"I don't read and I'm proud of it"

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
(Note the quotes)

Anyone heard of this app "Blinkest"?

It summarizes books for you, into 15-minute snippets that you can listen to, instead of reading the book.

I suppose I kinda get it, maybe, sorta, no not really.

I don't think I'm any less busy than most, but I don't get wanting to skip on reading for education or entertainment. Ok, maybe if you want quick summaries of a few books that you're considering digging into, but not as a practice. Also not too sure how much I would trust it on anything political or controversial.

But I think what bothers me the most is the ad I've been hearing recently where they guy seems almost proud of the fact that he "blinks" books instead of reading them.

I've worked with people who have told me they haven't read a book since college. Not something I understand: I haven't read a book since last night.

Probably just me being curmudgeony (not sure if I'm old enough to do that legitimately though). But I had to vent. Thanks for listening.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I wana see them do war and peace or the Iliad in 15 min

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
(Note the quotes)

Anyone heard of this app "Blinkest"?

It summarizes books for you, into 15-minute snippets that you can listen to, instead of reading the book.
I find I save even more time by not bothering with such things...and by only reading what I have a specific interest or need to read.

Of course, OTT doesn't apply in my case...LOL...many times over...

Reactions: 1 user

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
No one should be proud of being deliberately lazy, yet they are.
I read, all the time. I am also working on stuff all the time.
The old adage of 'do nothing of no value' applies. How many waste their time and complain they have no time?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, WC68 chipper, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500 rotary cutter, etc.
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Lack of substantive reading by some large percentage of the population explains quite a lot about the current societal climate in the US.

Reactions: 3 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
No one should be proud of being deliberately lazy, yet they are.
I read, all the time. I am also working on stuff all the time.
The old adage of 'do nothing of no value' applies. How many waste their time and complain they have no time?
I think that's what bugged me the most. In the ad I'm talking about, the guy says something about stars, and the girl is impressed: "You must read a lot". His response is along the lines of "No, I don't read, I use blinkist so I don't have to"

I GET that it's an ad, but that approach is appealing to laziness.

Get a summary of a few books you're considering / comparing BEFORE reading? Fine. Using "cliff notes" for full understanding? Not so much.

I suppose the hour-ish in the evening I spend watching my shows may not be of value, but it's also the only time I'm not doing something, so it has relaxation value at least. And half the time I'm watching DIY, woodworking, or cooking shows so I'm still learning something (usually)

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Actually, thinking about it, I do read a lot, but only for the purpose of gaining information that I can use at the moment. I do not read fiction at all these days, and have not for a long time.

When I want to numb my mind, what I do is watch the Star Trek series on Netflix. There are a lot (A LOT) of episodes, and believer it or not, a man like me cannot remember all the details.

OR I watch football on the commercial channels. But not much any more. Same net effect.

I think both Star Trek and football server the same purpose...push reality into the background for a while..

NOT complaining...works for me...LOL