HST general question, BX1800

Birdadly

Sep 28, 2019
Wisconsin
Hi gang, Im looking for some knowledge regarding transmissions. Im not an engine, motor, car, tractor guy so I dont know anything. Owned a push mower for 10 years, moved to an acre lot so bought a rider for the past 4 years and am now considering the BX1880.

My question and more info... my rider was/is a JD x300, 4.5 years old with 170 hours on it. It mows my yard just fine but now cant pull attachments. Im told the transmission is going, and its HST. I dont know if that means its the same as the BX, but Im wondering if you think the way i used my x300, would also hurt the BX1880.

So my lot is an acre, basically all flat. Its a city lot just on the outskirts of town. Probably a little over half is grass. My pulled attachments include a dethatcher, aerator, sweeper, roller (used once), small cart and at times the attached bagger. Never up a hill, never filled the cart with much weight. Never used in winter, kept in my attached garage.

JD nor the Reister & Schnell dealer care to help me out nor stand behind their product because they have no proof of how I used it and its 6 months out of warranty. I get it. I also know how Ive treated it. I babied it basically, IMO.

So i guess my question is, based off the info above, am I going to ruin the BX1880 if I use it in the same way? I have to assume the answer is no, but I also dont think the x300 should have gone bad either.

Is going from forward to reverse often while mowing bad for an HST? I guess I do that sometimes, basically a lot of Y turns going back and forth for rows. Perhaps i need to find new routes so I can stay in forward more, if thats the case.

Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions and the like. I meant to keep this shorter, my apologies and thanks for taking the time to read this.
-Brad

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The BX is basically a small tractor - probably overkill for what you want but it will certainly do everything you want and more besides. As far as the John Deere goes, are you SURE the transmission is going? Sometimes riding mowers lose the fluid from their differential or transaxle or whatever it is. If you can replenish the fluid you may give it a new lease on life. Rather than go through the John Deere dealer check with some independent mower repair shops in your area.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Is going from forward to reverse often while mowing bad for an HST? I guess I do that sometimes, basically a lot of Y turns going back and forth for rows. Perhaps i need to find new routes so I can stay in forward more, if thats the case.
Should not be a problem. HST transmissions are ideal for shuttling back and forth and are the preferred choice for front-end-loader work.

It sounds like you have the infamous K46 transmission. The first thing I would do is try changing the fluid and filter plus the drive belt. It *might* fix the problem. If it doesn't there is loads of repair information on the internet. Cheaper than a BX.

Mind you, the BX is a little more bulletproof, so I can certainly see why you might want to upgrade before your JD is completely dead.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ah... another JD with HST problems...
Good news is it CAN be repaired as it still drives on level ground IF you're mechanically handy ,it'll cost less than $50.
Bad news. The repair is simple, you need to remove the HST unit from the rider,place on bench upside down and drain ALL of the HST oil, Then remove all the case screws, remove 1/2 shell and tilt to drain even more HST fluid. Slowly rotate inputshaft to expell more oil..Use CLEAN rags to soak up more oil.Spray brake cleaner and wipe. Think you're done? No, leave for 1-2 days( overnight is not enough). The 'trick' is to get as much oil out as possible.Also, be sure to clean the magnets ! When you're happy, seal the case,screw it together and when right side up and level add SYNTHETIC 20W50 to the fill mark, rotate input shaft a few times by hand , check level, top up(maybe a cup ?).
You can goto Tufftork's website and download the 'how to details' as well as 'purging routine' ( has to be done and easy).
Now , WHY they fail... JD is cheap and agin TT's sayings, spec 30W oil for the HST ! There's also no FILL plug ! Well, HSTs gets warm (hot..there is a fan !) and some of the oil 'wiffs' away. Next time the HST overheats sooner, and even MORE oil 'wiffs' away. This happens EVERYTIME you use it and it gets worse EVERYTIME. Eventually, no oil...no HST. IF you get it soon enough(before scorching) ,the above service works.

Jay

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
The bx transmission is very tough. The bx18xx, bx23xx, bx26xx, and the tlb bx23 all have the same transmission. It’s designed to be used with the loader, pull ground engaging stuff like a box blade, aerator, anything, It’s a completely different category of machine than a GT.

I have a 1860, I pull an aerator on some steep hills, no problem. Back and forth direction changes no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Birdadly

Sep 28, 2019
Wisconsin
@Roadworthy, the dealer looked at it and told me it needed a new transmission, $900. I said no, for now since it was still cutting. And now that they, nor JD, want to help, I no longer am interested in green stuff. Yes the 1880 will be overkill for cutting, but i hope to use it for more. I want to get a load or two of dirt and level parts of my lawn, and then use it for snow removal as well since it’ll be beefier than a rider.

@torch, yep, Ive read on green forums about others having issues with it. I even read it before buying it, but thought, that’s not going to happen to me! If I pushed it to its limits, then sure its my fault, but I truly didnt IMO.

@GreensvilleJay, wow thanks so much for that write up! I’m sad to say i wont be able to take advantage of your time writing it out though; I apologize for that. If I have directions in front of me, I can do a lot even without being mechanically inclined, but that sounds way too involved for my capabilities. Hopefully someone else down the road will be able to take advantage of it, so thank you. It sounds like I should get rid of it before it stops moving completely tho, if anyone will even want it.

@beex, thx for your input as well. Since I’m on the outskirts of town, a number of my neighbors already have machines like these, blue and green ones, and I’m jealous of them! I believe mine would be the first orange one on our stretch tho which will be cool. One winter one even had to come over and get my girlfriend unstuck from our driveway! No more of that happening if I get a BX :)

Thanks again, fellas! -Brad

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Don't be planning to pull people out of ditches with the bx. It's strong enough, just doesn't weigh enough, looses traction.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
You will be amazed what you can do with a real tractor (even if it is a SCUT). It will last you decades. I might consider the BX23 if there isnt a huge price difference. Also if you think you might ever use the FEL, I would get it now.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
the BX will fit your needs well. Definitely get the front end loader. And get the loader with the skid steer quick attach (SSQA) option. If you are financing - get any of the options you think you will want in the future now on the financing...

Birdadly

Sep 28, 2019
Wisconsin
Thanks very much for the new replies everyone! I love your opinions and facts, etc. You guys know so much more than I do and so I value everything you have to say!

@izp2222, no no I won’t be pulling anyone out of ditches. My driveway goes slightly uphill to the road. I left to work earlier than my GF and didn’t snowblow beforehand. My Subaru made it up and out but she must not have followed my tracks and got stuck :)

@Jchonline, the 23 is nearly double the price, per the Kubota Build page anyway. It seems to come with the backhoe w/out option. I’d love using it, but I surely wouldn’t get my moneys worth out of it. Buying something that will last decades is definitely what I’m looking for!

@JeepinMax, yep, will get the loader and mower for starters.

This week, my dealer is assembling what I want. This Saturday I’ll be going for a test drive, and if I can’t stop smiling, I’ll sign the papers, with delivery next week. I’m looking at the BX1880 with turf tires, 48” deck and loader w/the SSQA. I’ll try using the bucket for snow removal my first year. If I don’t like it, then I figure I can get the blade that attaches to the QA. My drive isn’t huge, 3 stalls that merge to two, roughly 140’ long at the center.

I’m still figuring out if I want the 54” deck. I measured my yard’s tight areas, and I think there’d only be one tree/fence spot I wouldn’t fit between. But I think having the extra 6” for the rest of the yard would make it worth while. I do have a stretch that goes up to the road that I currently drive along a slope and I wonder if the larger deck is okay for that?

Thanks so much for your insight. And thanks again for reading my lengthy posts! Your words are making me much more comfortable putting this kind of money into this machine! -Brad

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I recommend the 54” deck because it sticks out further on the trimming side, so you can trim better with it, you get a tighter circle. The bx footprint works well with a 54”. The 18 has more than enough power for it, you’ll be surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
I’ve had the 1880 for 2 years now. I have 3 acres in a residential area similar to what you describe. The 1880 will be perfect for you! The thing is unbelievable. It is amazing how powerful it is being about the same size as a lawn tractor. Funny thing is you could just about pick up a lawn tractor with the loader on this tractor! I took the plunge and bought the front mount snowblower too. It’s pricey but works so well!
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Although I agree your garden tractor shouldn't have failed since you were using it exactly as intended, I have to say that most all of those small garden tractors, regardless of brand, are junk. These days, most of the engines are Chinese, the frames and platform are flimsy, the mower decks are thin with cheap spindles, and the transmissions barely adequate. John Deere makes some tremendous products and has a good reputation. Unfortunately, they have chosen to basically build or re-brand some incredibly cheap, junky products and sell them at high prices, fooling the customer into thinking they are getting something much better than your average Home Depot Cub Cadet...but you aren't.

The BX you are considering is basically the smallest, least capable, cheapest "tractor" in the Kubota line. And I cannot say enough good about it. It is like a $400,000 Rolls-Royce Phantom compared to a $15,000 Kia...your JD garden tractor.

The BX has a non-emissions diesel engine, simple and proven for many years. The HST transmission is made by Kubota, not somebody else...and can handle abuse and heavy work. The axles, chassis, platform...all very robust. For your use, you will never kill it and you could easily hand it down to your kids and possibly your grand kids. For reference, John-Deere makes a BX competitor, the 1025R tractor, which is similar in size and capability to the BX line from Kubota. And it is basically just as good. But I'd vote Kubota. I've had excellent luck with them myself.

Your JD garden tractor may have a Tuff-Torq hydrostatic transmission. I will say this...the Tuff-Torq K92 is a good transmission, so they don't make all bad products. However, yours doesn't have a K92. It might be worth trying to fix yours, because it would be vastly cheaper. But if you just want the versatility of a small tractor, the BX is a great way to go.

