Hydraulic Remote Covers

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sometimes I like to tell others about my stupidity as it might be entertaining to those to whom it’s a no brainer basic error or might be useful to those as ignorant as me. This is one of those.

Had the first weeping leak on a hydraulic quick connect at the front of the third function line for the grapple, the most often connected/disconnected line. Figure it probably needs an o-ring but I’ll try cleaning it first. Source the correct o-ring for a 1/2” Pioneer fitting and non-steel pick set to remove it. Then pull it apart to clean it and sure enough there’s some oily debris.

Wonder why there would be debris. I religiously put the caps and plugs on the lines when not in use. Then look at the caps and it starts making sense. What I was NOT doing was snapping the male cover plug into the female cover cap when the line was hooked up. So the caps/plugs were swinging in the wind picking up dust, grass seed, and saw dust. Stupid me was “keeping the fitting clean” with a filthy plug/cap. 🙄

So half an hour later, I had the many, many caps and plugs cleaned, the female caps not in use snapped onto the male plugs not in use, the weeping fitting cleaned, and shockingly no more weeping fitting.

I’ll still pick up some o-rings and non-steel picks for use later as it’s just a matter of time before they’re needed. Will also stop “protecting” unused quick connects with dirty caps and plugs.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Try finding caps to fit the 1/4" flat faced couplers. After spending more time than I wanted to, I found them on Summit Hydraulics website. Cheap at twice the price... $6.45 when you buy 5 pair or more, and free shipping. Problem is they only show them in pairs, and I need all female covers.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Try finding caps to fit the 1/4" flat faced couplers. After spending more time than I wanted to, I found them on Summit Hydraulics website. Cheap at twice the price... $6.45 when you buy 5 pair or more, and free shipping. Problem is they only show them in pairs, and I need all female covers.
No, thanks. I was a bit surprised how much effort it took to determine the correct o-ring for a 1/2” Pioneer.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Wonder why there would be debris. I religiously put the caps and plugs on the lines when not in use. Then look at the caps and it starts making sense. What I was NOT doing was snapping the male cover plug into the female cover cap when the line was hooked up. So the caps/plugs were swinging in the wind picking up dust, grass seed, and saw dust. Stupid me was “keeping the fitting clean” with a filthy plug/cap. 🙄
I religiously put the caps on. They just as religiously fall off. They've somehow stretched - and the tractor is only 6 months old. I need to devise some sort of bar and rubber tie to hold them on. They also seem to come apart when I put the male and female together - probably for the same reason. That'll need a different solution to hold them together - rubber bands probably.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
For those into 3D printing, some caps and plugs are ‘out there’ to make yourself. Some local libraries have 3D printers now…. Likely people on your local but and sell groups offering printing services too….

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
For those into 3D printing, some caps and plugs are ‘out there’ to make yourself. Some local libraries have 3D printers now…. Likely people on your local but and sell groups offering printing services too….
That sounds quite snazzy. I’ll probably be using old socks and rubber bands when mine wear out. That’s more my level of tech expertise. 🙂

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The Summit covers fit like a glove. I wanted to say "like a condom", but I didn't want to offend anyone. The new Eargo advertising bring the word out of the closet...