How far do you road travel your BX?

Snave

Equipment
BX1880, LA344s, Back Blade
Nov 24, 2021
Prospect, Nova Scotia, Canada
My requirement is about 2.5km or 1.5miles up the road to my in-laws to clear snow. During the ride up and back was wondering what others consider the limit of road travel on their BX?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would affix a yellow beacon light to the roll bar due to the poor visibility, snowing or dark, and drive it.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Mine's never done more than 1/2 mile on the gravel road. Some here have driveways that are longer.

The flashing light is good. Remember all car/truck drivers do see you and they want to hit you. Keep that in mind as you travel. Be safe.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Wow you're a nice guy ! considering how long a trek that is timewise !! Wish I had a 'road gear' on my BX23S..
Yes, light it up ESPECIALLY during the daytime !!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My requirement is about 2.5km or 1.5miles up the road to my in-laws to clear snow. During the ride up and back was wondering what others consider the limit of road travel on their BX?

I have gone down city "streets" ...zigging and zagging on the back roads - longest i've gone is about 1.5 miles .....High gear moving at incredible 7+ mph !!! With flashers on ...... and lights....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Mine's never done more than 1/2 mile on the gravel road. Some here have driveways that are longer.

The flashing light is good. Remember all car/truck drivers do see you and they want to hit you. Keep that in mind as you travel. Be safe.
It DOES seem that way sometimes. I’ve witnessed drivers…who often have the mental attitude that STREETS are for CARS! They get angry whenever coming up behind a large Truck…or Travel-trailer… or Ag-Equipt on the roadways…. They act as tho’ unless it has a common “license plate” …that it doesn’t belong on the road where CARS are entitled to be. :oops:

They don’t know their history…where roads were Created BY footpaths, carts, horses, …For and By agricultural and general movement purposes. They even get mad at and deliberately RUN OVER family pets, dogs, and the poor raccoon who is bewildered by cars whizzing-by in the middle of a forest. Doh.

My wife was gone to church-camp, my pickup was in the shop, and I was supposed to work the polls on election-day… so I drove my tractor 3 miles on pavement to get to the polls. Several times I thought I was going to be killed by reckless, angry fools in their cars who refused to share the road which I ALSO pay for. :cool:

But to be honest… I prefer not to wear out my expensive ag tires on pavement…so If I had to go several miles regularly… I think I’d trailer it instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I have LED light bars all around + a flashing top light.
Everyone has headlights, the orange triangle and hopefully working hazard flasher lights.
I added mirrors so at least I had a little forewarning of getting hit from behind.

All that and you're still in some danger.

My brother is a police officer and he says every year, duma$$es run into fire engines, cop cars and school busses, lights flashing etc.

The lights help, but if they're looking at their crotch(cell phone), they won't help you much.

Be careful out there ! Where I live (rural), lotsa farmers with tractors and folks are used to them, but I've still seen close calls by cell phone zombies.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
3.3 miles to my dad's place. Flat, straight backroads all the way with lights and flashers on late morning after the school busses and morning traffic. If he would to be needed it again, I'd load it on the trailer!
I plow a few elderly neighbors driveways, all are within a couple tenths of the house.
Regards,

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I mow some distance along a rural road that has enough traffic that there will be at least a few cars every time. There is about 90% of a certain gender that will not move over a bit, and about 90% of the other genders will give me space. Law says that we are not to throw the clippings on the road but I will never turn my back on the crazies and the clippings be damned.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I mow some distance along a rural road that has enough traffic that there will be at least a few cars every time. There is about 90% of a certain gender that will not move over a bit, and about 90% of the other genders will give me space. Law says that we are not to throw the clippings on the road but I will never turn my back on the crazies and the clippings be damned.
In addition to riding a tractor, I also ride a motorcycle.
Clippings along a straight stretch don't bother me usually (I move over), but, wet clippings in a turn can be very dangerous. Folks have actually dumped their bikes and died.(I am not trying to be dramatic--it's happened)

Just so you know.

I also mow towards the road (at times) for the same reasons as you, but I am a long straight stretch on the top of a hill (almost always windy) so usually the clippings aren't there very long. Even when I snowblow, I am almost never with my back to traffic.....too many cell phone zombies or just ijits not willing to move over. Somehow "they" own the road !

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I too, ride a motorcycle and understand. Where I mow it is straight for half a mile ending at a stop sign. It is a race track that allows the zombies to barely glance away from their crotch. There is no excuse for not moving over unless there is oncoming traffic and we all can see far ahead to make a sensible judgement.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Remember all car/truck drivers do see you and they want to hit you. Keep that in mind as you travel. Be safe.

I doubt that is the case.
But maybe a good perspective to keep in mind...At first I was going to make a stronger statement, but see your perspective as being meaningful.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
In addition to riding a tractor, I also ride a motorcycle.
Clippings along a straight stretch don't bother me usually (I move over), but, wet clippings in a turn can be very dangerous. Folks have actually dumped their bikes and died.(I am not trying to be dramatic--it's happened)
Funny, but a couple years ago I was mowing and a guy in a triaxle dump truck stopped, and I stopped my mower and asked what's up?

He said I ride a motorcycle and don't appreciate you putting grass clippings on the road.

I said, you are talking to the wrong guy! I road my motorcycle 14,000 miles through undeveloped countries, from Spain to Thailand, to a great extent on unmaintained dirt roads. AND you are worrying about some grass clippings? LOL...get a life!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
It’s one of those “biker” things, like loud pipes and so much other childish nonsense. The children swayed some politicians to create the clippings law.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I doubt that is the case. But maybe a good perspective to keep in mind...At first I was going to make a stronger statement, but see your perspective as being meaningful.
It was tounge in cheek. But it is a mindset good to have when on the road. One issue is target fixation. People see something and without thinking, drive right at it. This is why there is one tree in a field and a guy crashes into it. So in a manner of thinking, they are aiming for you.

I think that when driving a car, truck or motorcycle. I try to keep in mind what might happen if I am careless and then get very vigilant.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I would not like plan a trip Any further than I have enough fuel to get there and back (unless a fuel station along the way). 😁. If I am going down the road then it is to get to someone’s house in the area to help….then it depends on which is more hassle of hooking trailer and loading or just driving the tractor direct. Tractors, eq, atvs are all normal….even folks riding horses. Same with in the small town near us. If I am going to actual city, then the little girls is getting set on the trailer.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Josy needs to be banned ............ 4 posts and nothing said that is worthy of the post

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Well kinda funny I drove my m9000 3 miles to next farm over right into pasture grabbed a bale feeder ring to barrow, got the weird eye from his hired man I waved laughed and drove the bale feeder home on my spears lol gonna return it same way next week as finally I bought another ordered feed panels 2 months ago... still not here. So bale ring around the mud pits I play... hoping for dry weather for few weeks