Birdadly

Sep 28, 2019
Wisconsin
Thank you fellas for the recent replies. Troverman, you scared me when you were describing the 1880 being the “smallest, least capable....” but then you turned it around on me! That is the consensus that Ive read too, the 1880 hasnt let many people down and I dont believe it will do so for me either.

I went with the 54” deck and loader. I already gouged my lawn (proof in the pic) and Im sure it wont be the last until i get used to it. First time tractor owner. Too bad the KTAC insurance doesnt cover the things I’m going to run into and gouge!!!

Obligatory pics will be added if I figure out how to do so...

Oh, if anyone is going to reply, i have a little question: does it matter how i leave the bucket when not in use, should it be in the air or resting on the floor or doesnt matter? Thanks -Brad

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Oh, if anyone is going to reply, i have a little question: does it matter how i leave the bucket when not in use, should it be in the air or resting on the floor or doesnt matter? Thanks -Brad

Just like your second pic: lip resting on the ground (so you can't catch a shin walking around it), curled slightly downward (so as not to collect stagnant pools of water).

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
birdadly, Congrats on your new tractor!! She's a beauty! From your pics it looks like you're in dairy country. I have family in the Cumberland area. Beautiful countryside there and where your at judging by your pics. It won't take long and the neighbors will be a little jealous of the new "Orange" in the area. And rightfully so :D
Cheers!
David

Birdadly

Sep 28, 2019
Wisconsin
bird dogger, I’m quite a ways east of your fam but yep, lots of fields around me. I’m not a farmer, but on the outskirts of town so there’s a fair amount of tractors nearby; I’m looking forward to joining them :)

Unfortunately i had to leave it in the garage today and take the riding mower out so i could bag leaves! Seemed silly. Filled 2 5x8’ trailer loads and only half done. I sometimes mulch but had the bagger on already. I’ve not heard great things about the Kubota bagger, price and ease of hook-up, but i may have to look into what mulch kits may be available. Or just try the deck as-is first I suppose.

Thanks again, very glad to be here chatting with you all! -Brad

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Hi gang, Im looking for some knowledge regarding transmissions. Im not an engine, motor, car, tractor guy so I dont know anything. Owned a push mower for 10 years, moved to an acre lot so bought a rider for the past 4 years and am now considering the BX1880.

My question and more info... my rider was/is a JD x300, 4.5 years old with 170 hours on it. It mows my yard just fine but now cant pull attachments. Im told the transmission is going, and its HST. I dont know if that means its the same as the BX, but Im wondering if you think the way i used my x300, would also hurt the BX1880.

So my lot is an acre, basically all flat. Its a city lot just on the outskirts of town. Probably a little over half is grass. My pulled attachments include a dethatcher, aerator, sweeper, roller (used once), small cart and at times the attached bagger. Never up a hill, never filled the cart with much weight. Never used in winter, kept in my attached garage.

JD nor the Reister & Schnell dealer care to help me out nor stand behind their product because they have no proof of how I used it and its 6 months out of warranty. I get it. I also know how Ive treated it. I babied it basically, IMO.

So i guess my question is, based off the info above, am I going to ruin the BX1880 if I use it in the same way? I have to assume the answer is no, but I also dont think the x300 should have gone bad either.

Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions and the like. I meant to keep this shorter, my apologies and thanks for taking the time to read this.
-Brad

Absolutely not.. the Kubota bx 1880 trans is the same as the Kubota bx2370 and let me tell you that transmission is no slouch.. I’ve worked the HE** out of my bx, I have over 630 hours on it and use it every day for land clearing, stump removal, ground leveling, landscaping, driveway repairs, plowing, iv got a graded box and back blade along with pallet forks and I use them all very very hard.. my bx has done anything I’ve thrown at it... will it take you longer than a larger tractor? Of course.. can you do the same work with a bx as you can with a larger tractor.. if you have the time then the answer is yes.

Check out my videos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgOZkdgg0Q&t=9s

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Thank you fellas for the recent replies. Troverman, you scared me when you were describing the 1880 being the “smallest, least capable....” but then you turned it around on me! That is the consensus that Ive read too, the 1880 hasnt let many people down and I dont believe it will do so for me either.

I went with the 54” deck and loader. I already gouged my lawn (proof in the pic) and Im sure it wont be the last until i get used to it. First time tractor owner. Too bad the KTAC insurance doesnt cover the things I’m going to run into and gouge!!!

Obligatory pics will be added if I figure out how to do so...

You should have the bucket on the ground always.. also always let your 3 point hitch down.. don’t ever leave load on the cylinders.. if you ever do leave the bucket up then make sure to lock the joystick so a kid can’t bump it and have it fall down on somebody.. lastly when you put your bucket on the ground slightly curl it downward so that the rain water doesn’t rest in the bucket.. not too much tho because if you tilt it too much then the water will rest in the upper pockets of the bucket so you just want to have a very slight angle downward with the bucket which will keep the water running off of it and not staying on it..

EDIT: just noticed your second picture.. note the way you have the bucket angled on the floor...that is the perfect amount of angle for outside storage.