I forgot to release hydraulic pressure when disconnecting my BX23S backhoe. What do I do now?

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I can't re-connect my backhoe because i forgot to release the pressure when disconnecting. I see there is an Irwin clamp tool to do this, but that doesn't seem like a good idea. Is there an official way to atone for my mistake and get it back connected?

Thanks!

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Put a rag over the ball end and push against somewhere stiff and fluid will squirt out and relieve pressure. Watch out though it can come out hard and hurt you. The old timers on the farm used to push their thumb into FM end to relieve pressure but I sure wouldn’t try that.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Not sure of your problem, but I'll give it a shot. If you're saying the quick coupler has too much pressure to allow you to push it on, just press the center "button" in the fitting to release the pressure. Just use a flat surface that will fit in there.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
“just” push harder when coupling it 😜

Joking aside, if you can rig something to give you mechanical advantage while coupling (w/o wrecking the alignment), that will be safest.

**danger follows - this is not advice** For male coupler ends, I’ve covered the end with thick towels and whacked the ball/nipple with hammer to unseat it and release the pressure. Assuming there’s no air in the system, it doesn’t take much volume release to dramatically drop the pressure. The danger is that high velocity oil can pierce the skin and poison you. Need heavy gloves, long sleeves, eye and face PPE, etc…

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Put a rag over the ball end and push against somewhere stiff and fluid will squirt out and relieve pressure. Watch out though it can come out hard and hurt you. The old timers on the farm used to push their thumb into FM end to relieve pressure but I sure wouldn’t try that.
I'm guessing that I'm confused because I didn't specify that the couplers are flat faced. There is no ball end to push. Is the corresponding side the male or female end? I'd guess male, but I don't know for sure. Or is it always the end coming from the backhoe? There are multiple connections I have to make.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
BH loop circuits don't hold pressure, so I'm a little confused.
Do you have the tractor running?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did it droop or is it being supported by the hydraulics on the BH?
It shouldn't be, and if it's not, move the controls around to take the pressure off the line.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
There are tools specifically made to decompress quick couplers. Even if you don’t purchase one, the below video should demonstrate what you’re needing to do, whether it’s with a towel and hammer, smacking on a hardwood block, etc.

The other option is to loosen the coupler until it leaks and releases pressure, then retighten and connect. For the female connectors only way I’m aware of to release pressure is loosening the connection until it leaks and retighten. Whatever you do, it should NOT involve having your hands or any other body parts in a position where the hydraulic fluid can be injected into you.

Of course on the tractor side, I’m sure you know you can relieve pressure by shutting down the engine and cycling the associated valve.

Reactions: 1 user

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Did it droop or is it being supported by the hydraulics on the BH?
I'm really sorry, but I don't understand your question. The backhoe is on the ground and I backed up the tractor to it to connect and I can't get the couplers to connect no matter how hard I push them together. Is there some other aspect I'm not thinking about? What would droop in this situation?
Thank you for your help!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the BH is NOT supported hydraulically, like the boom is holding it up, just move the BH control levers and the pressure in the lines will equalize, and you should be able to connect at least one end, then do it again and the other will pop right on.

Or just loosen the Quick disconnect on the line and that will release any pressure and you'll be able to attach it.

Reactions: 1 user

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I had the same issue, sun had heated it up also increasing the hydraulic pressure, at nite when it cooled down I was able to get it to bleed. If you have to, use wrenches like taking off the hose to relieve it. Good luck.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I had this happen to me. Even bleeding the pressure as much as I could out of the end of the fitting, I still couldn't them on. I ended up using a floor jack to lift the center of the backhoe and take the pressure off of the riggers, boom, etc. Then I got them. This was one time I didn't block it. I usually block it underneath and never have a problem

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Good news - I tried again this morning when it was in the mid 30s and they connected no problem! Thanks for help everyone!

Reactions: 2 users