HID Projectors In BX2350 Headlights

OC455

Equipment
BX2350 LED ROP, FEL, Belly mower,modified snow blower, pole boom, middle plow
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
So,
After doing some custom headlights for my 2018 RAM 1500, I was going to use a set of OEM fog lights and put some small HID projectors inside of them for a retrofit. I traded in my truck for a new Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, so it has all big upgrades so no need for any mods.

So, the fog lights have been sitting around collecting dust after getting them opened up and the projectors fitted inside. I removed the projectors from the fog lights housing and then removed the Kubota's headlight assembly. I had a cheap pair of LED bulbs inside....they only made the headlight whiter and provided no extra light out front.

Placed the headlight assembly in the oven at 210 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Took them out and was easily able to remove the lenses from the headlight buckets. Used one of the washers for the projectors as a template to mark the back of the headlight housing around the bulb opening to make sure the projector shafts have enough of an opening to get them seated.

Attached the projector shrouds and then got them set up and tightened down. While the headlights were still open, I hooked up a relay harness to my car and test out the projectors to make sure the cutoffs were level. Good to go with a slight adjustment and got them set.

Th butyl rubber sealant that is used on the Kubota headlights is good, just stick them back in the oven and re-heat to soften the sealer and stuck the lenses back in and pressed them in place. (Also had to sand and polish the lenses because they were yellowed).

After replacing the hood/bonnet because I cracked it, I put the headlight assembly back in and then wired everything up using the Heavy Duty relay harness to provide power from the battery. The harness uses the headlight plug for the input to turn it on.

List of materials:
Bi-Xenon: Morimoto Matchbox 2.0 Easy Install HIDs | TRS (theretrofitsource.com)

HD Relay: 880 Relay Harness | The Retrofit Source

H1: Morimoto XB HID 3000K-6500K HID Bulbs | TRS (theretrofitsource.com)

35W: Morimoto XB35 2.0 Computer (Universal) (theretrofitsource.com) At the time I bought these the 50w ballasts were on closeout.

AMP: Morimoto XB Igniter Ballast Outputs | TRS (theretrofitsource.com)

Morimoto MotoHo1ders Precision Bulb Holders | TRS (theretrofitsource.com)

Mind you I was going to use these for a Ram 1500, so I spent the money on good quality parts.

Most of the bulbs/ballasts/and other stuff is on closeouts so it could be done cheaper. The Matchbox 2.0 projector is perfect for the small space installations.

I'll get some pics up shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Yellowed lens:
1618178058038.png

Opened headlight with Morimoto Matchbox 2.0 projectors installed:
1618178123230.png

Cleaned up lenses:
1618178163254.png

1618178188143.png

Testing the lights & the alignment:
1618178230523.png

1618178253561.png

Nice clean cutoff:
1618178296353.png

Reactions: 1 user

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
New hood/bonnet with the re-sealed headlight assembly:
1618178393573.png

Ballasts & ignitors mounted to the hydraulic hood brace/mount:
1618178452464.png

1618178485389.png

Relay wiring harness:
1618178529225.png

1618178559923.png

Lights on and working:
1618178601862.png

1618178656057.png
1618178633441.png

I think it turned out well. Need to get some night output shots to see how well it lights everything up. Only issue I need to get the snow blower off the front to get a good shot of it. Just haven't gotten around to it yet...LOL

Reactions: 2 users

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
That's pretty freaking cool! Would love to see the night shots when they come around.

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Night time, snow blower still on. Better than the 881 halogens or LED bulbs:
1618189196102.png

1618189219631.png

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Very interesting upgrade. Being a senior senior citizen, I had to do some education before I could fully understand the difference in the technologies. I found this site, which explained it so I could understand what you were doing. While I have seen these on some of the newer cars, I never gave it a thought as to how the lighting was accomplished. This is the site that I used to learn more https://www.xenonpro.com/difference-between-projector-reflector-headlights.
The headlights on my BX23S are rated in birthday candle power, and are worthless for nighttime driving. The LED lights that came with the Kubota cab make up the difference, and illuminate in front of the tractor with enough light for whatever I intend to do with the tractor in the nigh time.
I did notice that you have lighting on your snow blower. How well do they work for night time snow blowing. I usually wait till daylight before doing snow removal because of the lighting issue. This is why I ask.
Thanks
Dust

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Very interesting upgrade. Being a senior senior citizen, I had to do some education before I could fully understand the difference in the technologies. I found this site, which explained it so I could understand what you were doing. While I have seen these on some of the newer cars, I never gave it a thought as to how the lighting was accomplished. This is the site that I used to learn more https://www.xenonpro.com/difference-between-projector-reflector-headlights.
The headlights on my BX23S are rated in birthday candle power, and are worthless for nighttime driving. The LED lights that came with the Kubota cab make up the difference, and illuminate in front of the tractor with enough light for whatever I intend to do with the tractor in the nigh time.
I did notice that you have lighting on your snow blower. How well do they work for night time snow blowing. I usually wait till daylight before doing snow removal because of the lighting issue. This is why I ask.
Thanks
Dust
Yup, the reason I put those 7inch LEDs on the chute was because the headlights wouldn't shine past it very well. Also turning the chute with them on, I see where it's going and to make sure nothing magically appears where I want the snow to go. I'm actually going to remove the light bars and replace the mounting tabs with longer arms like I wanted. The guy I went to, did what he wanted, instead of what I asked for. Was stuck with it like that unfortunately.

I'm going to get a set of VisionX spots to replace the 7inch light bars. Going to redo some of the wiring and tidy everything up.

3.7" Optimus Round 20º Beam LED Light Kit – Vision X Off-Road

Eventually get two sets of these, one for the ROPS and one set for the snow blower chute.

Sometimes I don't have a choice in when I get to snow blow sometimes, hence the extra lighting.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
That looks great!

. I took a set of bi-xenon headlights from a Cadillac and put them in my CBR 1000RR, they were amazing. I never thought about my tractor, but yours look so good, I may have to do it as well. 👍

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
That looks great!

. I took a set of bi-xenon headlights from a Cadillac and put them in my CBR 1000RR, they were amazing. I never thought about my tractor, but yours look so good, I may have to do it as well. 👍
I used the Matchbox projectors because they are small and will fit nicely inside of the housing without cutting or trimming anything. The only thing i didn't do was hook up the solenoid for the high beam activation. I didn't feel like wiring up a switch or having to run power to it. I should have ran the solenoid wires but I cut them off instead....just didn't like the idea of loose wires just hanging there.

If I used the high beam solenoid the brightness would be amazing....but it being on a tractor, I'm not driving highway speeds...LOL

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It don't matter what kind or watts the headlights are in my BX23S, loader and bucket reflect/block 99% of the Lumens.......
..that's why I added LEDs up high on my modified ROPS

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
1618446665135.png

I'm about 25ft away from the house. It's not too dark, but you can see the cutoffs and the light is pretty centered in the middle and doesn't have the width, not a big deal I expected that. Not like I'm driving the roadways at night....LOL.

Most of my time is spent mowing, so not to worried about it. Upgrading the ROPS lights is going to happen in the near future. This was just a fun project with left over stuff....just to see if I could do it.