtydeed. We’ve chuckled about it a couple times. It really is a cool idea.

You might need to look at picture #2 a little closer....... I did...🤓

A couple weeks ago he said the attire was just fine.....no safety britches required.....😎