I think I may have found the problem...

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
pump.jpg

With the pump on that free Porter-Cable compressor.

I picked up two 80 gallon two-stage 5HP compressors off Craigslist for free.

ir.jpg

I was able to scrounge enough parts off the P-C to fix the Ingersoll-Rand which is a MUCH better unit - all cast iron vs. the aluminum throw-away junk on the P-C.

I should be able to sell the P-C tank (bore-scoped it, looks good on the inside) for enough to cover a magnetic motor starter and various bits and pieces to install the I-R in the garage.

When I built my new shop down in back, I moved the big Quincy down there. It didn't take long to realize that not having air in the garage (right next to the house) was a pain in the butt. Been looking for a "blow up tires and spread dust around in the woodworking shop" compressor for a while. 80 gallons @ 175 PSI should cover that...

Reactions: 3 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was told one time that some pistons and rod from B&S motors will work in some piston compressors

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
When I built my new shop down in back, I moved the big Quincy down there. It didn't take long to realize that not having air in the garage (right next to the house) was a pain in the butt.

How far is the shop from the house? I just ran 3/4" poly pipe (250 PSI) from my garage out to my shed (80 feet), to another location in the yard (60' the other direction) and from a corner of the house out about 20'. Not plumbed in yet, but this will give me compressed air well away from the house. It was part of another trenching project for my well line - had to replace it. I just ran the 3/4" along with water lines.

I know it's not "officially" rated for compressed air, but I've been researching it and a lot of people are doing it successfully. Unlike PVC, poly won't shatter and send shrapnel around if it lets go, and it's a whale of a lot cheaper than the fancy aluminum air lines that are avaible for an arm and a leg. Plan to do my garage distribution with the same stuff, and even one into the house for the basement.

Been looking for a "blow up tires and spread dust around in the woodworking shop" compressor for a while. 80 gallons @ 175 PSI should cover that...
That should do it! (y)