Hydraulic Fill Port

tph1956

May 23, 2018
Cherry Log, GA
Have an 84 year old neighbor who has an L4200 with both hydraulic top link and lift arm. The hydraulic fill cap has been replaced with a metal fitting that now has a hydraulic hose attached. This makes for a very difficult process to replace or add hydraulic fluid. Does anyone know thread size of the fill hole? I’m looking to replace the small pipe that’s in there with a taller one with a ‘T’ to hook the hose back up to. This way he could at least pour fluid in with having so much trouble. I appreciate any and all responses. Thanks.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Have an 84 year old neighbor who has an L4200 with both hydraulic top link and lift arm. The hydraulic fill cap has been replaced with a metal fitting that now has a hydraulic hose attached. This makes for a very difficult process to replace or add hydraulic fluid. Does anyone know thread size of the fill hole? I’m looking to replace the small pipe that’s in there with a taller one with a ‘T’ to hook the hose back up to. This way he could at least pour fluid in with having so much trouble. I appreciate any and all responses. Thanks.
It would be a big help if you provided a couple of photos of the rear of the tractor.

Most installations of top and tilt rely on factory rear remotes and it is not necessary to have place to dump fluid back into the transmission as appears to have been done.

Who installed the top and tilt? Dealer or other?

I am inclined to think this was not done by someone used to such work.

Dave

tph1956

May 23, 2018
Cherry Log, GA
It would be a big help if you provided a couple of photos of the rear of the tractor.

Most installations of top and tilt rely on factory rear remotes and it is not necessary to have place to dump fluid back into the transmission as appears to have been done.

Who installed the top and tilt? Dealer or other?

I am inclined to think this was not done by someone used to such work.

Dave
Not sure who put it in. I’ll send photo’s tomorrow. Thank you!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There may be a second fill port on the tractor. One is usually between your leg when sitting in the seat and second one at rear if it exists.

Chesapeake

Equipment
B6100
Apr 1, 2021
Washington
My B6100 manual describes that setup for connecting a hydraulic implement.

For the B6100 the fill plug thread is PF1/2 thread.
But the fill plug for the L4200, 38430-21410 looks to be a bit bigger thread.
Haven’t seen anywhere that lists the thread pitch for that plug. Assuming you talking about the plug in the center behind the seat.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Should have a second fill plug in front of the seat.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Some attachments have a requirement to be able to dump fluid directly back to the reservoir. Many PHD’s with down-pressure-cylinders do that and the fill-port is a quick-and-easy place to send fluid back to reservoir. Many tractors have other places that can be accomplished also, but to find that place requires familiarity with the particular model tractor.

tph1956

May 23, 2018
Cherry Log, GA
Some attachments have a requirement to be able to dump fluid directly back to the reservoir. Many PHD’s with down-pressure-cylinders do that and the fill-port is a quick-and-easy place to send fluid back to reservoir. Many tractors have other places that can be accomplished also, but to find that place requires familiarity with the particular model tractor.
The plug on my L4701 looks like it may be bigger than the one on his tractor. I’ll be posting pictures of his setup around lunchtime.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

They show many drain points. ..... but only ONE fill point !!!

1618324846482.png

tph1956

May 23, 2018
Cherry Log, GA

Attachments

Chesapeake

Equipment
B6100
Apr 1, 2021
Washington
Wow, someone’s used all the good out of those hoses. Our local Napa can make hoses on the spot. Just take the old for them to copy.

That fill plug port adapter swivels so should be easy enough to remove for servicing. That line won’t be under residual pressure.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Here are some pictures:
Thanks for the photos. They explain a lot.

The rear top and tilt hydraulic setup looks like a "do it yourself" job using a two spool valve like for a loader.

I do not suggest you get involved in redoing this setup.

You came to the forum looking for an answer to a simple question and unfortunately I do not think anyone knows for certain and further, depending upon the transmission the L4200 has, it may change things such as are there two fill ports or not.

The one aspect of this tractor that shouts out for attention is the condition of the hydraulic hoses.

A tiny pin hole in a hose under pressure can inject oil right though someone's skin.

With the valve and hoses located adjacent to the seat an operator is at serious risk. Every Kubota's Owners' manual contains cautions dealing with suspect hydraulic leaks and the key point is not to pass your hand over a suspected leak because of the risk of oil injection through the skin

Since you advised this tractor has a loader, the Tank line connected to the rear fill port could be redirected to tee into the loader valve Tank line. This may complicate things beyond where you want to be responsible.

I commend you for try to make life easier for your neighbor. He is lucky to have you living nearby.

Dave

tph1956

May 23, 2018
Cherry Log, GA
Thanks for the photos. They explain a lot.

The rear top and tilt hydraulic setup looks like a "do it yourself" job using a two spool valve like for a loader.

I do not suggest you get involved in redoing this setup.

You came to the forum looking for an answer to a simple question and unfortunately I do not think anyone knows for certain and further, depending upon the transmission the L4200 has, it may change things such as are there two fill ports or not.

The one aspect of this tractor that shouts out for attention is the condition of the hydraulic hoses.

A tiny pin hole in a hose under pressure can inject oil right though someone's skin.

With the valve and hoses located adjacent to the seat an operator is at serious risk. Every Kubota's Owners' manual contains cautions dealing with suspect hydraulic leaks and the key point is not to pass your hand over a suspected leak because of the risk of oil injection through the skin

Since you advised this tractor has a loader, the Tank line connected to the rear fill port could be redirected to tee into the loader valve Tank line. This may complicate things beyond where you want to be responsible.

I commend you for try to make life easier for your neighbor. He is lucky to have you living nearby.

Dave
First, I want to thank you so much for the time and effort you’ve put in to helping me. I’m telling everyone you’re my new best Kubota friend. I’ve always been one to listen to good advice, especially if I’ve asked for it! I’ll talk to him tomorrow and let him know that new hoses are a necessity, and we need to figure out how to reroute the hoses like you suggested. We can do that before getting the new hoses and just have that one made a little longer. Thanks again for your help and advice. Both are greatly appreciated.

Tommy

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Tommy

A good friend on the forum helped me out with a manual for the LA681 loader.

I learned there are two loader valve setups with this model loader. One where the valve comes off with the loader and another, called REMOTE,where the valve stays on the tractor when the loader is removed.

The above is not particularly relevant when connecting the top and tilt valve to the loader Tank port unless you find there are more things unusual about this tractor's hydraulics than the top and tilt setup.

forum LA681 FEL valve.jpg

There is a hydraulic block on the side of the tractor just in front of the oil filter. This block
has a port for the TANK line from a loader valve and this is where I am suggesting you put a Tee so this port serves both the loader valve and the Top and Tilt valve.

forum LA681 block 2.jpg

If when you look at the tractor things do not appear as shown in this post, do not take any chances and come back to get matter clarified. Hydraulics are not a Lets TRY and see wheat happens game.

Dave