How to determine type of liquid ballast

Joe

Equipment
B7610, LA352
May 29, 2010
Hopewell NJ
Hello everyone,

First, thanks for those who replied to my post on manuals for my new used B7610 with FEL. I now have manuals in hand.

In reading the manual I found out that it is very important to have rear ballast to even out the weight when using the FEL for safety and traction. So I checked the rear tires and yes they are already filled with liquid. My question is how do I determine what they are filled with; water, Calcium, antifreeze, wiper fluid, RimGuard etc?

I do not want any surprises this winter. The liquid does not smell like antifreeze, its slightly greasy. I suppose I can take a small amount and put it in the freezer to see if it freezes.

Thanks

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Is it new or used? I'd say try to contact the previous owner and see what they are filled with if its a used tractor. Or if its new ask the dealer and see what they put in. There are so many different things someone could use to ballast the tires its hard to say whats in your tires.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Calcium is usually white/milky type substance. The bio ballast (beet juice) is kinda oily looking, but is sticky when it dries. Wiper fluid will have some kind of "aroma" to it, and of course plain water will not be sticky or oily. I'd first do what Eric mentioned, call the previous owner, as if can get a little pricey to refill with ballast material.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If its got an oily feel to it I might think it would be some kind of anti freeze perhaps Ethylene glycol if it is in older tires, I used Propylene glycol in my tires just because it was the cheapest way to go at the time. I have a friend that use the RV antifreeze but he got it for free so again use what ya got. The beet juice like has been said is heaver but much more costly, salt not so much. The original owner might be able to put some light it. Im not sure how big the tiers are but I used a 2 gallon sprayer took the hose off and put on a hunk of rubber tubeing and use a needle valve like you would use to fill a basket ball or foot ball. pulled out the tier valve and pumped it in,,it took a while but that was a good excuse to sit in man land and enjoy a couple adult beverages