I am jacked this morning

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Early inthe week the gas company let a note saying they were going to work on the lines. And they would be installing a gas tank for temp use while the work was going on. COOL gas I dont have to pay for. However either last night or this morning the gas tank runs dry. So I called the gas company and explained my problem to "COUSTOMER CARE". And after taking all the information that should have been displayed on the data base when your phone number is typed in, I get well yes there is an outage in your area. Well no shit! I know there is an outage but the temp gas tank they set is EMPTY, no stove, no hot water, no furnace nada. Im sorry but it shows they should be finished today,,, OK fine they finish,, what about my gas? Well Sir someone should be out to hook you up sometime today. SOMETIME today? Yes sir we dont know when they MIGHT get there. OK so can you give me a time frame like between 1500 to say 1800 so I will be here?
No ,just some time to day. So if I go to the store and I miss them then what, you can call and will send someone out to turn your gas on and start your appliances. And how long might that take, usually in 24 hours. It surely is a good thing its not real cold, they do check the weather before hand sir. GRRRRRRRRR
Now can I interest you in line insur,,,,

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Early inthe week the gas company let a note saying they were going to work on the lines. And they would be installing a gas tank for temp use while the work was going on. COOL gas I dont have to pay for. However either last night or this morning the gas tank runs dry. So I called the gas company and explained my problem to "COUSTOMER CARE". And after taking all the information that should have been displayed on the data base when your phone number is typed in, I get well yes there is an outage in your area. Well no shit! I know there is an outage but the temp gas tank they set is EMPTY, no stove, no hot water, no furnace nada. Im sorry but it shows they should be finished today,,, OK fine they finish,, what about my gas? Well Sir someone should be out to hook you up sometime today. SOMETIME today? Yes sir we dont know when they MIGHT get there. OK so can you give me a time frame like between 1500 to say 1800 so I will be here?
No ,just some time to day. So if I go to the store and I miss them then what, you can call and will send someone out to turn your gas on and start your appliances. And how long might that take, usually in 24 hours. It surely is a good thing its not real cold, they do check the weather before hand sir. GRRRRRRRRR
Generator time? And a hot plate to cook on? Kerosene camping stove?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I started home-brewing as a hobby last year. That takes a lot of large cooking hardware and something big enough to heat it. So, I bought a wicked burner that's about 8" across and on a 16 x 16 welded stand. That encouraged me to keep a second 15 lb Propane bottle handy as the burner now competes with our grill. I can boil 10 gallons of water in just under 4 minutes with that beast so that even without power, we can still have a hot bath. We had a 3 day power outage late last year after a pretty big storm. That burner came in mighty handy, along with an Ozark Trail knockoff of a Yeti cooler. We put all the cold stuff in the cooler with one bag of ice. About the time we were considering another bag of ice, the lights came back on.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
We heat with propane, we switched companies after the first winter because twice we ran out. They were supposed to be filling every 21 days. They were always late. They tried to charge me $400 to pick up their rental tanks. After 6 months of fighting them to let me drop them off, I gave up and asked for their mailing address so I could charge them 6 months storage...... 2 days later they picked up their tanks. Current company is awesome. Driver is friendly, even gave me a recommendation on a garage heater and the location to put my garage tank.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
sheepfarmer yeah I could have gone out too to eat, I think the the thing that PO'ed me was the lackadaisical attitude of the girl on the phone. I know what it is like to work and have people counting on you. But, the we dont care about you, Im here because I have to be, and you are interrupting my facebook time. I guess, the days of, I understand Sir, I will try to get in touch with the foreman as quickly as I can, and get you all fixed up. I mean even if its BS which you know it is, the point that someone is sounding like they are taking your problem seriously, makes a difference. I guess I really am becoming and old curmudgeon

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
sheepfarmer yeah I could have gone out too to eat, I think the the thing that PO'ed me was the lackadaisical attitude of the girl on the phone. I know what it is like to work and have people counting on you. But, the we dont care about you, Im here because I have to be, and you are interrupting my facebook time. I guess, the days of, I understand Sir, I will try to get in touch with the foreman as quickly as I can, and get you all fixed up. I mean even if its BS which you know it is, the point that someone is sounding like they are taking your problem seriously, makes a difference. I guess I really am becoming and old curmudgeon
Yeah I get it. You're lucky if they give you a time bracket like morning or afternoon. And no you couldn't go out to eat, sure as shooting they would show up 30 seconds after you left. I have encountered a company, Pella windows, that make an appt 2 hour window, they double check it, and repair guy gives you a half hour heads up when he leaves previous job. But that is unusual.

