Hydraulic lift cylinder scored needs replacement/repair

hohriver

Equipment
L285
Sep 15, 2022
Washington
Bringing an old neglected l285 back to life-
there weren’t any hydraulic filters in the machine and the three point was jerky and didn’t descend on its own- well, the cylinder and piston are pretty scored- looking around for a new sleeve but all I could find from messicks was a new unit at $$$. Figured I am far from the only one with a lift cylinder needs rebuilding. Hope someone who has ran into this will chime in-
Thanks in advance for your time.
Tom.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
MAn! That looks like a two-stroke cylinder that got straight-gassed!

Most decent sized cities will have a business that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders. Let your fingers do the walking. Forklift repair? Heavy equipment repair? Farm equipment dealer?

Thatoneguy

Equipment
Kubota b7200
May 20, 2022
Southern California
I just rebuilt all the cylinders on my b1630 loader. 90 bucks for 3 sets of seals from a local hydraulic shop. The two bucket cylinders were a little rough like that, i lightly sanded them and slapped it back together. They hold pressure just fine and dont leak.

My rear tilt cylinder is about 3" and had some pitting on the rod (looked like welding splatter from the previous owner). even the hydraulic guy said to hit it with sand paper and put it back together. Im waiting on a screen filter for the hst but wven if it leaks which i dont think it will, im only out 30 bucks. I did get a hone from harbor frieght to clean up the cylinder. It seemed to work pretty good, everything is smooth and snug.

hohriver

Equipment
L285
Sep 15, 2022
Washington
gotta say anyone who may need a quality used part, can trust kubotaguy.

got the cleaned up liner and piston in with back up rings and orings.
unfortunately the lift arms only go up still . the operating lever brings the lift arms up but wont hold itself in possition- lift arms can be pushed down after shutting down engine.
again the opperating lever is slack and wont hold itself up.
Any ideas or similar instance happen to anyone else?
thanks in advance for your time

Thatoneguy

Equipment
Kubota b7200
May 20, 2022
Southern California
Does the lift cylinders fall while its running? The boom arms going down slowly when the engine is off i would consider normal depending on how severe the fall rate is. My older loader drops as well but takes several hours to drop to the ground from about mid lift..