How does the hydraulic shuttle and clutch work in an M6060 or similar.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm not asking about the simple explanation of how it works or it's purpose but rather how it works mechanically. I'm very familiar with manual transmissions, clutch disks, pressure plates, throw out bearings, clutch linkages etc., but have no idea about the hydraulic shuttle, wet clutch disks, or the clutch on the M6060 and how they all work together.

I've started looking at schematics online at Kubota's illustrated parts list but it's hard to get an idea of how the clutch works and how the shuttle works.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The best explanation I could provide is the foot clutch works just like any other foot clutch. It disconnects the transmission from the engine (excluding PTO). The hydraulic shuttle clutch pack is downstream from the foot clutch and includes a set of reversing gears.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Trying to explain the process I'd probably just butcher it up.
I'll send you the WSM and look on pages:
Adobe pages 246-251
or
Manual pages 2-M3 - 2-M11

This should give you a good idea what's going on.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Adobe pages 246-251
or

Thanks very much. I downloaded the manual and am reading the section on the Transmission. Once I've got a basic understanding I'll try to ask an intelligent question or two.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Adobe pages 246-251
or

Send to me as well, plz.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm not asking about the simple explanation of how it works or it's purpose but rather how it works mechanically. I'm very familiar with manual transmissions, clutch disks, pressure plates, throw out bearings, clutch linkages etc., but have no idea about the hydraulic shuttle, wet clutch disks, or the clutch on the M6060 and how they all work together.

I've started looking at schematics online at Kubota's illustrated parts list but it's hard to get an idea of how the clutch works and how the shuttle works.

Thanks very much.
Assuming it works like the hydraulic M6040, there is no conventional clutch. There are 2 hydraulic clutch packs (plus a third one for the PTO), one for forward and one for reverse. The shuttle lever controls a selector valve that directs oil to one or the other.

The clutch pedal controls a pressure regulator that controls how much pressure is applied to the clutch pack through that selector valve. When fully depressed, no pressure - when foot off the clutch, full pressure.
That's the basics, there are a few details you'll see on the clutch hydraulic flow diagram.

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Assuming it works like the hydraulic M6040, there is no conventional clutch. There are 2 hydraulic clutch packs (plus a third one for the PTO), one for forward and one for reverse. The shuttle lever controls a selector valve that directs oil to one or the other.

The clutch pedal controls a pressure regulator that controls how much pressure is applied to the clutch pack through that selector valve. When fully depressed, no pressure - when foot off the clutch, full pressure.
That's the basics, there are a few details you'll see on the clutch hydraulic flow diagram.
Thanks very much.

The reason I ask is that I've noticed something a little odd with the M6060. When I start the engine and let it warm up for a few minutes, the tractor starts to "rock" back and forth about 1 to 2 inches. It will do this under the following conditions.

Hydraulic shuttle > N
Transmission gear selector > N
Parking brake > Off
Clutch > Not depressed
Range > Low
2WD/4WD > 2WD

If I start the tractor with the transmission gear selector in 3 but everything else the same it won't rock back and forth after a couple of minutes of warming up.

I'm trying to understand how the tractor can move at all if both the hydraulic shuttle and transmission are in N.

I spent some time looking for other cases like this and found at least one example on this forum dating back to 2018.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks very much.

The reason I ask is that I've noticed something a little odd with the M6060. When I start the engine and let it warm up for a few minutes, the tractor starts to "rock" back and forth about 1 to 2 inches. It will do this under the following conditions.

Hydraulic shuttle > N
Transmission gear selector > N
Parking brake > Off
Clutch > Not depressed
Range > Low
2WD/4WD > 2WD

If I start the tractor with the transmission gear selector in 3 but everything else the same it won't rock back and forth after a couple of minutes of warming up.

I'm trying to understand how the tractor can move at all if both the hydraulic shuttle and transmission are in N.

I spent some time looking for other cases like this and found at least one example on this forum dating back to 2018.

First thing I would do is a complete fluid and filter change, as I've seen a lot of issues with clutches and valves due to wrong / bad fluid.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
First thing I would do is a complete fluid and filter change, as I've seen a lot of issues with clutches and valves due to wrong / bad fluid.
I bought the tractor new with 1.1 hours on it and it has about 4 hours now. It's possible that the dealer put the wrong hydraulic fluid in but it's unlikely. It takes 15 gallons so I sure hope that I don't need to replace it. The M is going to the dealer to have some upgrades installed so I'll have them look at it then.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I bought the tractor new with 1.1 hours on it and it has about 4 hours now. It's possible that the dealer put the wrong hydraulic fluid in but it's unlikely. It takes 15 gallons so I sure hope that I don't need to replace it. The M is going to the dealer to have some upgrades installed so I'll have them look at it then.
Sounds like a good course of action for now!

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
The best explanation I could provide is the foot clutch works just like any other foot clutch. It disconnects the transmission from the engine (excluding PTO). The hydraulic shuttle clutch pack is downstream from the foot clutch and includes a set of reversing gears.
Your info about traction clutch is incorrect.

These type tractors with hyd shuttle have a damper clutch that never gets disengaged. The foot pedal is connected to a hyd valve which when depressed limits hyd pressure to hyd shuttle fwd or rev clutches

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
mcmxi
I've read of other Kubota tractors rocking back & forth in neutral when 1st started after being not operating(cool) a period of time. I think it's just the "nature of the beast" .

When I 1st purchased my '11 M7040 with 137 hrs on speed hour meter every once in a while on initial engine start up I could hear a rumbling sound under instrument panel. After several 100+ hrs of use the noise went away. Tractor now has 1600+ of trouble free use

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
mcmxi
I've read of other Kubota tractors rocking back & forth in neutral when 1st started after being not operating(cool) a period of time. I think it's just the "nature of the beast" .

When I 1st purchased my '11 M7040 with 137 hrs on speed hour meter every once in a while on initial engine start up I could hear a rumbling sound under instrument panel. After several 100+ hrs of use the noise went away. Tractor now has 1600+ of trouble free use
Thanks for the feedback. Even if it's the "nature of the beast" I'd still like to know how it's possible given that the shuttle and transmission are in N. As I mentioned, if I have the transmission in L3 when I start the tractor it doesn't appear to do it but it will in L1.

I'm still reading through the WSM that @North Idaho Wolfman provided but slowly getting a better understanding of the drivetrain. I want to be as informed as I can be when I drop the M off to the dealer for upgrades including creep, 540E, third function, 3rd rear remote, ballast, top-n-tilt and widening the track width. Maybe it won't do it once the creep option is added ... who knows!