Home made Sun Shade or Canopy for my Kubota BX2650

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The past few weeks mowing in our high temps and humidity convinced me to finally fabricate a sun shade for the B2650. I also take care of a couple of lawns in different locations so wanted something easily removeable for trailering, working in treed areas, and for wintertime. That meant it had to be light as possible since I don’t seem to be getting any younger.

Made from 1” sq. tubing, sheet steel for the side bracing/mounts, oak slats, window screen channel, and outdoor Cordura fabric for the top. The channel was pop riveted to the steel tubing and the Cordura fabric rolled into it like window screen. Using the handles, it slips on/off quite easily even for me and it’s held in place with the two clamping bars. Later, I think I’ll cut out some lightening holes in the side brackets which might take another 4-5 lbs. off in weight.

On order is some orange Coroplast to make some fold down sun visors for the front and sides. I'll also fab up some large wing nuts for the clamps so a wrench isn't needed. It sure is nice to get out of the sun when working out in the open!
B2650 Sun Shade.jpg
Roof Bow Mounts.JPG
Sun Shade Guide Bar.jpg
Sun Shade Handles.JPG
Sun Shade Mount.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I like it a lot. An idea for the next one. Make the cloth roll up like on a dump truck cover and wrap a velcro belt around it to hold it rolled up as you go down the road. Even less work!

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I like it a lot. An idea for the next one. Make the cloth roll up like on a dump truck cover and wrap a velcro belt around it to hold it rolled up as you go down the road. Even less work!
BigG, great minds think alike! LOL. The treated Cordura is a little thick and did give me some troubles rolling it into the channel. But once in, it seems pretty secure. At some point I'll give it a "road test" as it should be pretty easy to spot in the ditch if it lets loose and flys off. :) My other mowing jobs are about 6 miles away so I don't need to travel too fast anyway. After a few days of thinking.....it dawned on me to do what you suggest. And then, since velcro seems to loose its grip after a while, I thought about removing the window screen channel and turning the Cordura top into a "slip cover" setup with some magnetic tabs sewn in place. Just as in the Winter Front Covers I make and sell. Then the whole cover could come completely off and be put on in seconds without the need to remove the frame at all.
I'll have to ponder the two methods and on a rainy day complete the new top mod. All in all, it works great. Will be even better with some flip down sun visors. Maybe even a couple of built in muffin fans that could hang on some tabs. Keeping the weight down is the biggest factor as its only purpose is for shade and ease of install/removal.

Thanks for lookin' and your kind comments!!
david

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
reminds me of a bimini top you find on a fishing boat, that is genius! Another totally first class custom job Dave. I always admire your work.

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
reminds me of a bimini top you find on a fishing boat, that is genius! Another totally first class custom job Dave. I always admire your work.
You're right, now that you mention it....it does remind one of a boat top! I made some wing nuts for the clamps today so a wrench isn't needed. When the plastic Coroplast gets here and the visors are made....I'll post some follow up pics again.

Thanks for the compliments, B737! Not sure about the genius part as I don't get brainstorms.....just slight drizzles every once in a while. There are a couple of other small projects in the works. One of which should bring some good chuckles amongst the OTT family. I'll have to find, take and organize some pics for them soon.

Regards,
david

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My Coroplast (plastic carboard, essentially) arrived and my visor addition finished. After the front visor was done the improvement was drastic so I made visors for the sides and rear also. the front and side visors are adjustable. the rear visor is fixed. All are quickly removeable for trailering if need be. The side visors can be adjusted straight down (or removed) when working in the trees or mowing along the edge of the woods.
Sun Shade & Visors.jpg
Side Visor Latched.JPG
Side Visor Extender.JPG
Front Visor Tensioner Setup.JPG
Fixed Rear Visor Attachment Knob.jpg

The Coroplast idea worked out quite well. It's glued into a slot cut in a thin strip of oak. Short metal pins in each end of the wood act as the hinge points in the brackets. Now that the bugs are worked out
the next job will be to stain or paint the wood and fittings. Keeping the sun off your bod is sure nice!!
david

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Look at these custom brackets and levers. You keep out doing yourself !

Weasel1

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Land Pride Rotary cutter, Kubota bucket
Jun 28, 2020
East Tennessee
30C19DA4-C6E9-402F-B408-0234E102EADC.jpeg

Just made this one today. Found a used golf cart roof for $25 and used $22 worth of hardware.

Reactions: 1 users