Home security system

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I know some have them ,what are you using, like just fire smoke and motion inside the house or cameras too. Seems we have some unsavory individuals lurking around. Sooo better safe than sorry,, any ideas you guys are using that work well

Reactions: 1 user

Bigfoot724

Equipment
L2501, RCF2060, Homemade Grapple
Mar 9, 2021
Oregon PNW
I like dogs as my security system for my house, I also have a gate on my driveway and there are a few turn arounds a week at my gate.

Firefox

Equipment
2650 hst cab,fel,72mmm,48lp forks,48 tiller,PeCo vac,wt box
Mar 15, 2018
Swanton ,Oh
Driveway sensor that beeps(inside house and workshop) with motion Tied into ”Moose” security sys( I installed about 20 yrs ago which monitors all doors. Also “Nest” cameras that monitor front yard(driveway),and backyard,and one inside when away from home. Internet based (iPhone/iPad with 5/10 day recording. Cameras need 120v outlet. smart cameras will zoom and follow any movement within about 50 ft. Top quality cameras

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a buddy who flies for BA and he was sitting in England when I needed a tool I’d loaned him. He texted to me the entry-code to his hangar-home in a airport-community. I drove over, entered the hangar.... looked where it should be... couldn’t find it. Searched for about a half-hour.... no luck...
I texted to see if he might help thinking this will take too long and maybe he might not get the text in a timely fashion. He texted me back almost immediately.... which included a pic of me wandering-about in his hangar.... and he’d inserted an “arrow” pointing off to my right where the tool was located. LOL. (I had no idea he had cameras in there...but they followed me and could zoom, etc.) 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Two cameras that used to work but the software is out dated but they wouldn't be able to tell. Also 2 trail cameras along with a driveway sensor and when all else fails a Browning 12 gauge pump that has a real bad attitude.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I was trying to post a video from one of my Blink cameras. I have several. But for some reason its not in the right format to post it the site says.
So heres a still photo from one of my Stealth cams. $14. a month sends instant photos from where ever you have it set. Here its at the end of my driveway 500' from my house and this big bastard just happened to stop and rest there after taking all my sweit baskets and empting the bird feeders. 007200030STC_0191 400lb Big Bear.JPG

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I was trying to post a video from one of my Blink cameras. I have several. But for some reason its not in the right format to post it the site says.
So heres a still photo from one of my Stealth cams. $14. a month sends instant photos from where ever you have it set. Here its at the end of my driveway 500' from my house and this big bastard just happened to stop and rest there after taking all my sweit baskets and empting the bird feeders. View attachment 57885
Mmmmmmm, taste the gravy

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Whlle I live in a safe area, I wanted cameras due to the distance involved to see if something is happening, br it a goodie from UPS, a neighborhood pup coming over for a treat or a coyote looking for trouble.
I went pro because I am able to run the wiring and like to have 100% flexibility. Dahua commercial grade. Pan, zoom, tilt. If anyone even gets close to a camera a secondary alarm is triggered if they try to smash, paint, shoot of in anyway disable.
Over the years, a few of the delivery people have been a tad swarthy and all noticed (red flag!!!) the cameras. I made a point of telling them that there were more that they could not see, that I watched them approach from the main road, 1/2 mile away.
A lot of security is making people aware it is exists and is a through, complete system. I think having built in cameras reinforces this.
You want to avoid WiFi systems as they are way too easy to defeat. Hardwire only.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I use Blink cameras. I have several of those around the house and shop. I also use door alarms on individual doors.

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
I wired every window and door on the first floor and basement. Have motion sensors. Wife doesn't turn it on, says the beep from a door opening will scare them away. Have multiple cameras with a laptop running all the time. Most importantly - put up signs saying the property is protected. Have to look into driveway sensors as have a long driveway.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I wired every window and door on the first floor and basement. Have motion sensors. Wife doesn't turn it on, says the beep from a door opening will scare them away. Have multiple cameras with a laptop running all the time. Most importantly - put up signs saying the property is protected. Have to look into driveway sensors as have a long driveway.
Yes I forgot to mention that I have signs saying surveillance cameras in use. From what I've seen thieves are lazy people and would rather go to an easier mark.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We have a driveway sensor which beeps when someone enters. For Christmas a Grandson gave is a WYZE camera that we have in the carport. It sends a notification to our phones with a 12 second video so no matter where we are, we know when someone enters our carport; UPS, FEDEX, or whoever.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I have a zosi 4 camera system, works great, set up to record motion, and I get a text, so far only caught the propane guy filling the tank. But having a system is great piece of mind

