Hot shot secret diesel extreme

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi All,

I wanted to see if any folks have experience with diesel extreme and striction remover to address blow by. I bought a B8200 HST 4wd recently and I am working through many maintenance items the previous owner didn’t do. You can see the blow by coming out of the valve cover breather tube. It seems like a good solution to the problem. I think my machine sat a lot. I could be wrong and a rebuild is in my future but I thought I would start here. Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks so much.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Snake oil!
To get rid of blow-by in that engine its going to need at minimum a re-ring.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Hay I've got 3 cans of STP on the shelf ! Along with other interesting cans of 'stuff'..

I recycle my forklifts blowby, using 1.5" ABS to plumb into the intake. Had to do this cause the dripping onto the concrete pavers was turning them coal mine black.....

It was also a LOT cheaper than the $5K estimate to rebuild the BUDA, AFTER I was to pull the engine.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i've used it on my truck

it did nothing and I ended up putting injectors in it anyway

it says in their online advertisement that it will free sticking injectors which are causing "clacking" particularly on the 7.3's. That's what mine was doing. Clacking pretty good on a couple cylinders. Figured why not try the stuff that says it'll cure clacking. It didn't do anything but make my wallet lighter. Absolutely nothing.

on mine i didn't have any blowby issue just a injector clacking issue which was resolved by replacing the injectors

blowby is usually a function of excessive clearance or gap inside the cylinder, where things are supposed to seal, they're not. And an additive is not going to fix that.

mechanical problems are not curable solely by an additive

Reactions: 1 user

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
i've used it on my truck

it did nothing and I ended up putting injectors in it anyway

it says in their online advertisement that it will free sticking injectors which are causing "clacking" particularly on the 7.3's. That's what mine was doing. Clacking pretty good on a couple cylinders. Figured why not try the stuff that says it'll cure clacking. It didn't do anything but make my wallet lighter. Absolutely nothing.

on mine i didn't have any blowby issue just a injector clacking issue which was resolved by replacing the injectors

blowby is usually a function of excessive clearance or gap inside the cylinder, where things are supposed to seal, they're not. And an additive is not going to fix that.

mechanical problems are not curable solely by an additive
Thanks for the feedback.

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
Hay I've got 3 cans of STP on the shelf ! Along with other interesting cans of 'stuff'..

I recycle my forklifts blowby, using 1.5" ABS to plumb into the intake. Had to do this cause the dripping onto the concrete pavers was turning them coal mine black.....

It was also a LOT cheaper than the $5K estimate to rebuild the BUDA, AFTER I was to pull the engine.
Lol.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
There is a reason folks in the diesel world call it Hot Snot.
If you have blow by, then either the CCV system is not working, the rings are coked or the cylinder / rings are worn. Coked rings are common when diesels run cold for extended periods. I've had pretty good success dropping a few ounces of Sea Foam/ injector cleaner/ etc in each cylinder through the glow plug holes. Leave it there for a few days. Crank the engine by hand daily.
If there is still excessive crankcase pressure then it could need mechanical work.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
As for STP… it basically (in its’ original constitution) was a lot of zinc additive which really IS USEFUL for anti-wear in most applications…but NOT ALL. (Some types engine bearings can be damaged by zinc… not knowlegeable about those particular bearings…. just recall prohibitions in certain engines I used to work on in an assembly-line operation not to ever use zinc additives with them.)

If you do any online research you’ll run across anti-wear additives in some lubricants that use zinc in lower concentrations than original STP which was “supercharged” with the stuff.
Modern STP and clones have less of the additive because of EPA restrictions, especially in catalytic-converter equipped machines, where zinc will kill it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I guess the question becomes what to look out for to get the top end done?
It's not the top end that needs done if it's got blow-by, its the bottom end.

Honestly if it's starting easy enough then I wouldn't worry about it.
If it gets hard to start, like excessive cranking, then do a compression test to make sure that's your issue.

jcmiller77

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Nov 5, 2022
New Hampshire
It's not the top end that needs done if it's got blow-by, its the bottom end.

Honestly if it's starting easy enough then I wouldn't worry about it.
If it gets hard to start, like excessive cranking, then do a compression test to make sure that's your issue.
Thanks. Right now it’s not hard to start. 6 to 7 seconds of glow plug usage when cold. I plan to move snow with it this winter. I have used the block heater on it. Works amazingly well. Right now my area is around 32 degrees F.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Since your tractor starts and runs, I'd be sure the oil level is correct then fire it up and put it under load at about 7/8 or full throttle for a couple hours work. You may find a cleaner/less blowby. Could be a lot of carbon build up from not using properly (running at low RPM) and then setting.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
jcm.. I see you have a block heater...do you have a 'battery warmer blanket' as well ?
If not, get one... a warm battery is a HAPPY battery and will turn over the engine a LOT better.