I hate my new L3901

Bigron

May 12, 2017
To united states
I have owned several kubota tractors but the new one with the region is the worst tractor I have ever owned. This thing goes into a region cycle and then goes to a parked regin for about 40 min. What a waste of fuel and time. If kubota can't do better than this I have naught my last one

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
for us neewbs...

what does this mean? what regens?

does it overheat & shut off?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
for us neewbs...

what does this mean? what regens?

does it overheat & shut off?
Regens.... the cycle the vehicle has to go thru to clean out exhaust system to prepare for next "X?" number of hours use. Rigs must use some system like Regeneration many use to pass EPA regulations.

So it is not a kubota issue... Anger is misdirected. This is an EPA mandate issue and all the tractor manufacturers are trying to figure out how in the hell to meet them in a logical manner.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I have owned several kubota tractors but the new one with the region is the worst tractor I have ever owned. This thing goes into a region cycle and then goes to a parked regin for about 40 min. What a waste of fuel and time. If kubota can't do better than this I have naught my last one
in reality this is not a Kubota issue... Your anger is misdirected. This is an EPA mandate issue and ALL the tractor manufacturers are trying to figure out how in the hell to meet it in a logical manner.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
We need to be able to tell the epa to stuff it. Far worse things in the world than a Kubota, like about every Dodge Caravan you see puffing smoke like a train. It'll be nice when someone figures out how to delete that crap like they did on the new JD's.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Bigron, I believe your tractor is not behaving normally for that model. It is possible that you are not following the directions for use correctly, or that there is something wrong with that particular tractor. It is still under warranty so before you do anything to the tractor, call your dealer.

For most of the L3901s and 4701s people are reporting that the tractor dpf filter requires a regen about every 30 hrs or so, and it lasts about 10 min. That is also the behavior of my 3560. If the tractor goes into a parked regen, something has gone wrong. Ask your dealer to go over the process with you. Do you have the owner's manual?

It is not so simple as blaming the EPA, the congress and the manufacturers have responsibility too. Kubota has done a good job with the L tractors, most people are happy with them. Their overall fuel economy including that needed for regens is still good. Most people continue working during regen so it is not wasted fuel.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
My L4701 has averaged about 5 hrs between regens but I did have some low rpm work during the first three. Since the last regen I have been running it wfo for the most part except for a short interval swapping an implement. Last regen was at 15.8 hrs and took 15 minutes and I am now at 20 hrs. I will see how long it goes until the next one. The regen process has been flawless other than doing it on a 5 hour average. If this continues I will talk with my dealer and see if this is normal for my tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
We need to be able to tell the epa to stuff it. Far worse things in the world than a Kubota, like about every Dodge Caravan you see puffing smoke like a train. It'll be nice when someone figures out how to delete that crap like they did on the new JD's.
Hey, don't knock Dodge Caravans. That's mosquito repellent.
:D

Welcome to the forum! As the others have expressed, don't get upset with Kubota. It's the EPA that sets standards and mandates faster than the manufacturers can keep up with.

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Hey, send a complaint to the White House. The owner there now is issuing change orders to cut back all that crap.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
BigRon -

I don't have any experience with the regens on Kubotas, but sheepfarmer has been our local expert since she bought one herself.

She knows a lot about the tier IV systems.

She's not just tossing suggestions....use her experience. It may help.

I also agree with the other guys' EPA sentiments, but that doesn't help right now.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I also have a new L3901 and I have had no issues at all. I believe something is wrong with your tractor. I have heard very few people complaining about the tier 4 Kubotas, other than the early B3350s.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am also in the dark on the problem...What is this regen everyone is talking about?

Thanks
For background info go to the sticky at the top of the Tractor Operating forum and look for a long thread about dpf filters and other tier 4 information. There are a bunch of links to information about dpf filters with PICTURES (we like pictures on OTT) :D

Basically regeneration is the process by which the tractor burns off soot particles which have accumulated in the Diesel Particulate Filter. The dpf is the last stop in the exhaust stream. Regeneration increases the temperature of the exhaust so the particles are burned. The strategy to increase the temp varies in different models of tractor.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
When I bought my tractor back in 2013. That rumor of the smog crap that was coming tier3 or something like that push me to buy now before all that junk is added.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Correct. It's EPA mandated. Actually.....the regeneration system is NOT mandated, but the type and amount of exhaust emission is. How the manufacturer achieves that is up to them, and the cheapest least invasive way to do it is currently the system that almost all manufacturers use; and it don't matter if it's orange, green, yellow, pink, purple, or pepto pink with green and purple polka dots-every USA tractor is required by law to meet the same standards. At one point, there were credits available, which manufactuers could buy-which would prolong the process of converting to Tier IV standards. I think Mahindra is still doing some of the ~30hp stuff without a DPF but that wont' last forever either. Plus Mahindra is a pile of steaming feces as far as tractors go. And that's coming from someone who used to love them.

Under 25hp is not required to meet the same stringent emissions as the >25hp. So some companies have de-rated some tractors to, for instance, 24.8hp, to avoid putting it on their tractors-and that marketing tactic is apparently working. The Kubota L2501 is VERY popular-and no DPF and of course no regen cycle.

The 3301/3901 system is really simple in it's basic design. Think of it as a filter. The government don't want any soot to come out of diesel tailpipes (not since 2007.5 anyway), so basically all you have is a catalytic converter and a big screen type deal inside the muffler. The cat doesn't have anything to do with anything other than cleaning up some of the gases, just like cars have had since the 1970's. The DPF-or diesel particulate filter (diesel particulates are what we call soot) is just a high tech screen that catches the soot. Over time the soot builds up and it's got to be burned off. That is the "regeneration" (or regen) cycle. And it's simple.

Run the engine at or near full rpm and load, it won't regen very often because there's enough heat in the system to burn off the soot during regular operation. But not everyone runs their tractor that way. Many of us idle around. Start it cold, drive to the mailbox, shut it off, get the mail, fire it back and drive another 100 yard back to the house. It never gets hot. Soot builds up. Then you get a little light in the dash that is a picture of a engine with what looks like something going through it-that is the regen cycle lamp. When that comes on, just raise the RPM to nearly full throttle and it'll perform it's own regen while you are working the tractor. The only time you need a parked regen is if it starts beeping. Once an operator figures this out, it becomes seamless-and most of the time you don't even realize that it's doing it as it becomes second nature.

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
You need to make sure that you have no loose connections on the filter. We had one the lot that was doing the same thing. Found out that tech bumped one of the connections that fell off while we stole the hood to repair a customers unit in a timely fashion. Another one of waiting for sheet metal for the newer units:rolleyes:

And yes like the others have said, run it like you stole it.

Pat

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock

Under 25hp is not required to meet the same stringent emissions as the >25hp. So some companies have de-rated some tractors to, for instance, 24.8hp, to avoid putting it on their tractors-and that marketing tactic is apparently working. The Kubota L2501 is VERY popular-and no DPF and of course no regen cycle.
OK,
that makes sense... I didn't think my BX23 had anything on it.....

BTW,
As a truck driver I have been dealing with this EPA stuff for a few years now...
sounds like Kubota is using older technology ... the newer systems use DEF fluid. which is another hassle... and cost.

these entire systems are a huge cost.... If I'm not mistaken, they can only regenerate for so many times.... before the element gets clogged and needs replacement. $$$$$$