Hilly Farm Bushhogging

Jlwolaver

Equipment
M6800
Oct 26, 2021
Tennessee
I have a 2013 M7040 4wd with cab and loader. The rear tires are as wide as they can go with fluid in them. The dealer recommended not to widen front tires due to bearing and seal failure. I have lots of hills!! What is the recommended MAX slop I can go up and down and sideways on? Also any ideas on lowering center of gravity to the max?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I have a 2013 M7040 4wd with cab and loader. The rear tires are as wide as they can go with fluid in them. The dealer recommended not to widen front tires due to bearing and seal failure. I have lots of hills!! What is the recommended MAX slop I can go up and down and sideways on? Also any ideas on lowering center of gravity to the max?
It would be beneficial to see some pics of the 'hills'. It would be more than irresponsible of anyone to suggest a 'MAX' slope you can mow on not knowing the soil type, grass, roughness, etc.

Clearly, you already understand that in some situations you would need to go either up or down a steep hill rather than sideways on it. It is good that you have 4wd because you will need to use it for not only traction but for safety sake when descending a steep hill. More than one person has experienced a 'run away' tractor and believe me its no fun. You won't do it a second time.

Rather than solicit recommendations here....consult the manufacturer for any published limitations for your equipment and spend some time reviewing Videos on the subject so you will have a good understanding of the dangers involved and what to look for.

There is a plethora of videos on YouTube concerning mowing on steep slopes. I would review those, apply as appropriate to YOUR equipment and terrain. But above all, go slow, be careful, KNOW the terrain before mowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Keep your FEL and 3-point implements as low to the ground as you can. Keep in 4WD when on hills. Tip overs can happen going sideways on a not so steep hill if you hit a rut or rock or other object. The tractor can get out of control on a muddy hill. I might be able to do 15-20° sideways under the right conditions.

Jlwolaver

Equipment
M6800
Oct 26, 2021
Tennessee
So if O go to Kubota and build a tractor. I have to select M7060 which is the newer M7040 but it has an optional M9564 rear wheel spacer kit ($1059) says it adds 2 inches per side. This would be huge in my opinion. Anyone every used these?

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Go low and slow. Type of bush hog makes a difference. Many hills I can go only straight up or down.

Added 2” wheel spacers almost immediately to the B26 and made a big difference on our hillside farm for stability. Wheels not adjustable like ag tractors. Have you studied your manual for all the rear wheel adjustments? My ag tractors had about six or seven 4” space settings.

No one can tell what slope is OK. Too many variables like speed, holes, loader or 3pt positions that change your center of gravity. Stability has as much do with operator control as equipment configuration. Can tell you rolling over is no fun.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I don’t know what the right answer is with so many variables and not a good way to measure…but in general I think add some safety margin, or don’t…your machine your choice. As a reference I do a lot of off road expedition travel (over landing) and a safe rule of thumb is not to let the tire on one side of vehicle be higher than the opposite side…and that is when you have suspension on each side of vehicle. I would think a tractor has way less stability on a side hill. If you start to slide and then it catches I think that is a NG situation, so just because you have traction and not yet tipped are you really in a controllable situation. Tractor has center pivot axle (really not you friend on a hill side IMO) so a lot really depends on how the front axle is loaded…if it’s loaded heavily that’s not a good situation. Just think it through where the weight is leveraged/loaded and if not sure ask yourself what’s it worth to find out? As slow as possible and as fast as necessary. Keep the rubber the side down. 🥃

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You shouldn't go 'sideways' on a hill unless you have a tractor that has been specifically built or modified for that purpose.Yes,lots of people have done it, sadly I've gone to too many funerals for those that didn't come home. You're supposed to go up and down hills.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Keep the ROP intact and up and wear your seatbelt. Improves your odds if you do go over.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Keep the ROP intact and up and wear your seatbelt. Improves your odds if you do go over.
^^^^

Yep, I learned that lesson not too long ago as accounted in this thread:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/fess-up-mistakes-youve-made-or-close-calls.60990/

"I'll begin with a recent experience of my own.

I pretty much NEVER wear a seat belt when operating my Compact (open station) tractor. And prior to my experience have not had issues with that choice.

But I am persuaded now (in certain circumstances) to start doing so.

I was mowing some road frontage on my property late this past summer. I keep about 1/4 mile of it mowed regularly and the other 1/4 mile maybe once a year...since the county mows it twice a year anyway.

What happened:

There is Johnson Grass and Crimson Clover that grows quite thickly along the road frontage/easement and can grow tall enough that it becomes unsightly and also begins to intrude on my fence line.

I was mowing the area I don't often attend to. I had my shredder and FEL in place. Mowing slowly in 4wd.

All was well and I was mostly focused on my rear-view mirror to watch for traffic coming up behind me (when making the pass nearest the pavement).

All of the sudden....my right front wheel dropped down into a hole I couldn't see because of all the foliage. A hole that had never been there before. When that happened the tractor tilted front to rear (lifting the left side rear tire) and caused the tractor to come to an abrupt stop as the FEL dug in the dirt.

The result of that is that it launched me out of the seat and up against the steering wheel. And only by grabbing the steering wheel was I able to keep from falling off the tractor to the tilted side.

The tractor remained running and the front tire in the hole spinning and the lifted tire in the rear spinning (thankfully). I quickly got back in the seat and stabbed the clutch. I was fortunate that the front loader (held low) caught the tractor and that I was mowing at a fairly low speed.

But it could have turned out much differently. If I had not had the front loader on the tractor, it would have tipped on its side for certain and no telling where I would have landed without my seat belt on. I still don't wear it doing many chores but I DO when mowing road frontage now."