Hydraulic leak, right side ZD28

Debaglio

Equipment
zd28
May 12, 2022
Maryland
I purchased a used ZD28 last winter and just started using it this spring. I had the dealer go over and they said everything was good to go. Well, when moving the other day I noticed the levers were moving but I was not getting the response desired. I stopped on the driveway and noticed hydraulic oil leaking on the right side transaxle. I put it away to let it cool off. I glanced at it briefly today, but I need to remove the mower deck to be able to see better. Hopefully this weekend if time is available.

A brief history, it had 780 hours (so the meter says and it is working) and I am mowing about 5 acres at a time. Some of the terrain is steep and I generally mow the majority of it up and down, versus side hilling. It had worked good the first few times, but now this.

My question is, where and what should I be looking for? I am reasonable mechanically inclined, but thought a few suggestions from those with more knowledge might shorten my work.

Thanks in advance!!!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Look at all the pipes that scale the front, top, and sides of the transmission. Some have been known to break/crack.

There are also a couple of pipes that run over to the lift lever-check over there too.

check the lift cylinder and hoses for leaks.

Finally, since you are on a hill, I'd highly suggest using only super udt 2, and changing it quite often--much more often than specified (maybe every 100 hours). ZD25 and 28 transmissions are known to have issues that are more pronounced on hilly operation and/or hot climates. Dealers used to sell a kit to help address it, bandaid but it did help.

Debaglio

Equipment
zd28
May 12, 2022
Maryland
I purchased a used ZD28 last winter and just started using it this spring. I had the dealer go over and they said everything was good to go. Well, when moving the other day I noticed the levers were moving but I was not getting the response desired. I stopped on the driveway and noticed hydraulic oil leaking on the right side transaxle. I put it away to let it cool off. I glanced at it briefly today, but I need to remove the mower deck to be able to see better. Hopefully this weekend if time is available.

A brief history, it had 780 hours (so the meter says and it is working) and I am mowing about 5 acres at a time. Some of the terrain is steep and I generally mow the majority of it up and down, versus side hilling. It had worked good the first few times, but now this.

My question is, where and what should I be looking for? I am reasonable mechanically inclined, but thought a few suggestions from those with more knowledge might shorten my work.

Thanks in advance!!!
Look at all the pipes that scale the front, top, and sides of the transmission. Some have been known to break/crack.

There are also a couple of pipes that run over to the lift lever-check over there too.

check the lift cylinder and hoses for leaks.

Finally, since you are on a hill, I'd highly suggest using only super udt 2, and changing it quite often--much more often than specified (maybe every 100 hours). ZD25 and 28 transmissions are known to have issues that are more pronounced on hilly operation and/or hot climates. Dealers used to sell a kit to help address it, bandaid but it did help.
Thanks, appreciate the guidance!!