How Wide is Too Wide

ubelongoutside

Equipment
L2800
Feb 4, 2021
Ypsilanti, MI
Hi All,

Short time lurker, first time poster.

I have a new to me L2800 and I want to widen the back end. It has R4 tires on it so without new tires, and rims it sounds like the spacers are the way to go.

The Bora spacers look good, and they come in widths up to 6". Other than affecting the overall width of the tractor, is there a downside to going wider?

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Need to look at the manual (can be found online) to see how far the tires can go out. Going further then manufacture list is hard on the steering

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Need to look at the manual (can be found online) to see how far the tires can go out. Going further then manufacture list is hard on the steering
Widening the rear tires does not effect steering.

I would say look at the manual and see what the widest setting on AG tires was and go no where past center of the R4's on that measurement.
So if total width of the AG's were let's say (guess) 42" then go 42" from center to center on the R4's.

ubelongoutside

Equipment
L2800
Feb 4, 2021
Ypsilanti, MI
Widening the rear tires does not effect steering.

I would say look at the manual and see what the widest setting on AG tires was and go no where past center of the R4's on that measurement.
So if total width of the AG's were let's say (guess) 42" then go 42" from center to center on the R4's.
Thanks, it looks like the manual says my current setup with R4's is 45.1 and the max for ag's is 50.8. So I should be good for 2.5" - 3" spacers.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks, it looks like the manual says my current setup with R4's is 45.1 and the max for ag's is 50.8. So I should be good for 2.5" - 3" spacers.
If you are looking for stability, I would probably push the envelop a bit and go for 4 inch spacers. I decided on 4" for my B2910 if I would buy them, as stability is the reason for the purchase. I did not think to follow Wolfman's advice, since this is the first I heard it, and do not know if specs that he mentions is available for my tractor anyway.

The incremental cost for a wider spacer is not that great as compared to a slightly narrower one.

Just my take on it, after thinking about spacers over the last year or so.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Think about a Trike motor cycle. The differential only is turning one tire with least resistance yet it sure is hard to make a turn. The farther the tires are out the more the outer tire needs to over run and the inside tire needs to under run.

In 4 wheel tractor, the turning will be more noticed where the front has less distance to travel then the rear. In 4 wheel the front "should" turn faster (not much) then the rear and if they don't they get in a bind

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Think about a Trike motor cycle. The differential only is turning one tire with least resistance yet it sure is hard to make a turn. The farther the tires are out the more the outer tire needs to over run and the inside tire needs to under run.

In 4 wheel tractor, the turning will be more noticed where the front has less distance to travel then the rear. In 4 wheel the front "should" turn faster (not much) then the rear and if they don't they get in a bind
I disagree. In practice you cannot equate the turning effort of a trike against a 4 wheel tractor. This bears out both in theory and in practice. I have experience with both. I will therefore rely on my experience, not bad theory.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I agree in your thinking, but the ratio is way much further out than you think. you could go 12" wider and never notice a thing.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Don't agree
Widening of the rear tires affects steering? Why would that be? I agree with Wolfman. Don't think so.

Now if the diff lock was stuck in lock, that would certainly affect steering.

How about telling us why you believe wider rear tire spacing would affect steering. Always willing to learn something.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan

I also disagree, the differential NEVER pushes just one tire, it always pushes both equally, but allows one to spin faster when needed. If one tire loses traction, the exact same amount torque being applied to the spinning tire is also applied to the tire with the traction, but it doesn't spin because it has more traction. Applying the differential lock merely forces both tires to rotate the same speed, regardless of how torque is required to make it spin.