I gota vent

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So this morning I head to the supermarket to pick things up for a pot of Guinness stew. Now this place has everything I needed including Guinness. And since I only need 2 cans (4 pack) the 2 other would sooth my soul later this evening. Woman says you have to check out the beer here,,OK cool,, she says I need your drivers licence, right I dont look like I am old enough! So I show her and she reaches for it. I pulled it back and said what do you need? She says " I HAVE TO COPY IT AND CHECK IF YOU HAVE ANY DUI'S". SAY WHAT? SHe said if you have any dui's we wont sell you the beer. I thought she was being silly, she said no licence no beer,, I said cool and left everything sitting in the cart and walked out,, OK so I head to the beer store Ill get a case and go to another store to get what I need, THE BEER STORE IS CLOSED, open from 11:00 to 15:00 WTF Thank you Kommandant Wolf
So Im going to make a PB&J samich!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you go to Tractor Supply and buy a spray can of paint, you get ID'd as well.

But if you buy CPVC cement you don't. CPVC cement is same as liquid model airplane glue so it you are a bagger you are good to go and huff...

Stupid rules.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Similar for butane for my cigar lighter. In a pinch I can use my plumbing torch and screw on a small bottle of propane. Less hassle and it always lights.

Why in the world would a grocery clerk have access to see if there are DUI's? I'd walk as well. Have not had the hassle for spray paint

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
background checks for beer? Just keeps getting more and more crazy every day.

Talked to a guy here in Maine who owns a small distillery thinking about opening a speakeasy like old days.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Wow, background checks for beer? We run background checks on employees and have to get all the paperwork signed and provide them with copies.

How can a grocery store have the right to run a check?

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Skeets I feel for you, sounds like you need some soothing tractor seat time. I thankfully haven't dealt with the PA State Stores since college, but my patience with some of the regs and just peoples common sense is less as I get older.

Here in CO we kept the the liquor stores and MJ shops open with take out service as I guess they were essential, but thats another story. Big surge in sales the week the govt. checks started to hit.

I did get asked my age Wednesday at the Safeway and wondered what I had bought to precipitate that question, but was pleasantly surprised that it was "Happy Day - 10% discount for Seniors". Almost made it worth the trip.

Now back to my tractor therapy.....

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
How can a grocery store have the right to run a check?
I doubt they have the right, it's probably liability based from our sue happy society.
Bars are constantly getting sued for serving one too many drinks and the drunk customer then getting in an accident, or getting a DUI.

What is a million lawyers at the bottom of the Marianas Trench?
A good start.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
So this morning I head to the supermarket to pick things up for a pot of Guinness stew. Now this place has everything I needed including Guinness. And since I only need 2 cans (4 pack) the 2 other would sooth my soul later this evening. Woman says you have to check out the beer here,,OK cool,, she says I need your drivers licence, right I dont look like I am old enough! So I show her and she reaches for it. I pulled it back and said what do you need? She says " I HAVE TO COPY IT AND CHECK IF YOU HAVE ANY DUI'S". SAY WHAT? SHe said if you have any dui's we wont sell you the beer. I thought she was being silly, she said no licence no beer,, I said cool and left everything sitting in the cart and walked out,, OK so I head to the beer store Ill get a case and go to another store to get what I need, THE BEER STORE IS CLOSED, open from 11:00 to 15:00 WTF Thank you Kommandant Wolf
So Im going to make a PB&J samich!

And the store clerk said, as you walked out, "We scared away another DUI" lol. Ive never drank a sip of alcohol in my life, much less purchased it, or tobacco, but I suspect its down to some policy. Likely just following orders. I do wonder however if they can legally refuse the sale of beer to someone with a DUI. This would seem like a form of discrimination. It would have to be backed up by legislative authority I would think, and even then Id seriously wonder about the longevity of the measure against legal challenges. Short of it being a new state law, I dont see how a store could do this, and also how are they running legal background checks on folks at a grocery store cash register? Lot of questions!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I doubt they have the right, it's probably liability based from our sue happy society.
Bars are constantly getting sued for serving one too many drinks and the drunk customer then getting in an accident, or getting a DUI.

What is a million lawyers at the bottom of the Marianas Trench?
A good start.
Yep. Happened in Toledo not long ago. The bartender was held criminally liable for serving too many drinks to someone that got in a bar fight and killed another patron.

Not me, I don't drink alcohol.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
We went to Danali 2 yrs ago and every restaurant I ate in asked for DL if I had beer or a wine. Alaska I was explained has a designator on a DUI offenders DL and they cannot be served booze

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I don't understand why so many criminals in prison have so many rights and we as good tax paying citizens put up with this.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Never trust a man who doesn't drink. :rolleyes:

Winston Churchill

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
...What is a million lawyers at the bottom of the Marianas Trench?
A good start.
A long time ago NY and NJ were given a choice. One of you has to take the lawyers and one of you has to take the waste dumps.

They gave NJ first choice.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
I just searched for laws in PA on alcohol and was not able to find the back ground check. Must be real new, but not even found anything close to it. Did this just happen or is this just a one store thing?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I just searched for laws in PA on alcohol and was not able to find the back ground check. Must be real new, but not even found anything close to it. Did this just happen or is this just a one store thing?
Ill bet its more business/store related driven by the business liability insurances than an actual law or legal restriction.

But sounds like the actual liquor stores where closed up and not an option likely due to a governors signature.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Never could figure out that if it's illegal to drink and drive, why do some bars have parking lots?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Never could figure out that if it's illegal to drink and drive, why do some bars have parking lots?
And drive up windows.
Skeet what happens if you don't have a license? Tell the cashier you lost your license like Sammy Hagar, Can't Drive 55.