Are you back online?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes Ma'am they got all hooked back up, it wasnt cold chilly but not cold,, so things werent bad,, just the customer service kinda up set me

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Yeah I get it. You're lucky if they give you a time bracket like morning or afternoon. And no you couldn't go out to eat, sure as shooting they would show up 30 seconds after you left. I have encountered a company, Pella windows, that make an appt 2 hour window, they double check it, and repair guy gives you a half hour heads up when he leaves previous job. But that is unusual.

Are you back online?
Glass Doctor is another one, but they give you a choice of three 15 minute windows within a 1 hour period of their scheduled appointment. That lets you bump the appointment a little if you haven't finished your hamburger yet. They're ALWAYS on time, and quick, too. Replaced the windshield in my truck twice in one week. Took a BIG rock the day after I got the first one replaced. Guy looked at me a little funny when he saw my red Ford again, and kinda freaked out when he saw the rock did the same damage in the same place as the one he'd pulled out three days before. Ya can't make this stuff up, I tell ya. The only luck I have is BAD.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes Ma'am they got all hooked back up, it wasnt cold chilly but not cold,, so things werent bad,, just the customer service kinda up set me
Yep. Was dealing yesterday with someone who was of the "don't you worry your little head about this, we wouldn't do business with someone who didn't do x or y" and I just laughed. A contractor's point person about their subs....

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I live in a rural town in MA, I have my own well, septic, propane and a back-up generator. I went thru 3 propane companies until I finally got the one I have now and they are the best! All I need to do is call, the girl on the phone will either make an appointment or transfer me to someone who can help. As for the other items, my septic company checks every 2 yrs and only pumps when necessary, my well is tested every year, but had a problem with the town water department one time as they wanted to come into the house to check my water connections as we were in a drought and they wanted to check on my water use. I told them PRIVATE, KEEP OUT! Round and round a few times, but I won. The electric company checked on me one time when there was a major outage, 3 days, the foreman found I had a generator and asked if everything was ok, I said I'm fine, he said I'll save you for last on our list for restoration of power. I have a friend on the con-com and when I see him he always asks 'how's things at the compound?'.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Our local Natural gas company was the same way with their appointments. They dont give you a window. Just the day, and if you leave and miss the tech, your SOL.

I found that out on an apartment that was all gas appliances and heat. The appointment window was 8am to 5pm.

Apparently apartments were low priority due to the number of no shows. The tech finally arrived at 4:40 pm and by this point I was livid since I also had to return a uhaul trailer or pay late fees and extra charges. Not to mention it was 34° in my apartment and I had been there all day.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you want PROMPT service for a 'no heat'( furnace dead/ no gas) type call and start to get the run around, ask them for the supervisor's name so when your frail, bed riden mother dies due to the d**n frigid cold house, her lawyer KNOWS who to contact. Instead of 'bed riden mother'..... frozen water pipes and damages also works....

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you want PROMPT service for a 'no heat'( furnace dead/ no gas) type call and start to get the run around, ask them for the supervisor's name so when your frail, bed riden mother dies due to the d**n frigid cold house, her lawyer KNOWS who to contact. Instead of 'bed riden mother'..... frozen water pipes and damages also works....
"I think I smell gas..." Also works for a quick response. Do not think it works for electric though...or water... 😄

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Are you unjacked yet?

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Funny thing is that in the South where it is warm they have the most dense hot firewood. In the North including Canada and Alaska they have some of the least dense wood for heating. My advice is to install a wood stove and have some wood around. Sure gives a sense of security.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Skeets,

sorry i missed all this bud. glad you got it worked out.

hope they dont charge you for the gas they had in the tank that went empty. ..... just saying. look at your next bill real close!

s

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LOL,, yeah you can bet I watch them, what is crazy is when you break down your bill and see the actual usage, and then all the added charges thats the killer when all of the added charges are 2 or 3 times what your usage is, and theres not really much you can do about it

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
LOL,, yeah you can bet I watch them, what is crazy is when you break down your bill and see the actual usage, and then all the added charges thats the killer when all of the added charges are 2 or 3 times what your usage is, and theres not really much you can do about it

thats the way our electricity works... we get charged more for delivery than we do for the actual electricity. there is a hydro dam a short distance from where I live but cant get my electricity from them because we are outside their zone. there is no competition, we dont get to pick where we buy from... so the cost is just the cost and we can do zero about it. at lest for my propane there is competition so we can shop around. the company we are with has no hidden or extra fees. its x-amount/L and that's it.