HF quick hitch won't fit my stuff

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
bought a HF quick hitch and nothing fits?
I ordered the adapter, maybe then it will work but I guess it won't be a "quick hitch" then.
the pics show why it won't work.
I also have several other implements that don't fit, yet, maybe after I get the adapter?
I guess many others have dealt with this but I wanted to show others that haven't bought one yet what to look for and what to expect on their equipment.

Attachments

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Your three implements shown are out of specs for quick hitch. The top pin should be very close to 15 inches above the lower pins, and accessible from below by the hook. The non-quick standard height is 18, so that's why most quick hitch hooks adjust. But it still needs bottom access.

To use the hitch:

1.The adapter will usually work with them

2. You can often hook up the bottom (if in specs), then insert the loose top hook upside down over the implement pin and then pin it to the quick hitch.

3. Modify the implements.

Bruce

Implement specs:

Attachments

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
jpf,, this is a common complait. There is not an industry standard for the exact spaceing for the hookups within the catagory 1, 2, and 3 implements. There are specs for the size of the pins and a general width of the lower arms, but that's it. The quick hitch I bought only easily fit one of my implements, the rest I had to modify. Once you get that done, life on the farm gets a lot easier.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I have the same problem. I have my box blade which was suppose to be compatable so it works now but it is still not right. I am going to make the adapter for now but this summer when I get more time everyone of mine will work the way I want. I just have to figure out how I want to do it as I am now finding what works on one will not work on all.Another problem with using this hitch is hooking up the PTO shaft. It is in the way so you have to bend your body in ways mine don't bend in anymore. I am starting to think for me it is faster to leave the hitch off on anything using the PTO

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
That is exactly why I went with a Pat's quick hitch. It isn't as "quick" or convenient as a quick hitch that actually works, but it fits all my attachments and leaves room to hook up the PTO.

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I bought a Pat's quick hitch years ago and it went in the junk pile. Just did not care for it

cmorris1

Equipment
L3901 HST
Nov 30, 2014
Louisville/Hart Co.
I bought a Pat's quick hitch years ago and it went in the junk pile. Just did not care for it
why did you not use the Pat's? The reason i am asking is that I have one and really dont know that I like it as I have to adjust it for my different land pride implements and I thought that wouldnt be the issue?
thanks
chris

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Most of the things I have are old and I have a plow and disk made by ferguston in the late 40's or early 50's. The pin distance is different on each one so I have to get off the tractor and adjust the arms for each one. I may as well just hook up with out the quick hitch. I have a Kubota snowblower nd it has the pins on the inside of the frame and they are much narrower than most other things so I could not get the Pats in there. My quick hitch will not work on this so this summer I am going to remodel it so it is to specks for the quick hitch. I mush not be the only one that did not like them as I see them a few times a year on the fle markets. It isn't that they made a good product it is just there are no specs to what the attachments are made 2.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
When they are (or can be modified to be) Quick Hitch compatible its great. When they're not, its not.

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Any thing can be remodeled it just depends on how much time you want to spend and how much time you have.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
To be honest I haven't read thru all of the responses. If your equipment is category 1 and your tractor is the same buy the "Y" as shown in my pic. No you wont be able to just back up to them and go but it sure is easier than not having a quick hitch at all. I don't know the name brand of mine but it's just one I bought from the farm store. Once I hooked up the "Y" it's been a life saver. Well a time saver for sure,!!

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Ike, here is how I hook up my mower so that I don't have to wrestle with the pto shaft at the tractor" very tight work space'". See pic. Basically I hook the tractor side first then hang the shaft off of the quick hitch using baling wire or what not. Once I have it hooked up, then I attach the shaft to the mower. Works like a charm.

When I first came here I didn't know the difference between the categories. Still cant tell you the exact measurements. One problem I had, my box blade was a cat 2 with cat 1 sized pins, this really confused me. All other implements I have are cat1 so they hook up nicely with the quick hitch. Yes I still have to get off and adjust the top link so the "y" fits into place but it sure beats trying to adjust the lower arms, there just isn't enough space for me to work comfortably. I'll attach a pic of how my quick hitch lines up with my cat2 box blade. As you'll see it doesn't work. I have to take the qh off to use it. Been looking to trade it for a cat2, just haven't found the right one.

Attachments

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
To be honest I haven't read thru all of the responses. If your equipment is category 1 and your tractor is the same buy the "Y" as shown in my pic. No you wont be able to just back up to them and go but it sure is easier than not having a quick hitch at all. I don't know the name brand of mine but it's just one I bought from the farm store. Once I hooked up the "Y" it's been a life saver. Well a time saver for sure,!!

Hope this helps.
This is all fine if your equit. is newer. The older stuff the top hookup is uite a bit higher than where the hookup is on the quick hitch. I did the same as what you have but I used 2 flat pieces of metal with a 3/4 inch hole on each end and then bolted it fast to the top and the hook up end I put a bushing in it. Now I can hook it up without getting off the tractor. I made a discovery this morning on my tiller. It has a small hole at 18 inches from the pin center and by making this hole 3/4 inch I can put a bushing and pin in it and hook it up the way it was meant to be.According to the chart I have the top link hookup should be 18 inches from the lift pin centers which seems to be right. As I said earlier any thing can be remodeled and it is nice to have a small machine shop in my workshop. I made enough stuff for other people I guess it is my turn now LOL

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I have ordered the HF adapter, sure hope it works?
they don't show a good picture of it on the HF web site but I think it is the same as Benhameen's adapter?
I tried the put the hook on upside down and on my bush hog it was a pain, not much better than no quick hitch at all.
the bottom hooks up just fine it's the top that runs into fitting trouble.
I hope the adapter works even if it's a little slower it's got to be better than nothing, right?

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
I have spent the last 6 months modifying my implements to fit the quick hitch. The only thing left is the original tiller that came with my gray market tractor. The posts go the wrong way and the PTO shaft is not long enough.

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont

Here's a picture from the HF instruction page that came with mine.
I rarely use the hook since I got this. Yeah it's a little slower but backing up, picking up the quick hitch to engage the two lower pins and then getting off and flipping this over to connect the top link seems the quickest for me. I adjust the top link then for what I want to do.
Used on
Rotary cutter
Boxblade
Rear blade
Dirt scoop
Receiver hitch adaptor from Titan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
A torch, hammer, grinder, and paint go a long way in getting that quick hitch to work the way you thought it would when you bought it.

P.S, use the above mentioned only on the implements

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
No need for the hammer. I just used a cutoff saw, welder and drill. I got my tiller so it hooks up the way it was suppose to on the hitch, went to hook up PTO shaft and guess what IT WAS TO SHORT. Took the hitch off and rehooked the tiller without it. Now I need to find a place that sells the tube for the PTO