Home built PTO Reverser

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
This was posted elsewhere. Figured it might get searched for in here so posting pic here as well

HomeReverser.jpg

Considering that connectors/joints on front pto shaft's to hydraulic pumps use double roller chains for strength, as did my Jeeps 4wd Transfer case...... I'd do double roller chains here if was going to build a reverser like above.

Looks like they kept it a 1:1 ration which makes perfect since. Also a PTO stub shaft and not a square one might be wiser?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Right damn ingenious !

Wonder why so much "drop" and wonder how the tension is adjusted?

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Right damn ingenious !

Wonder why so much "drop" and wonder how the tension is adjusted?
No info was given but I suspect the drop was to match a specific item NOT mounted with a 3pt hitch... just pulled along. or something about engineering logic of length needed when designing things using a chain that I'm not familiar with. I'm admittingly stupid here.

Wonder if horizontal bolts barely visible at back of the lower PTO portion play a part in tensioning?

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
If it was made with 2 output shafts, it would be really handy when jamming post hole diggers. Just move the PTO shaft and reverse out of the jam.

Bruce

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
If it was made with 2 output shafts, it would be really handy when jamming post hole diggers. Just move the PTO shaft and reverse out of the jam.

Bruce
GREAT POINT cause then one would not have to dismount it in order to use the OEM PTO output

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm pretty sure that, that design is not what it appears to be.
I think it's a PTO adapter that turns the rear PTO output into a mid PTO adapter to run a deck mower. ;)
If it was a B6000 reverser it's wouldn't have a 540 output shaft on the top!

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I'm pretty sure that that design is not what it appears to be.
I think it's a PTO adapter that turns the rear PTO output into a mid PTO adapter to run a deck mower. ;)
If it was a B6000 reverser it's wouldn't have a 540 output shaft on the top!
your probably right since your are right most all the time:D but... the concept might work for a reverser too? Just would need little redesign for that purpose?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
you got me.....still laughing too!!!!

now is that a blonde cutting the gggraa.........snow????:D:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well by golly I will,,, no hearing protection , no safety glasses no hard toe shoes. I just dont understand how anyone would let her cut/blow like that :rolleyes:

davesisk

Equipment
Kubota BX1850 w/ FEL & MMM
Oct 11, 2017
Raleigh, NC USA
This was posted elsewhere. Figured it might get searched for in here so posting pic here as well

View attachment 20561

Considering that connectors/joints on front pto shaft's to hydraulic pumps use double roller chains for strength, as did my Jeeps 4wd Transfer case...... I'd do double roller chains here if was going to build a reverser like above.

Looks like they kept it a 1:1 ration which makes perfect since. Also a PTO stub shaft and not a square one might be wiser?
That looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to build and get right. I agree with one poster about using double chain. It could be done with belts too, but those might slip if running a heavier implement. There's really only gears, chains, or belts...I think those are the only available choices.

Actually, there is one more available choice...small hydraulic pump and hydraulic motor. Could even add a valve to that to make it go clockwise or counter-clockwise. Not sure if any kind of reservoir would be needed...possibly a very small one, but just using a little extra hose between them (inside the case) might be a sufficient reservoir.

Dave

Last edited: