How to avoid overfilling the tank with diesel - Suggestions needed

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I use a 5 gallon VP Racing jug, with a 3/4" flex hose on the end of it.

Under normal conditions when adding fuel, I have a general idea as to how much to add with out running it over (most of the time).

However when trying to top it off for winter storage that's when I tend to run it over and create a mess!!

Suggestions..............?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Get someone else to fill your tank? If I haven't learned from the first couple of times messing something up the finger usually points to me.

FYI I have a fuel storage tank with an electric pump and auto kick off. Standing on the front tire juggling gerry cans isn't fun. I wish K would make all fuel tanks accessible from ground level.

Reactions: 4 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Just listen for the refueling alarm if your tractor has one.

1644755535518.png

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, I grabbed the manual on it..
I can't use it on my BX23S with he can on the ground and doubt it'd reach if on the floor as the hose is only 3' long. Manual says 'nozzle' has to be held vertically ,so that'd take a fair amount of 'length''.
I can't lift 5G cans,so I use the 2G ones. Even then it can be interesting but I don't go through a lot,often.
Crazy thing is I have one of those 115 powered transfer pumps that'll sit into 45g drums,used once,collecting dust. Both neighbours have 200 + 500G drums on trestles,gravity feeds. Maybe an option ??

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you can make your own... grab a 'diesel' rated pump,couple hoses, some wires and a switch,connect to the 'power port'

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
During the summer I take anywhere from 12 to 18 gallons down a good grade to place in my boat.
A cargo carrier on the ol subaru works well !

Even with modded tank that allow air to vent easily it is still a bit of time and energy to hold 42+ pounds at waist high for the duration of the fill..... and then do it again and again.

One xmas my wife surprised me with the screw on type pump that terapump. I thanked her and then waited till summer to use it. I was really surprised that is worked that well! Now does it drain 6 gallons in 2.5 seconds? Hell no - but it is one of those that you hit the button walk away and listen! I never have filled that boat to the max( 60 gallons tank) but I can hear the fluid run out and the free spin of the pump from 30 feet away.

I have extra batteries waiting for summer.............. whenever the hell that is!;):D

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I'll add my endorsement of the Terra pumps. I have a couple now -- one for diesel and one for gasoline. Great for everything from chainsaws to boats, filling without spilling.

Also good for Ford trucks that otherwise require a $25 funnel/adapter.

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey

I use the 5 gallon version, this is the 2.7 gallon version. It pulls air from the Tip of the nozzle through a small hose so when the tank is full, it stops filling.

The nozzle is meant to rest on the fill neck. The weight of the fuel is enough to push it down to fill. I don’t have to hold mine, just keep it vertical. 5 gallons empties in about 60-90 seconds. I never really times it but once it starts filling, it goes.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Under normal conditions when adding fuel, I have a general idea as to how much to add with out running it over (most of the time).

However when trying to top it off for winter storage that's when I tend to run it over and create a mess!!

I do not try to refill with 5 gallon cans but rather pour from the cans into a smaller container with spout to transfer fuel.

I use a 2 Qt Plews can for the 1750 and 3350 and a 2 gallon plastic service station radiator refill container with spout for the 6060 and 9960. Though ubiquitous in the day of full-service gas stations, the radiator refill containers are now difficult to find. I ordered mine from NAPA several years ago.

Works great.

SDT

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
curious, I grabbed the manual on it..
I can't use it on my BX23S with he can on the ground and doubt it'd reach if on the floor as the hose is only 3' long. Manual says 'nozzle' has to be held vertically ,so that'd take a fair amount of 'length''.
I can't lift 5G cans,so I use the 2G ones. Even then it can be interesting but I don't go through a lot,often.
Crazy thing is I have one of those 115 powered transfer pumps that'll sit into 45g drums,used once,collecting dust. Both neighbours have 200 + 500G drums on trestles,gravity feeds. Maybe an option ??
I use the yellow 5 gal diesel plastic cans but only put 3 gal. in them.

Reactions: 1 users

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
I use the yellow 5 gal diesel plastic cans but only put 3 gal. in them.
Yep, neighbor moved last summer and gave me a couple plastic, 5-gal diesel containers. I filled them up, along with my 3 I already had, and, unloading them from the pickup, I had the smack-my-forehead moment realizing now I don't need to go buy smaller containers, don't have to struggle up on the tractor heaving 5 gallons at a time, hold each one up in the air to drain it into the tank...I just need to only put 3 gal or so in each container. Sometimes I wonder how my IQ is doing.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Consider using a step stool or something if the filler opening is too high for you to look in as you add the fuel.

If not too high, look in and see when the fuel is coming up to the top and stop filling at that point. This is what I do but both my tractors allow me to look in and see what is going on.

Is my assumption that you can not look in the tank as you fill it (for whatever reason) correct? I use 5 gallon yellow containers to fill my tractors and almost never over fill. I think one time I did when not paying attention, maybe even twice in 20 years.

I think a pump of some type would be a great idea, as the five gallon containers of fuel get heavy if there is nothing to support them. BUT you still need to see what is going on, or be really quick at shutting off when the fuel reaches he top of the filler.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I use to lift the 5 gallon plastic container and slowly fill the tank frequently creating a mess. I now just tip the jerry can over on the ground and fill a large plastic ice cream tub. I then carefully pour into the tank using a funnel in one hand and the diesel in the other hand. Might be a tad slower but works great with no spillage as I can easily monitor the fuel level in the tank.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
On 2 of my JDs with fuel fill on the hood, I'd first sit a 5 gallon container onto the brake pedals and then step up on the operator's platform and move it to the hood. Then I'd use a hand squeeze siphon to start the fuel from the container into the tank. I'd turn on fuel gauge until I saw it go to "F" and then watched level until it got to the top.