How much SUDT

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Getting prepped for the 50 hour service. Going to get the filters from the dealer tomorrow. My question is how much hydraulic fluid should I plan on losing. I can't do the vacuum method since I'm only one person and the dog just looked at me when I tried to explain everything to her! Less than a qt.?

TIA

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Getting prepped for the 50 hour service. Going to get the filters from the dealer tomorrow. My question is how much hydraulic fluid should I plan on losing. I can't do the vacuum method since I'm only one person and the dog just looked at me when I tried to explain everything to her! Less than a qt.?

TIA
Truly depends on how fast you are! Unscrew old filter WITH one hand, new one in other hand, it might make a bit of a mess, but you'll loose less than a pint, maybe even a cup if you are smooth enough. Last time I did it....gravel driveway and not even jacked up, lost only about a cup! I would not get to caught up on filling the new filter before application. Just spin and tighten!;)

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Just an idea that may work for you. Hook up the vacuum and use a drop cord where the plug for the drop cord and vacuum are right by your side unplugged. With the vacuum on but unplugged unscrew filter until it starts to drip plug in vacuum, remove and replace filter turn off vacuum.

Just a thought on how you can pull it off without another set of hands.

Good luck.

Jay

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A BX holds like 3 gallons. Why would you not just change it all and have fresh clean fluid to go with new filters.

Just my opinion of course but after seeing what came out (@50hrs) of the 3 new tractors I bought I'll never run one past 50 without changing all the fluid.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
That and buying 5 gallon pails is cheaper than smaller quantities. At least at my stealer.

And imho always keep a set of filters on hand. You never know when you might poke a stick through something...and you're always ready for the next maintenance.

-Mac

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
That and buying 5 gallon pails is cheaper than smaller quantities. At least at my stealer.

And imho always keep a set of filters on hand. You never know when you might poke a stick through something...and you're always ready for the next maintenance.

-Mac
I like that idea about having an extra set of filters.

shiraz627

Equipment
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I called the dealer where I bought the machine to see if he had both filters in stock. Sure enough he did not have the transmission filter in stock.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A BX holds like 3 gallons. Why would you not just change it all and have fresh clean fluid to go with new filters.

Just my opinion of course but after seeing what came out (@50hrs) of the 3 new tractors I bought I'll never run one past 50 without changing all the fluid.
My opinion as well and why would anyone 'suck' the fluid out when the bottom drain plug(s) are so handy. You want to to bottom drain to remove any 'stuff' in the bottom of the case. 'sucking' the fluid out won't get that.

All the Kubby's I've owned, think I've had at least 5 or 6 not counting my 2 present M's, all specify a fluid and filter change at 50 hours, something I do without fail because that 50 hour change is very important as it gets any machining or casting debris out of the system.

3 gallons is inconsequential. Both mine require a 54 quart (13.5 gallon change and both have dual case filters plus oil plus fuel. 27 gallons of fluid when I change them both together.

I always use OEM filters except for oil and my case filters are 31 bucks each.

Being penny wise is being pound foolish. You want to remove all the contaminants at 50 hours no matter what. I consider the 50 hour change, the most important for the overall life of the tractor.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

-Mac
I get mine in 55 gallon drums. It's even less expensive but harder to handle (plus a drum deposit).

I too keep complete filters sets on the shelf... (for all my motors actually).

Not sure my dealer is a stealer. He has to make a profit to stay in business, not a charitable organization. No profit, no business, no dealer.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio

That's the great debate. For some unknown reason that no one (dealers, Kubota Corp) can explain, the BX23S manual does NOT call for a hydro fluid change at 50 hrs, where the BX2380 does. Since they are basically the same tractor, it makes no sense. My inquiry to K-Corp resulted in a worthless form letter reply to "refer to your dealer", like they are the one's who create the owners manuals! Of course, dealers don't know why, because they didn't design the tractors or write the manuals. They always just default to "change the fluid anyway".

For what it's worth, when I changed my hydro oil @50 hrs, it was very clean, as was the screen. I do however, notice less HST whine noise since the change. And yes, I used SUDT2.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I parked on a hill and used the fell to raise the front end.
Only lost what was in the filter.
MYbe if you have car ramps?
Ray

shiraz627

Equipment
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Just to stir the pot a little bit. The guidance from Kubota on my 2018 BX23S states that the hydro fluid does not have to be changed until 400 hours. Just replace the filter @ 50 hours.

shiraz627

Equipment
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I parked on a hill and used the fell to raise the front end.
Only lost what was in the filter.
MYbe if you have car ramps?
Ray
That's just what I am thinking as I do have a pair of Rhino ramps.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just to stir the pot a little bit. The guidance from Kubota on my 2018 BX23S states that the hydro fluid does not have to be changed until 400 hours. Just replace the filter @ 50 hours.
I prefer to err on the side of doing what the manuals say for my 2 units and they say 50 hours., both of them.

Your mileage may be different but I know what my mileage is...

Don't use UDT or SUDT either. I use Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic. Crosses to SUDT and you can see it. Interestingly it's orange on the dipstick.

Between my 2 I have a sizeable investment. I paid just over 120 grand for both.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just got a drum of Amsoil and my wallet is still in a cast.
Other day I had a thread about my pleasant surprise after a non-mandatory (GASP!:eek::eek:) HST fluid service on my BX....thing was so quiet after....

OTT Member Fordtech thought we were gonna need a go fund me thing for my expenses...:D

I even (kinda) knew what a go fund me thing was!!:p It was funny!

Betting your go fund me for that drum would be bigger than mine!:eek::eek:

Still cheap insurance...I've said it ad nauseum....I know you prescribe to the same principle....:cool:

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Still cheap insurance...I've said it ad nauseum....I know you prescribe to the same principle....:cool:
For sure. I have never been able to ignore service on my equipment.

My old boss used to get aggravated at me at times because when my loader was due a oil change I shut it down and changed it. 28,000 hrs later the original engine was still running strong and didn't burn a drop of oil between changes.

I don't believe in cutting corners on maintenance.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Other day I had a thread about my pleasant surprise after a non-mandatory (GASP!:eek::eek:) HST fluid service on my BX....thing was so quiet after....

OTT Member Fordtech thought we were gonna need a go fund me thing for my expenses...:D

I even (kinda) knew what a go fund me thing was!!:p It was funny!

Betting your go fund me for that drum would be bigger than mine!:eek::eek:

Hope the beer is back in the budget now! Lol

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I get mine in 55 gallon drums. It's even less expensive but harder to handle (plus a drum deposit).

I too keep complete filters sets on the shelf... (for all my motors actually).

Not sure my dealer is a stealer. He has to make a profit to stay in business, not a charitable organization. No profit, no business, no dealer.
Doesn't hydraulic fluid pick up moisture over time? If I bought a 55 gallon drum and I used 3 gallons a service...let's say 3 a year...12 gallons...it would be a 4 to 5 year supply... would that do ok sitting around that long?

-Mac

Sorry for the hijack...

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Doesn't hydraulic fluid pick up moisture over time? If I bought a 55 gallon drum and I used 3 gallons a service...let's say 3 a year...12 gallons...it would be a 4 to 5 year supply... would that do ok sitting around that long?

-Mac

Sorry for the hijack...
It is not hydroscopic.

Hopefully, you'll keep the drum closed/sealed and not let the sun heat it up in the day and let it get cold at night, not store it out in the rain. ;)

If the drum is kept at a somewhat steady temperature (inside a building out of the sunlight, out of the rain) it will last a very long time. Certainly five years.