How to deal with liars

Status
Not open for further replies.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Imagine inviting some friends over to your place for a nice dinner and gathering, and you're all out on the deck. Some loudmouth who came with someone else notices your brand new Super Duty truck sitting in the driveway and promptly begins to "educate" you on why you made the worst possible choice in pickup trucks. He's a Chevy guy and has heard all the talking points about why your truck is no good. "It's not safe, its made from old beer cans." "Ford diesels are total junk, they have been since the 6.0 liter." "The only reason Ford sells the most is because almost all their sales are to fleets, because they are the cheapest."

Now imagine this type of discussion on something more serious, like Covid. Only the annoying guy nobody knows is the media and government. You know the reasons they give are not always accurate, and almost always are skewed to an agenda. You know they aren't being honest. So how do you deal with this situation?

Some of my "friends" think entirely opposite to me. They tell me they are "afraid" of me because I won't take the vaccine and never wear a mask unless I am absolutely forced. They believe completely in what they hear, and they only view specific media which tends to reinforce their views. Yet I still care about these people, and wish them the best. I understand their hostility comes from fear, which is a powerful motivator to ignore logic and science.

What are your thoughts on dealing with friends and family who think this way, or even the general public that we interact with?

I'm firmly in the camp of a free people that gets to make their own decisions. I believe in that old saying of "he who trades liberty for security will have neither." I believe relinquishing freedoms now means they are almost impossible to get back in the future.

Reactions: 5 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ford trucks are clearly the best 🤪 they keep the bills paid and food on the table.

I know some GM and Dodge techs thats are fat and happy too 🤣

Reactions: 4 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Buy a Tata.

One theoretical great thing about being in the USA is freedom of thought and supposed freedom of expression.
You do not have to like how anyone else thinks nor do you have to listen to anyone else's opinions. Ask them to leave or mosey on yourself.

Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Ford trucks are clearly the best 🤪 they keep the bills paid and food on the table.

I know some GM and Dodge techs thats are fat and happy too 🤣
Lol, that was just a fun example. I consider myself to be a Ford guy; had more Super Duty trucks than any other brand. But I've recently switched to RAM / Cummins trucks and I think I like them a tad more. (Still have one Super Duty still, an old 6.0L even! It's making money for me, so I keep it around.) I also have an older GMC one ton which has been very good with a gas 6.0L.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Fair warning if this becomes a COVID rant it will be reported to the admins. @troverman I have no issue with your post or the topic, but as of late these COVID discussions quickly get political and people get nasty with each other. If this heads that way I am reporting it. I also think your thread title is questionable. You maybe saying politicians are liars, but are you calling family, friends, and anyone that has different beliefs than you about COVID a liar? Please clarify.

As someone in the medical field I have the opposite issue as you. I have a niece that is legally old enough to get the vaccine, but her mother (a mechanical engineer) thinks there are some long term fertility risks. Im not getting into my thoughts on it, but needless to say she thinks she is correct.

What I do is just change the subject when she brings up COVID related stuff. We both know neither will budge on the stance. So I just talk about something else and she gets the hint. I do this with neighbors and other folks as well. Just change the subject.

Also Ford diesels rock! (see this is changing the subject) ;)

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Remain calm, speak in facts only. Emotion is a distraction.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
It's a shame that discussion on the most prominent topics today get shut down. I like this forum because there are viewpoints on both sides. No reason not to keep it civil. Discussion might help people understand each other's viewpoints.

Reactions: 7 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
It's a shame that discussion on the most prominent topics today get shut down. I like this forum because there are viewpoints on both sides. No reason not to keep it civil. Discussion might help people understand each other's viewpoints.
I do agree completely. However when you title the post with "How to deal with liars" you are headed in the wrong direction.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Fair warning if this becomes a COVID rant it will be reported to the admins. @troverman I have no issue with your post or the topic, but as of late these COVID discussions quickly get political and people get nasty with each other. If this heads that way I am reporting it. I also think your thread title is questionable. You maybe saying politicians are liars, but are you calling family, friends, and anyone that has different beliefs than you about COVID a liar? Please clarify.

As someone in the medical field I have the opposite issue as you. I have a niece that is legally old enough to get the vaccine, but her mother (a mechanical engineer) thinks there are some long term fertility risks. Im not getting into my thoughts on it, but needless to say she thinks she is correct.

What I do is just change the subject when she brings up COVID related stuff. We both know neither will budge on the stance. So I just talk about something else and she gets the hint. I do this with neighbors and other folks as well. Just change the subject.

Why would you force me to get a brand new 6.7L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel when it's not been approved and has no track record at all? How do we know it's safe and won't throw a rod? Firing me from my job unless I get this truck is ludicrous. The old 6.9 has always done fine. Keep it clean and healthy, take the vitamin C and D regularly....errr I mean fresh oil regularly and everything should be fine!

Reactions: 2 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Why would you force me to get a brand new 6.7L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel when it's not been approved and has no track record at all?
Trust me, Im from the Ford dealer…Now don’t forget your keys 😁

But Im not responsible if that rod comes through the block.

Last edited:
  • Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

I guess you better get to turning yourself in!!!!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Fair warning if this becomes a COVID rant it will be reported to the admins.
Disclaimer: I only play translator on internet forums. ;)

Translation: “if you post anything I disagree with, I’ll censor you. I can’t handle a discussion. I like that big tech only allows one view.”

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Imagine inviting some friends over to your place for a nice dinner and gathering, and you're all out on the deck. Some loudmouth who came with someone else notices your brand new Super Duty truck sitting in the driveway and promptly begins to "educate" you on why you made the worst possible choice...
It is a shame that a guest to your home (that you apparently had not met before) would act like that...:confused:

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Fair warning if this becomes a COVID rant it will be reported to the admins. @troverman I have no issue with your post or the topic, but as of late these COVID discussions quickly get political and people get nasty with each other. If this heads that way I am reporting it.
How about this for an idea... If YOU don't want to read or talk about it avoid the thread and let others that do discuss things. That way everyone is happy and you don't have to be the "forum police".

Quite arrogant of you to make sure folks only talk about what YOU want to talk about. Especially when no one is forcing you to be a part of a thread you don't like.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
In fairness, jchonline seems to be reasonable so far. He's entitled to his view as much as I'm entitled to mine. Someone that expresses an opposite view shouldn't be totally trashed, especially on a nice forum about Kubota tractors. However, I have no problem with people strongly expressing emotion and opinion, especially when it relates to personal freedoms. And yes, if you become offended, you can always get off the thread. Censorship is never the answer.

Reactions: 2 users

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
For me, it's like the flu shot. I might still catch the flu after the flu shot, but I probably won't get as sick (at least this has been my personal experience when I've had/had not received the flu shot). My inlaws had their Covid shots and still got Covid. They are in their 70's, and my FIL is taking chemo for prostate cancer. They pulled through Covid without any serious issues. If they had not had their shot, I don't know if the outcome would have been the same.

Reactions: 1 users

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I wish them all the best.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Disclaimer: I only play translator on internet forums. ;)

Translation: “if you post anything I disagree with, I’ll censor you. I can’t handle a discussion. I like that big tech only allows one view.”
This is bull. I am censoring myself as well. I dont get to have my points then silence yours.

I was also called a "shill" on the Let them die thread, which is what I consider censorship. Following the guidelines setforth by the admins on this forum is not censorship by individuals. Take it up with the admins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.