I get this from time to time, anyone have a cure?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Oops! We ran into some problems.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
To answer your question though on a serious note (if you're actually interested lol) Many websites now prompt you regarding the use of cookies on their website. Websites didn't used to let you know, the cookies were just stored on your computer without any prompt or acknowledgement. Increased privacy laws in Europe however have been much more aggressive than here in the states to protect individual privacy. As a result of laws passed in Europe many companies just instituted platform wide changes to comply with the European laws, and just to be better safe than sorry, they just use the same set of guidelines worldwide, part of which is these new cookie prompts to just let you know that they use cookies and that in order to opt out you will have to leave their site.

If you dont know what cookies are, they are tiny files stored on your machine that a website can access in browsing. These cookies are used to track you online. Ever wonder why you can look at a certain product on amazon, and then a few days later you see an ad on another website that is advertising the same products you had just been shopping for? This is done via cookies. Ad's are targeting you via the use of the cookie files.

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I prefer Nutter Butter double stuff's myself. CCleaner gets rid of all the 'cookies' and everything else tracking related.

All about analytics and minding YOUR business for you....and, your browsing habits are a marketable item too.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
To answer your question though on a serious note (if you're actually interested lol) Many websites now prompt you regarding the use of cookies on their website. Websites didn't used to let you know, the cookies were just stored on your computer without any prompt or acknowledgement. Increased privacy laws in Europe however have been much more aggressive than here in the states to protect individual privacy. As a result of laws passed in Europe many companies just instituted platform wide changes to comply with the European laws, and just to be better safe than sorry, they just use the same set of guidelines worldwide, part of which is these new cookie prompts to just let you know that they use cookies and that in order to opt out you will have to leave their site.

If you dont know what cookies are, they are tiny files stored on your machine that a website can access in browsing. These cookies are used to track you online. Ever wonder why you can look at a certain product on amazon, and then a few days later you see an ad on another website that is advertising the same products you had just been shopping for? This is done via cookies. Ad's are targeting you via the use of the cookie files.
First off thanks for the replies. This I understand but when it happens I can't find an option anywhere to allow me to except cookies. It only happens on this site since the change over like this morning when trying to post on ear candy but then when I opened up a new window and tried to post, no problem, went right through. Ok, now you've got me hungry, almost time to throw a deer burger on the grill, yum.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have Malwarebytes Premium and of course Windows Security. I also clear my cookies and cache each day, but I'm sure that the cookie still crumbles. :unsure:

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
When these messages come up what happens when you click on the X instead of Decline or Accept? Sometimes I don't click on anything but keep scrolling through the article and have a limited area to read, cookie message stays. My favorites are butter brickle and chocolate chip homemade by my wife.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
First off thanks for the replies. This I understand but when it happens I can't find an option anywhere to allow me to except cookies. It only happens on this site since the change over like this morning when trying to post on ear candy but then when I opened up a new window and tried to post, no problem, went right through. Ok, now you've got me hungry, almost time to throw a deer burger on the grill, yum.

If youre having trouble with a site in this way it would suggest to me you are blocking cookies somehow. Perhaps a security software is doing it, or maybe a setting toggled in your browser of choice. Also - make sure your browser is up to date. Anytime a website comes up and says "sorry you must allow cookies to use our site" and then stops you there without any prompt, then it is because the cookie is being blocked or prevented somehow.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Serious thanks to Tornado for the tech info! (y)

And it's soft peanut butter cookies!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
A word on cookies and a little clarification.

A cookie on your system can ONLY be accessed by the URL that stored it. A 3rd party site can NOT go rummaging around your cookies. That would be a huge security issue.

www.amazon.com can not read a cookie written by www.ebay.com

It is down to the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) not just the main domain.

store.amazon.com can NOT read a cookie written by www.amazon.com

Not all cookies are bad.
Many times your site preferences are stored in a cookie.
What you were last looking at (shopping sites, search, forums etc).

The only way for a cookie to be seen by someone else is when the original writer of the cookie shares it. IMPORTANT NOTE: There are apps that YOU can load (or a third party app can side-load) that will examine cookies on a system, they are the real issue, not the cookies by themselves.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Many browsers have extensions that allow you to block java script which stops a Lot of the snooping. Some stuff will not work unless you allow it. Most of the time I just move on unless there is something I really want to see.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I had this problem too. The "cure" is clearing the cookies and data for this site, then coming back. Will be in your browser privacy and security settings.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Don't 'clear all cookies' if you do ANY online banking or ordering. If you do then you'll erase usernames/passwords/setup config for banks and others. THAT can be a real PITA. Now your browser 'should' allow you save a 'do not delete these cookies'. I know Firefox does. If not, then manuall go through the 'cookies' and delete the ones you don't know. If you've never done that, it can(will) be 1,000s of them.... Once purges/cleaned up , the PC will run faster.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Don't 'clear all cookies' if you do ANY online banking or ordering. If you do then you'll erase usernames/passwords/setup config for banks and others. THAT can be a real PITA. Now your browser 'should' allow you save a 'do not delete these cookies'. I know Firefox does. If not, then manuall go through the 'cookies' and delete the ones you don't know. If you've never done that, it can(will) be 1,000s of them.... Once purges/cleaned up , the PC will run faster.
Thanks but you're just a tad too late. Not a problem though, my computer remembers my passwords and automatically puts them back in for me. As for running faster well that would take a different internet provider but we only have a few here, none of them any good.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
CCleaner (in the options menu) will allow you to keep the cookies you want and remove the ones (tracking cookies) you don't want in the options menu. I run Ad Block on the front end and CCleaner in the background. Have for years. Both good add on's.