HST+ gear setting when using BH77 backhoe

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I have been using my BH77 backhoe on my new Grand L3560 for over a week now. I haven't found a thread and don't see in the manual whether it makes a difference what gear the HST+ transmission is when I'm using the backhoe. I've had it in Neutral, Mid, Low and haven't noticed any difference in the backhoe operation.

I have the parking brake on, loader bucket down and the RPM's around 1800-2000 rpm when operating the backhoe.

Is there an HST+ gear setting that's best when using the backhoe?

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I'm usually in low on my B3200, but I don't think it matters.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
i thought it made a difference on my old BX23. That machines seemed to make a bit more whine when using the backhoe in gear so I generally kept it in neutral.

I typically use neutral on the new machine as well (likely out of habit). It's also much easier to re-position the machine using the hoe while in neutral (comes in real handy while trenching). If you use neutral, just be careful letting the machine back down on it's wheels while on a slope (BTDT).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The reason it doesn't matter is the HST is before the Range selector.
No matter what range it's in the HST is still spinning right along. ;)

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
I like to leave it in gear. It keeps you from rolling around, and if you have the cruise control, you can move forward from the backhoe seat using the cruise lever. It is an issue if you need to back up at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
If I'm digging or other use of the backhoe in one spot and don't need to move then I just leave it in whatever range I was in when moving the tractor into position. If I will need to move the tractor during backhoe operation I place it in neutral so I can use the BH to push or pull the tractor around. I always did this when using large Case dedicated backhoes too. I've never noticed any difference in backhoe operation no matter what range the trans is in.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Wolfman is right (as usual). It is worth looking at the workshop manual to see how the components work together. I did not realize the hydro unit was separate from the range selection and PTO gears. These bolt on to the hydro on my older unit. I guess that carried on? I love this forum for the experience and sound advice. :)

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
It DOESN'T matter what range it is in as to the operation of the BH but just remember, if you ever try to push or pull with the backhoe in order to reposition the tractor, it must be in neutral otherwise the wheels will resist rolling.