Homemade garden bedders

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Anybody here build one?

Ive been looking at buying one, then I thought it looked too simple to build one a lot cheaper, and then I went to youtube…🤦‍♂️🤣🤯

What do y’all use?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Anybody here build one?

Ive been looking at buying one, then I thought it looked too simple to build one a lot cheaper, and then I went to youtube…🤦‍♂️🤣🤯

What do y’all use?
Good day. Short answer is No I did not make homemade bedder…long answer is…I started down that route but that was when the steel prices surged…the price of the materials was more than just ordering the completed unit with FREE delivery to a commercial address / freight terminal. (Yes I am probably going to hell for that😉). To pour salt in the wound for me really came when time to price the discs…they are not cheap either. Part of my issue could have been my spec and how I would process the material though too…drilling all the holes was going to been an issue for me without a proper drill press or mill. Anyway I went with EA…same thing for my potato plow(it was shipped to my door for FREE via ups…I am really going to hell for that🥶). I was going to make something that goes into the rear triangle for both the bedder and the plow (see below… did that with intentions for modular implements specifically a plow and bedder)but at the time steel had a surge and I got wobbly knees and just ordered the bedder and plow. I think if you have access to scrap you can probably build and come out ahead…I did not have access to scrap and the price to buy new steel was too much for me to make it worth my time compounded with how I was going to drill all those holes on the cross piece….I wanted the ability to move the discs in/out for bed width. I have not looked lately so I am not sure current condition.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
"access to scrap" motivated this reply.
I'm very lucky to have an industrial surplus yard just a few miles from my house. The name of the establishment is Moses B. Glick, and there is a website: mbglick.com

If you visit the website, get ready to drool! Click on "SHOP"

Huge inventory of stock steel, aluminum, stainless, pipe, even plastic for fabrication. [I'm going to build a couple of plastic bird seed feeders.] Last time I bought steel there, it was $0.60/lb. I've never NOT found what I was looking for there. Sometimes I go just to get out of the house and wander around to see what's new.

Also a lot of stuff like steel shelving, carts, tanks, and such... A giant shed full of screws, nuts, and bolts, sold by the pound.

-Paul

Reactions: 2 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
You can order one from Agri Supply. Order a Keulavator, which is basically a bar mounted on some points to put it onto the 3ph. Then order 6 to 9 cultivator tines to bolt onto it.

I had something similar to it. A friend of mine gave me his old JD M soil ripper. I designed a conversion to 3ph, and he made it up in the machine shop.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
No need for one, 2 passes of the Italian 5' rototiller and it's seed ready.....
I heavily add compost every year, everything that can go into the 'mix' does
grass clippings from neighbours, pony poop, straw,organic waste, new drywall,etc.