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I worked for a major aerospace firm, they had a division that did security systems. Worked with one of their advisors and came up with several different features.
A common problem out here used to be that most systems needed to be manually reset after being tripped. So a burglar would throw a brick through a window or glass door, triggering the alarm, which would run for 5 mins, then quit. Then the burglar would wait a couple hours & come back and have a free hand.
My system rests itself, and has multiple rings of sensors. So even if you come back through that broken window/door later, you will trip another ring of sensors, triggering the alarm again. There are multiple rings of protection- breakage sensors, motion detectors, door window contacts, floor switches.
I don't have much, but I worked hard for what I have, so I make it as difficult for scum as I can.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As I've said before;
#1 Wolves,
#2 Camera's, they are usually only needed so I can notify next of kin who the wolves ate.
#3 May a gun, in many a location
If they are super lucky and get past all that, well lets just say no one is that "lucky", but then they will meet the wife, and trust me when I say, that can be worse than a wildcat in a sack beat with a stick.

• Haha

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
At my home, its German shepherds one is trained for search, protection and security. He enjoys bite work. The other while noisy, intimidating and has scared many, like most dogs probably wouldn't do anything.
I had a UPS guy show and when I heard the dogs, I went to the gate and he was in his truck. He said, when he saw the first one, okay, when the second one appeared, he wasn't taking the chance the security door would stop him so he ran to his truck.

At work lorex camera system. As stated, its hardwired. Electric gates to get onto the property motion sensor lights as well as bright floods. The building has sensors at every opening.
I did have a guard dog and she was the most effective, but too many employees and deliveries to control her. She did send a man who entered uninvited to the hospital.

then there is the 9

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have had two incidents caught on camera.
In the first, a young POS hot wired & stole a motorcycle from me, & took off down a street at an estimated 60mph. Trouble was that the street was a "T", and at the top of the "T" he drove through a 4x4 post, taking down a porch roof, and then hit the corner of the concrete block house, obliterating my motorcycle. He was caught on the neighbor's security camera, clearly enough to show the broken rib sticking out through his t-shirt. He also left most of the skin of his right palm & fingers on the head pipe, that he grabbed to get out from under the wreck. He crawled away, and 5 people watched him do it.
He was never caught, police said he was probably illegal.
In the second, another POS ripped the Christmas lights off the front of my house while we were out to dinner. Two different cameras (including one belonging to the top ranking FBI agent in the state) caught the whole thing on tape & stills. They got a clear pic of him, his truck, the truck camper shell, and his license plate. Everything was stolen, including the plate. He was never caught either.
So, both times, cameras, with clear pics or tapes, did nothing to deter or catch the POS.
YMMV.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
We have a driveway sensor which beeps when someone enters. For Christmas a Grandson gave is a WYZE camera that we have in the carport. It sends a notification to our phones with a 12 second video so no matter where we are, we know when someone enters our carport; UPS, FEDEX, or whoever.

I have several Wyze cams. The catch is, you need an electicral outlet and be within range of your wireless modem/router. Fortunately, I have a good signal. The make the versions that can pan and the fixed models. I have both, but I prefer the simple non-moving cameras, as they have a good field of view anyway. The important ones, I have set up to notify me of motion, and the first one I put up was in my barn looking out towards my house, and I can see my tractor. If anyone comes up to the barn, it will alert my phone with 12 second video. It is also nice to be able to check the cameras to see what is going on when I am away from home, out of town, etc.

Attachments

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I use a Lorex digital IP wired camera system cameras that are powered by the same cat 6 cord, I have cameras outside viewing all doors and window access, you can set area and size of movement to trigger alarms and email if wanted, mine has a NVR recorder so there is no montly cost to veiw and have access from anywhere, they have a phone app. that gives full view and access.
They do offer wireless systems.
There may be other brands have similar setups?
I have been using it for 5 years and have expaned it over time.
Lorex was a Flir company.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
My main security is a mile-long dirt road that looks like the road in horror movies leading to the "murder field" :)

There's almost always someone home and always armed.

But I'm putting in a driveway sensor and looking at a few other options like Simplisafe - unmonitored, given the first half of the previous statement.