HST Owners : On the gas , but having to hit the brake..?

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Was up at camp doing some long needed driveway ditch work.
Had the left wheels off the gravel into the swale / ditch along the driveway, bucket in float, trying to scrape the mud off the the side of the drive.
As i was going up the driveway, it was getting softer and I had to turn out of the swale / ditch onto the harder gravel,
Wheels turned to the right, to try to climb out, the L3710 kept going straight.

I had to reach down and hit the right brake pedal to help the tractor twist out of there.

Any HST guys have any tips on footwork to keep forward motion but still tap the brakes to make a tight turn..?

Attachments

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Do this at your own peril. A lot of the older hydrostatic drive tractors had a clutch pedal and a motion lock. I just set the lock to what ever speed and use the cut brakes how I want. If I need to stop thats what the clutch pedal is for, or in my case tap both brakes to release the hydro. Gotta remember the first hydro drives had a lever for speed control so it wasn't an issue to use the cut brakes and clutch pedal. Mostly thinking of the old international tractors. A 656 comes to mind immediately. Thinking about it we basically treated it like a gear tractor when in the field. Any way. More then one way to skin a cat.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My brakes are on the other side of my HST pedal. If I remember correctly, I believe Kubota's new models are starting to come out with this in the L series tractors as they phase out the clutch.

Trying to play Twister on the tractor doesn't look like much fun.

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I just bend over and use my hand on the split brakes.

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
My brakes are on the other side of my HST pedal. If I remember correctly, I believe Kubota's new models are starting to come out with this in the L series tractors as they phase out the clutch.

Trying to play Twister on the tractor doesn't look like much fun.
Yes I think the newer B and L models lack a clutch and the brakes are on the left side of the dash.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Yep, brakes are on the left side, and mine are linked. I've never had to brake steer so I've never removed the link, it acts like a single brake pedal as is. Pretty handy for most things, and I'm glad it has the ability to split the pedals if needed.

Reactions: 1 users

Drifthopper

Equipment
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Yep, brakes are on the left side, and mine are linked. I've never had to brake steer so I've never removed the link, it acts like a single brake pedal as is. Pretty handy for most things, and I'm glad it has the ability to split the pedals if needed.
Check out the video posted above.
The new models are coming clutch-less with the brakes on the left.

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
Recently learned how to use the split brake when back-dragging gravel on the driveway. When I was applying downward pressure with the bucket it was enough to lift my front wheels to the point where I lost steering. The rear end would inevitably start to drift downslope, away from the crown. Didn't take long before I got the hang of it, and yes the footwork it is awkward. It's a little easier if you move the seat forward, otherwise you end up in a plank-like position grabbing the steering wheel like a life preserver and hoping no one's watching.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Mikester...... please elaborate as to why ....
I'm not Mikester and not trying to answer for him...but, I'll throw this at ya...

Many years ago I worked on a farm that had recently had a serious injury due to a split brake incident. Tractor operator had his son riding on the rear fender while in high gear running down a road. He had to make a sudden stop, and when he went for the brakes he had neglected to lock them together when he came out of the field. Well, when he slammed the brakes, he only got one side and the tractor flipped. His son who had been riding on the fender lost his arm (tractor landed on it). Fortunately, he wasn't killed.

I doubt that you were going anywhere near that same speed in your situation, but jamming on one brake can still flip a tractor easily in the right scenario.

off soap box...

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I'm not Mikester and not trying to answer for him...but, I'll throw this at ya...

Many years ago I worked on a farm that had recently had a serious injury due to a split brake incident. Tractor operator had his son riding on the rear fender while in high gear running down a road. He had to make a sudden stop, and when he went for the brakes he had neglected to lock them together when he came out of the field. Well, when he slammed the brakes, he only got one side and the tractor flipped. His son who had been riding on the fender lost his arm (tractor landed on it). Fortunately, he wasn't killed.

I doubt that you were going anywhere near that same speed in your situation, but jamming on one brake can still flip a tractor easily in the right scenario.

off soap box...
Nothing like that but it happens from time to time. Can say on at least 3 occasions I've forgotten to lock the brakes together and had to stop in a hurry fortunately nothing hurt but ny pride. Twice was in the 310sj backhoe amd the third was in a t4.75. I try to be mindful of it and remember to lock them together before I get on the road.

Drifthopper

Equipment
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York

off soap box...
DD.... Thanks for the reply.
As for Mike..... I've been on forums for many years, and it just p'ss me off where members like mikester reply to topics with one line sentences and not explain nothin'

Like...... " Mr. I know everything" replies with a meaningly-less post, but won't explain what the f ........heck .... he's talking about.... and try to educate those less informed. Just another key-board jockey.

And.... Mikester.... when i got my tractor last month..... that's the 1st thing i unbolted..... was that POS ROPS..... My tractor pops wheelie's.....!!

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Slightly off-topic,but our B3030 cab has the brakes on the right and no clutch pedal.
Sure is easy on/off.
Don't really miss the turning brakes.
Good Luck to all!