Hydraulic Remote For Dummies

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I am interested in having a rear remote installed on my M4800 but don't know much about how they work. Would somebody give me a simple lesson about them so I'll not look like a total dummy at the dealership. Why do some have more than one connect and can 2 connects be installed if there is only one remote. I'm looking to buy a bigger cutter and some have 1 hose and others have 2. Dumb it down for me please.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Dual remotes have (as far as I know) separate valves. A typical use would be a disk harrow with folding wings. One remote controls the wings, the other raises and lowers the disk.

Two remotes run off one valve could be done but I can't picture a use right off the top of my head.

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
If I have one remote installed at the rear, would it only be capable of attaching an implement with one hose? I don't understand the terminology of the device, like which part is the valve. Or what is the outlet called that the hose plugs into? Would somebody explain the basic principle of operation or post a diagram.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
One remote usually consists of one pair of connectors on the rear of the tractor into which you plug the hoses from the cylinder to be operated. Virtually all cylinders are "double acting" which means they apply hydraulic power both to extend and to retract the cylinder.

The valve is a lever inside the cab that controls the flow of hydraulic oil to the cylinder via the remotes on the back of the tractor. The valve is usually a "center off" valve which means that when you release the lever it returns to the center position. From the center you push the valve lever forward to operate the cylinder in one direction (either extend or retract) and pull the lever to the rear to operate the cylinder in the opposite direction. The operation of the cylinder can be swapped (forward=extend to forward=retract for instance) by swapping the hoses.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

This is a typical example of a rear remote connection. In this case, it's a dual remote to operate two double-acting cylinders and will have two levers in the cab (or near the seat) one to operate each pair of remotes.

The hoses from the cylinder(s) plug into the connectors shown. They are known as "quick connectors" and typically have a ring you pull back to insert the hose fitting and then it snaps forward to lock the hose in place.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

In this image, the power pack on the left represents the hydraulic pump and reservoir on your tractor.

Pressurized oil from the pump goes to the valve. The valve selects whether pressure is applied to the extend or retract side of the cylinder. In either case, the opposite hose is used to return oil to the reservoir for the pump. IE, if you apply pressure to the extend side, oil from the retract side is returned to the reservoir via it's separate hose.

With the valve in the center "off" position, oil is just circulated through the valve and back to the reservoir without acting on the cylinder. This is the most common variation and is referred to as an "open center" valve.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If I have one remote installed at the rear, would it only be capable of attaching an implement with one hose?
Yes, It should work with a standard remote setup, A single cylinder hose setup, is a single acting cylinder, power moves the cylinder in or out and weight or gravity makes it move the opposite way in or out.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up. So, center off = open center? If so why can't I have dual controls like my FEL for the rear. I'm a tool junkie and have a hankering for rear hydro.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up. So, center off = open center? If so why can't I have dual controls like my FEL for the rear. I'm a tool junkie and have a hankering for rear hydro.
I'm assuming by "dual controls" you mean a single joystick that controls two functions. At it's simplest, all that really is is two valves controlled by one lever through multiple linkages. Fore-and-aft on the lever controls one valve, side-to-side controls the other.

If so, there's no reason you couldn't. It would be a little more expensive and need more room to mount, but it's certainly doable.

It can be more complex involving solenoids and pilot valves and other things beyond the scope of this discussion. You'd see something like that on an excavator for example.

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Yes, It should work with a standard remote setup, A single cylinder hose setup, is a single acting cylinder, power moves the cylinder in or out and weight or gravity makes it move the opposite way in or out.
Just bear in mind that on a single acting cylinder there has to be a way for the oil to escape when the cylinder rod is retracted. The most common application for that is on snowplow angle cylinders. When the plow is angled, the oil being pushed out of the retracting cylinder is re-routed to the extending cylinder.

If there's nowhere for the oil to go, the cylinder won't retract.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Just bear in mind that on a single acting cylinder there has to be a way for the oil to escape when the cylinder rod is retracted. The most common application for that is on snowplow angle cylinders. When the plow is angled, the oil being pushed out of the retracting cylinder is re-routed to the extending cylinder.

If there's nowhere for the oil to go, the cylinder won't retract.
Correct. While technically yes it will work, but depending on the type of valve as to how. For a std (most common) 3 position valve, (pressure, neutral, pressure) the only way to let the cylinder collapse without dead heading the hydraulic system is to turn the engine off. If you have a valve that has the float function, then putting the valve into float mode will allow the cylinder to collapse.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Dual remotes have (as far as I know) separate valves. A typical use would be a disk harrow with folding wings. One remote controls the wings, the other raises and lowers the disk.

Two remotes run off one valve could be done but I can't picture a use right off the top of my head.
Here is a picture of a single valve that operates 4 separate sets of rear remote outlets. To do this 3 electric diverters are used. This can be done with a single diverter to get a person 2 sets and as many diverters as required to get as many separate sets of outlets required. The most that I have ever come across is a total of 6 sets of outlets. This was on a Kubota M7040.

Attachments

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
So if I order a "rear remote" will it most likely come with only one outlet? One implement that I might like to use is a no-till planter. The one that COOP rents has 2 hoses. Would I need to specify "rear remote with 2 outlets" or can it be modified later?

Kudos to PHPaul for the pics and explanation.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
So if I order a "rear remote" will it most likely come with only one outlet? One implement that I might like to use is a no-till planter. The one that COOP rents has 2 hoses. Would I need to specify "rear remote with 2 outlets" or can it be modified later?

Kudos to PHPaul for the pics and explanation.
It will come as a single valve that has 2 remote outlets. Everything today is set up for a double acting cylinder. Get the valve that has the float function with it. That will make things easier to operate for your single acting hydraulics that you have.

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
It will come as a single valve that has 2 remote outlets. Everything today is set up for a double acting cylinder. Get the valve that has the float function with it. That will make things easier to operate for your single acting hydraulics that you have.
Feeling much better about talking to the dealership. I approached them 3 - 4 months ago and was told that Kubota is discontinuing the manufacture of hydraulic remotes for my model tractor (M4800). I confirmed it is true by contacted more than one dealership. The local dealership put in an order and said it should arrive in April or May. Didn't have to put money down and haven't heard from them so thought I'd give them a call. Didn't want to drop $1000 without having a better understanding. The info is greatly appreciated.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

Just for a bit of clarification, here is the single remote I had put on my B2650. One "set" of remotes, or two hoses, in this case hooked up to the hydraulic top link for my box blade.

The single lever in the cab that controls the up/down (or in this case, the in/out) of the cylinder hooked to the remotes.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I didn't subscribe to this thread and just came back to it. The valve and downstream I get but where do I plumb in the supply side? I know it was an option so am I better off just buying factory parts? It will be easier and cheaper to do it here rather than haul it in.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
According to the local Dealer I can buy a factory kit that will plumb right in or a "power after" from a third party manufacturer. The problem is I don't see ports for the factory option and I'd rather just do it here. Any help will be appreciated. Will it self bleed or do I have to crack the high side? I need to change the fluid anyway and already have those items. It's an L4740.

sdroskie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M4D-071
Aug 7, 2022
Watervliet Mi
I am interested in having a rear remote installed on my M4800 but don't know much about how they work. Would somebody give me a simple lesson about them so I'll not look like a total dummy at the dealership. Why do some have more than one connect and can 2 connects be installed if there is only one remote. I'm looking to buy a bigger cutter and some have 1 hose and others have 2. Dumb it down for me please.
Old thread, but I thought this might help.
Messick's rear remote explained. Really good.