I Stole a $859 Hot Water Heater from HD a couple days ago!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Not on purpose, but I did it! Current price is $859. I took it out the door, no questions asked. Not paid for!

The hot water heater I bought at HD 23 months ago started leaking. I contacted the manufacturer, and they said take it back and get another one. I took it back. The customer service person gave me a store credit, and said do you need someone to help you find it? Here is your store credit receipt. She told me where to go and someone would be there to help. I grabbed a cart and headed over.

A guy FINALLY shows up, finds the water heater, gets a forklift, brings it down and we put it on the cart. I think things are settled and just take the cart out of the store, and get a HD guy that I see in the parking lot to help me put it in the van. Not that heavy, but the carts do not have locking wheels, so by yourself it is a cumbersome job.

Get home and start to wonder how they made the transaction happen. Figured something wasn't right. So I cut the labels off the box and went back to customer service the next day, to make sure all was kosher.

Woman says "I gave you a cash card as a store credit yesterday."

I say "NO, I never got any card. I did get this receipt though."

"I gave the card to you myself..."

"I never saw it! Let me look in my wallet just in case. IF you gave it to me it should be in there."

IT WAS IN MY WALLET!

Turns out I stole the water heater, but went back to make sure things were right. Gave the cash card back, and she sold the water heater for the same price I paid two years ago, roughly a $60 plus tax discount.

I feel good about being honest and receiving something in return. Had I been dishonest, I could have had a $867 cash card to spend on whatever I wanted though! AND a new water heater. BUT the whole thing would never had happened to begin with, if I had realized she had given me the cash card, and that I was supposed to use it to buy a replacement at the current price.

She comforted me by telling me that: "if you had dropped that card, whoever picked it up could have used it and you would have been out of luck..." Of course, then I would also have had to pay for the water heater that I admitted stealing!

Would have been better if she had put the card on top of the receipt where I would have seen it to begin with. At least it ended up in my wallet and not on the floor.

Reactions: 5 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Same thing as having an open title for a vehicle (why it's illegal in most states), someone puts their name in that space and they own that vehicle, no if and or buts.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
and now you have a receipt in case something goes wrong with the new one. Hopefully it will be longer than 23 months this time!

Reactions: 1 user

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Glad you caught your self, does seem like an odd way to handle an exchange though. Normally they go get the new unit and do everything at once and you leave.

mike0000

Equipment
Kubota L3901, RTV900
Sep 15, 2021
Southern Indiana
Glad you caught your self, does seem like an odd way to handle an exchange though. Normally they go get the new unit and do everything at once and you leave.
I agree, I‘ve returned quite a few defective purchases in the past. I’m usually told to go get the replacement and bring it to the return desk, but I can see how a water heater would be a bit cumbersome to do that.
Good on you for returning to the store to correct the mistake.

Mike

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Good man Henro,
I did a short part time stink at Lowes. It was amazing the dollar value of the product that just walked out the door.
Funny part was that the people security would track were not the ones taking the big ticket items.
Many times I would see a 'suspect' get to the counter and start to empty his pockets because he forgot to grab a cart and just used his pockets as a cart .
And then a local contractor walked out with a generator and the pro-loader help put it in the truck,
Crazy world.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Actions like yours show there is some humanity and decency in the world.
Doing the right thing is not always "in our favor".
But I bet you slept better at night doing it!

Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Honesty is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.

Good job Henro !

Reactions: 1 users

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
Nice Job ! Personally i love my local Home Depot, They have been very good to me, i wouldn't cheat them out a penny

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We ended with a higher end dryer then what we actually purchased. We paid for the washer and dryer (matched set). Wife handled the purchase, then son and I swung by with the truck later on to pick them up.

Showed the worker the receipt and I asked if these two boxes were the correct ones for our order. Employee said yes.

Got home, unboxed them, installed the washer, dragged the dryer in next to washer and realized they didn't match 🤔🤔🤔🤔.

Called my sister in law and asked her about it since she worked for the same company (different location) that we purchased the washer and dryer from.

She said not to worry about it. They probably substituted the higher end model because they were out of the one we purchased.