How steep is steep for BX23S up/down hill travel?

T.C.

Equipment
LX3310HSDC
Oct 7, 2021
Maine
I've been looking at getting a BX23S as a first time tractor owner. I have quite a bit of hill at behind the house, and I'm looking for a reality check on whether I should be thinking about driving on it. Very little of the discussions I've found about slopes give specific numbers, and most seem more focused on mowing and side-hill angles. I can't see a need to operate on the hill (no mowing, no side-angle), but I would like to be able to work at the bottom once in a while, so I'm really concerned about up/down travel in TLB configuration. You can assume loaded tires or wheel weights.

Assuming prudent operation (ROPS up, belt on, bucket as low as possible, 4WD, drive as straight down and back as straight up as possible, slow and steady operation, ground in decent condition/not wet/slippery, avoiding dips and bumps, etc), how steep is a worry? The manual says
"Stay off hills and slopes too steep for safe operation" but gives no guidance about what constitutes "too steep".

(NOTE: all numbers DEGREES not PERCENT)

So, I was thinking the hill was pretty steep... it sure feels much steeper when walking it! But I just went and measured it using my phone on a 8' 2x4, to approximate the wheel base of the tractor. It's about 15 degrees overall with the steepest 8' section on the main travel route being 17 degrees. One alternate route has a 19 degree maximum over 8'. The steepest 8' section I could find anywhere is 21 degrees, and is not a place I think I'd need to be.

On a scale of 1=No biggie to 10=suicidal, how would you rate this scenario? Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a side yard that is "hard" to walk up .... and down for that matter........

I use to cut it with a 8n with 5' rotary on the rear ........ ONE time it started to slip a bit and scared the shyte out of me! 2 wheel drive and poor brakes! Never went up it on that tractor! Had to drive around the entire lot to come back down and repeat.

I cut it now with a B7100 UP and DOWN ..... no problems at all! Now - I have about 75 pounds on the front, in 4wd and in low gear and I lean forward a bit - going down I have to cut the throttle back so not to over rev the engine. Tractor will stop within 2 feet if I let off the HST pedal too.

When I first got my BX25D - with MMM I went down it easily - never had the nerve to go back up it however!!!!! I know I would be fine, but that BackHoe on the rear made me wonder!!!

I would cut the grass going down and THEN "backed up" the hill .... which worked fine, though somewhat difficult on ME .... not the tractor!

I have measured in several places on the hillside - hillside is about 50 wide and 100 down, with a 4 foot level - I measure vertically about 18" at the worst spot, other spots I get 14"

so my worst is approx. 20.6 degrees of slope, the other is about 16.5 degrees.

Going down is easy - going up is where it feels "iffy" so I would say a 2 going down ........and I would load the FEL going up with a couple of blocks or firewood and make that a 5 ;)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I cut some pretty steep hills on my property straight up and down 4 wd and low range. I am guessing 45 degree slope. Make sure its dry and take your time. I have a B2601 and its a beast. Occasionally I have to use the rear axel lock . The tractor is like a billy goat. Be careful.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Straight up and down, I find it hard to imagine you could get the front wheels off the ground or tip it over. It's a bit like driving a 4WD up a steep hill - unless you're sideways they're not going to roll. They will run out of traction though.

So the question is what sort of tires you have, what sort of terrain it has, and whether you'll run out of traction. The problem with running out of traction is that there's nothing you can do. Downhill it's probably fine, just keep going / keep the wheels turning so you have steering (assuming you have a runout at the bottom). Uphill, it's a problem. If it starts slipping you're in trouble, because you can't keep going up, so you're going to have to try to stop, then back down (assuming you can't turn on the slope). If you're short of traction, that'll be hairy.

Having said that, the angles you're talking about sound like they're well within the capability of the BX, and most people head up the slope reasonably slowly and hold a steady speed. If it all goes bad you can usually stop, get off, and think about it.

I did get caught once with Dad's old Fergie with a load of firewood on the trailer. Stopped near the top of the hill to open the gate, but then didn't realise it wasn't quite in gear when I tried to start again. It started rolling backwards downhill. That's one of those life flashing before your eyes moments - choice of riding the tractor down, or jumping off and watching it all pile up in the fence at the bottom. Stood out of the seat pressing down on brakes and pulling down on the steering wheel to get more pressure. Managed to get it to stop (crappy brakes on old tractors). Could have been ugly. Things that feel safe when it's going well can suddenly start feeling unsafe very quickly if something goes wrong.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Have you ever driven a riding mower where you'd like the BX23S to go ? If so, then the BX23S WILL be OK. Just keep bucket low( maybe 3-4 concrete blocks in it) as well as the usual...4wd,low, slow, etc.
I go up/dn a 30-35* slope every week, when dry. it's dirt + stone mix.
Also , if it's too steep, then use the BX23S to carve out/build up an 'access road' ! GREAT reason to BUT the Kubota !!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Have used a 9N Ford and L4701 on what seems like slopes much more than flat ground for many years. Potential slope problems:

