High tech garden watering

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
After a cool wet start, it's come off hot and dry and the garden is starting to show it.

Rather than buy (ouch...) 300 feet of hose and beat up my well, I take advantage of the fresh water stream that is my back property line.

wg1.jpg

I have a little Homelite 2 stroke pump that I use to...

wg3.jpg

Fill this 30-ish gallon pickle barrel that I put a bulkhead fitting in, and then...

wg2.jpg

Use Guido (my Pasquali tractor) to haul it up to the garden and flood irrigate. Just two rows of taters (Red Pontiac and Kennebec) and some 'maters this year. I've noticed in past years that I get WAY better results with stream water. I suspect it's the dissolved nutrients in the water.

Reactions: 5 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
You can buy 100 ft of the newfangled lightweight hose off of Amazon for $33 if that helps. We just replaced 2 higher quality hoses with these newer type. The wife prefers their lightness and ease of use, So far so good 2 months in. Good luck with the taters.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This was our "high tech" watering system about 40yrs ago, before we had water on the land.
We filled a 500gal water trailer at a community well, and used a 200ft hose hooked to the trailer to water trees and such. What ever we could not reach with the hose was watered using this setup.
It was made from 3 AC freon tanks sectioned and welded together, with a gas tank filler neck & cap.
We also carried 5gal buckets of water in the trailer.
quad tank.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
The automatic drain valve on my 25+ year old compressor corroded up so it accumulated water for who knows how long. Didn't trust it so it became my new water tank. Put some wheels, hitch, pump and switch and can shoot a stream about 25 ft. Works good.

Attachments

teresariedlinger31

Equipment
L60LE
Aug 2, 2022
USA
Good job. This hot weather leaves us no choice but to water the gardens. I have been planning to install a drip watering system after the renovation of my garden. I want to implement one of these garden edge ideas in my garden and will try to integrate this system into one of them. I want the little trees and flowers I will plant to feel alright in the summer. If they lack water, they will probably die, and I don’t want that. I still have not decided what I will plant in my new garden, but there will definitely be citronella because I can’t stand mosquitos.

Last edited: