High quality 12V fan for ROPS?

jcwren

Equipment
L4701HST w/ LA765, RCR1272, Forks
Jul 22, 2021
Clarkesville, GA
I've been searching for a high quality 12V fan to mount on the ROPS, something in the 6" to 8" range. I need it to be relatively water resistant in case I get caught in the rain (tractor is stored in a covered area). While not a deal breaker, 2 or 3 speeds would be nice, although I'd probably leave it on high anyway. Definitely needs to not rust, so a stainless or aluminum fan cage would be good. It doesn't need to come with a ROPS mount, but it needs to be mountable, e.g., nothing with a built-in pedestal base. Ideally it should be made in the USA, or at least not China.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Or make/models to definitely avoid?

At the moment, I'm setting a Ryobi One-Plus fan in the dashboard mounted Alabaska Innovations toolbox. That works, but now I have no room in the toolbox for anything else :(

Thanks!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
as FF100 says...
and... CHEAP !! Usually free or <$20 at scrappers. Can get speed control for another 20 or less.

Reactions: 1 users

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I have 10” electric radiator fans on both of my tractors. Also put one on my dads Polaris ranger. They were about $15-$20. The one on the L has been on since 2014, almost 500 hours with the fan being ran 80% of that time. Mine are mounted under the canopy’s. If you do that they just have to be far enough away from the canopy to pull in air from the sides of the fan shroud.
When I bought my MX the first things I added was an auxiliary fuse block powering the fan, and LED lights, even before buying implements.

Reactions: 1 user

jcwren

Equipment
L4701HST w/ LA765, RCR1272, Forks
Jul 22, 2021
Clarkesville, GA
I have 10” electric radiator fans on both of my tractors. Also put one on my dads Polaris ranger. They were about $15-$20. The one on the L has been on since 2014, almost 500 hours with the fan being ran 80% of that time. Mine are mounted under the canopy’s. If you do that they just have to be far enough away from the canopy to pull in air from the sides of the fan shroud.
When I bought my MX the first things I added was an auxiliary fuse block powering the fan, and LED lights, even before buying implements.
I ordered a 14" from Summit and a speed controller from Amazon. We'll see how that works. The 14" is around 1500 CFM, which is probably a tad much, but we'll have to see. If the CFM is too high or a 10" fits better, I'll order one. I know Ventrac and the expensive ROPS fan kit someone mentioned seem to use large diameter fans.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I ordered a 14" from Summit and a speed controller from Amazon. We'll see how that works. The 14" is around 1500 CFM, which is probably a tad much, but we'll have to see. If the CFM is too high or a 10" fits better, I'll order one. I know Ventrac and the expensive ROPS fan kit someone mentioned seem to use large diameter fans.
Speed controller would be interesting. I wouldn’t want any more speed than what the 10” puts out. I positioned mine a few inches forward of center where my head would be, through trial and error I’ve moved it several times. It’s forward enough to blow on my arms, face, and head at the same time while traveling at an average forward speed. Too far back while traveling forward it would just blow on the back of my head and neck.

Also for reference I added the auxiliary fuse block, wire to battery, fan, fan relay, fan switch, 20” and 12” light bar, 2 cube led lights, light switch, 12v outlet, and brackets to mount the lights and fan for about $200-$250.

Reactions: 2 users