1) Rollover if sideways on the slope. You said you had no reason to be sideways on it so the only reason you’d be sideways is if you run out of traction and lose control. Put on the seatbelt and if you have ROPS down, put it back up. Chances you need them going straight up/down a 20 degree slope are pretty low but doesn’t hurt anything to do it.

2) Running out of traction and losing control. See PaulL discussion above. Maybe skip it when it’s covered in snow or muddy. Also, consider what you have at the bottom. If you slide down or back down but don’t have enough control to end up precisely where you like does that still put you in a safe landing spot at the bottom or potentially plunge you into an abyss? I’m more aggressive (with tractors, feet, trucks, etc.) on slopes with a nice landing spot at the bottom.

3) Flipping the tractor over backward going up the hill. This one is where there’s not enough weight on the front, there’s too much weight on the back, there’s enough traction with the rear wheels, and instead of the axle torque rotating the rear wheels, the rear wheels stop causing the front of the tractor to raise, and rotate all the way over upside down. The 9N has no loader and not much front weight. One of the 2N/8N/9N series’ claims to fame is killing their operators that way. Backing up the hill prevents that if there’s enough traction to back up it. With the loader on the Kubota I’ve never had it try to flip backward. If you ever have a tractor try to do that, just stop.

I do not have a backhoe on the Kubota. Worst slope I’ve had it run any distance on (not just pulling through a ditch) is about 50 degrees. That’s pulling up the back side of the dam. I don’t do that routinely but it was bone dry and as it turned out, not a problem. Still, I do NOT bush hog the steep parts of the dam. On one side, any slipping would result in an unwelcome bath. Other side some of it has pleasant landing areas at the bottom; part has a rip rap bottomed pit for the tail race. I ain’t riding a tractor into that pit.

If you’re still reading, I’m impressed with your tenacity. To me, 20 degrees sideways may be a bit much depending on all sorts of specifics about your rig, soil conditions, plant cover, etc. That would be an avoid if you can, and plan it out thoughtfully if you have to. Running straight up and down a 20 degree slope? Unless it’s so muddy you couldn’t walk it or covered in ice that shouldn’t be a problem. If it has any difficulty going up or down a 20 degree slope I’d be getting rid of it in favor of a more capable machine. In my case I couldn’t access about 85% of the property if the tractor wouldn’t routinely handle 30 degree slopes, and that’s skidding logs and pulling a trailer that at times is running about 3000lb.

If you apply even a modicum of discretion in assessing the slope’s coefficient of friction and shear factor of the soil (it isn’t covered in ice or unwalkably muddy) you should be fine.

Take it easy at first until you’re comfortable with knowing how your machine handles on it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you think you might go over back wards coming up turn around and BACK UP the hill

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I've been looking at getting a BX23S as a first time tractor owner. I have quite a bit of hill at behind the house, and I'm looking for a reality check on whether I should be thinking about driving on it. Very little of the discussions I've found about slopes give specific numbers, and most seem more focused on mowing and side-hill angles. I can't see a need to operate on the hill (no mowing, no side-angle), but I would like to be able to work at the bottom once in a while, so I'm really concerned about up/down travel in TLB configuration. You can assume loaded tires or wheel weights.

Assuming prudent operation (ROPS up, belt on, bucket as low as possible, 4WD, drive as straight down and back as straight up as possible, slow and steady operation, ground in decent condition/not wet/slippery, avoiding dips and bumps, etc), how steep is a worry? The manual says
"Stay off hills and slopes too steep for safe operation" but gives no guidance about what constitutes "too steep".

So, I was thinking the hill was pretty steep... it sure feels much steeper when walking it! But I just went and measured it using my phone on a 8' 2x4, to approximate the wheel base of the tractor. It's about 15 degrees overall with the steepest 8' section on the main travel route being 17 degrees. One alternate route has a 19 degree maximum over 8'. The steepest 8' section I could find anywhere is 21 degrees, and is not a place I think I'd need to be.

On a scale of 1=No biggie to 10=suicidal, how would you rate this scenario? Thanks!
It is a 1 for going straight up or down a 21 degree slope.

As others have said, back up if you feel uncomfortable.

ALWAYS be in 4WD on slopes.

Avoid crosswise travel, especially with the backhoe on.

Consider loading your tires, and wheel spacers, but with a MMM you can only go about 1.5" with spacers, but every bit helps. Spacers help most for cross travel on slopes.

Also, as mentioned above, never forget that wet grass can act like ice on a slope. Avoid wet grassy slopes. Or get a lesson that you will soon not forget. Do not ask me how I know!

T.C.

Equipment
LX3310HSDC
Oct 7, 2021
Maine
2) Running out of traction and losing control. See PaulL discussion above. Maybe skip it when it’s covered in snow or muddy. Also, consider what you have at the bottom. If you slide down or back down but don’t have enough control to end up precisely where you like does that still put you in a safe landing spot at the bottom or potentially plunge you into an abyss? I’m more aggressive (with tractors, feet, trucks, etc.) on slopes with a nice landing spot at the bottom.
Good point! It does level out for a decent bit before the tree line.

If you’re still reading, I’m impressed with your tenacity.

To me, 20 degrees sideways may be a bit much depending on all sorts of specifics about your rig, soil conditions, plant cover, etc. That would be an avoid if you can, and plan it out thoughtfully if you have to. Running straight up and down a 20 degree slope? Unless it’s so muddy you couldn’t walk it or covered in ice that shouldn’t be a problem.
Great, this is the kind of guidance I was looking for! It would likely only be in warm weather too.

If it has any difficulty going up or down a 20 degree slope I’d be getting rid of it in favor of a more capable machine.
I have thought about jumping up to an LX2610SU or L2501. For my purposes, I don't think going to a B series buys me anything interesting, but the added loader capacity of an LX or L opens up a lot of possibilities, like using small round bales.

Take it easy at first until you’re comfortable with knowing how your machine handles on it.
I'd definitely want to get a decent amount of experience before trying it, for sure!

Reactions: 1 user

twotall88

Equipment
BX2380
May 12, 2022
Maryland

I know this is an old thread but I'm currently mowing a correction: 56-60° slope up and down (mostly backing up/driving down) with my BX2380 and 60" MMM without issue.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I know this is an old thread but I'm currently mowing a 40-46° slope up and down (mostly backing up/driving down) with my BX2380 and 60" MMM without issue.

That is impressive - that would be a true 12/12 slope - I hope you are always in 4wd and never slightly wet!;)

twotall88

Equipment
BX2380
May 12, 2022
Maryland
That is impressive - that would be a true 12/12 slope - I hope you are always in 4wd and never slightly wet!;)
I'm going to measure again today but I did a rough measurement with my phone's clinograph a while ago and that's about what it came to.

It would never make it half way up in 2wd

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm going to measure again today but I did a rough measurement with my phone's clinograph a while ago and that's about what it came to.

It would never make it half way up in 2wd
45 DEGREES is really steep. Do measure it again.

Personally something I would not attempt. Doubt my tractors would climb a 45 degree slope anyway. I would expect traction loss.

Even on dry concrete unlikely. I could be wrong though.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
For reference, this my BX with 4 foam filled tires, and the mower deck hanging real low.

For a cross slope, this is my pucker factor point, but I am sure the BX would be stable a greater angles.

Up and down, no issue.
1D59047C-C495-4466-BD23-96BCC74934F6.jpeg

I think this is probably around a 22 degree slope.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Oh my…my tilt-o-meter starts to wrinkle the vinyl seat before I get to that point side hilling…when do your tires start to lift up? I assume no loader on when doing that slope?

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Oh my…my tilt-o-meter starts to wrinkle the vinyl seat before I get to that point side hilling…when do your tires start to lift up? I assume no loader on when doing that slope?
No loader on the BX as I have one on the larger tractor. At this angle absolutely no indication of instability. Foam filled tires are really heavy.

Still, this angle is where my pucker factor kicks in. I later added 1.25” wheel spacers just to be sure. They only add insurance. Needed or not. Max I could add with the MMM.

twotall88

Equipment
BX2380
May 12, 2022
Maryland
45 DEGREES is really steep. Do measure it again.

Personally something I would not attempt. Doubt my tractors would climb a 45 degree slope anyway. I would expect traction loss.

Even on dry concrete unlikely. I could be wrong though.
Redid the measurement, turns out I was dilexing the number I saw. It's 60-56°

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Redid the measurement, turns out I was dilexing the number I saw. It's 60-56°
Even a more dangerous situation. Give up on the idea of dealing with it.

Question your assessment though. A simple look should be enough to tell one slopes like that are out of the question.