Home Brew Root Ripper

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
Being as I have more time and scrap than money... 😄

Designed this to bolt to the side of the bucket. I have enough stumps to yank that changing to dedicated tools was going to be a PITA so I thought I'd try this first. The 'Ripper' will stick out 12" below the bucket.

Cut from 1/4" steel, the 3 pieces will give me a 3/4" thick piece once combined. I designed the 2 outside pieces with the cutting edge roughly 1/4-3/8" back from the center piece. My thoughts are to weld them together and then grind a semi sharp edge to it.

Attachments

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Placing more load on one FEL lift arm might spring or twist FEL frame. 3pt may have more lift capacity than FEL. Cheap subsoiler may be the tool you need.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I agree, you are headed towards a tweaked loader frame o bent bucket.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Not sure I fully followed you but take a look at this design, I like the way it works.

Reactions: 1 user

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Being as I have more time and scrap than money... 😄

Designed this to bolt to the side of the bucket. I have enough stumps to yank that changing to dedicated tools was going to be a PITA so I thought I'd try this first. The 'Ripper' will stick out 12" below the bucket.

Cut from 1/4" steel, the 3 pieces will give me a 3/4" thick piece once combined. I designed the 2 outside pieces with the cutting edge roughly 1/4-3/8" back from the center piece. My thoughts are to weld them together and then grind a semi sharp edge to it.
I think those could be very effective if used with bucket curl ONLY.

They could put a tractor wheel lifting load on in a big hurry.

I've got way to much stone.....

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Got the Ripper mounted today. Will test tomorrow. Painted orange just because I can. I realize it won't last.
I was looking for something to replace a bucket on a small Kubota excavator and searched the internet far and wide for items to help me remove small stumps fast, I found a rake design and then a single point ripper for larger stumps, here are my final products that I had fabricated, they both work real well and fast with little ground disturbance compared to working with a bucket. Maybe time to start fabricating?

Rake Ripper 05262020.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The single point looks really good, but it's been done. I haven't seen anything like your rake, though.

I'm not sure how it would sell. I can see it getting a lot of work done, but if hit bigger roots, it would get stopped a lot sooner than a single ripper.

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
OK, I've removed 2 stumps since mounting my 'Home Brew Ripper' and I'm calling it a success. The more I use it the more I figure out how to best make use of it.

What it can't break thru with the bucket curl I'm learning how to 'saw thru' the thicker stuff.

Is it perfect, no. But has it sped up my stump removal? YES! Today's smaller stump (12-14" Dia.) took less than 2 hours from start to finish and finish means the stump is out of the hole and the hole is back filled.

Reactions: 1 users

Ricklesss

Equipment
L3901
Aug 5, 2020
Dexter Oregon
Ha! Just like Terrain Twister, I've got more time and scrap then money!
Well, maybe not time, but no money anyhow!
Can anyone post up measurements of the BXpanded ripper tooth for the BH77?
Thickness of blade, length would be GREAT to know!
Mounting steel thickness too, maybe..
Many thanks!