Hey gardeners out there, need some advice

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
So my upper driveway plantings are done. Now for the finishing work. . . There are two sections I planted (each side of the driveway). I plan on putting bark chips down but before that I need some sort of edging to make sure they don't migrate all over the place. Of course it has to pass the boss' approval.

On one side the driveway and planting elevations are the same. I need about 50 linear ft of edging for that.

On the other side everything starts level at the street but the driveway is slowly 'cut' into the side. By the time you get 60 or so ft into it the cut is about a foot difference. It's going to take eithers layers of something or something tall. . .

I have already been shot down by suggesting lining both side with rocks - something we have an endless supply of.

In the back yard where I planted the 6 Butterfly bushes in a row I have been given the approval for pressure treated 4X4's to make it look like a raised bed. That may be a possibility up top.

Left side
upper plantings left.jpg

Right side - planting go beyond the tractor
upper plantings right.jpg

Looking for creative suggestions :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have already been shot down by suggesting lining both side with rocks - something we have an endless supply of.
Damn, I was going to suggest rocks.
IMG_07.jpg IMG_10.5.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
What I do is mark the edge where I want it to be with paint works. Then I take a flat shovel and cut a trench around it. Stick shovel in ground, use knee to lift and kick dirt into the bed. When I use pine straw, I lay it past the trench into the grass and use the shovel vertical to crimp the straw into the trench. Prevents it from sliding out of the bed.

You can do the same with mulch, it will slide into the trench or V but should not come out easily.

They also make a garden bedder that will do this for you, they rent them here at Home depot.

I find the shovel just as easy.

I go around my borders and the trees as well.

Once done the first time subsequent years are easy.

No cost only time and the edges look clean and neat.

Hoping this makes sense. My brother worked for a high end landscape company and this is how they formed all the beds on the properties weather they used pine straw, mulch, or even small rocks in the beds.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
What I do is mark the edge where I want it to be with paint works. Then I take a flat shovel and cut a trench around it. Stick shovel in ground, use knee to lift and kick dirt into the bed. When I use pine straw, I lay it past the trench into the grass and use the shovel vertical to crimp the straw into the trench. Prevents it from sliding out of the bed.

You can do the same with mulch, it will slide into the trench or V but should not come out easily.

They also make a garden bedder that will do this for you, they rent them here at Home depot.

Hoping this makes sense. My brother worked for a high end landscape company and this is how they formed all the beds on the properties weather they used pine straw, mulch, or even small rocks in the beds.
hmmm. . . this might be possible. I can use 1 scarifer on the box blade to gently dig the trench. I'll try one area. Won't be doable where the driveway is much lower than bed tho - that would be shovel time.

Thanks!

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
After posting looked for some You Tube videos and found a few.

If interested try searching for creating border edges with a shovel.

Also, I edge mine with the weed eater turned sideways so the string spins vertical to keep the grass from creeping in.

I know I did a poor job explain but a couple of videos may can feel in the areas I was unable to translate into words.

Happy Friday OTT!

Jay

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

I did something similar to all my beds, but an arborist told me not to do that near my trees because it pruned a lot of the feeder roots that are only down a couple of inches.

Weeding the edges is a pain. Not a big fan of roundup, but cleaning up the border once a year by laying down a hose to make a smooth line and spraying the grass that gets inside it is very tempting.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I did something similar to all my beds, but an arborist told me not to do that near my trees because it pruned a lot of the feeder roots that are only down a couple of inches.

Weeding the edges is a pain. Not a big fan of roundup, but cleaning up the border once a year by laying down a hose to make a smooth line and spraying the grass that gets inside it is very tempting.

Hey Sheep around my trees I make it about 3 feet away and I don't cut it as deep. I can see what you are saying and it makes sense.

Far as spraying be careful if you have Bermuda or Centipede as they have runners. If you spray the runner in your bed it can kill grass outside the bed as the chemical travels through the grass.

Had this happen at church guy sprayed the beds and it killed our Bermuda in some places 2 feet outside the bed.

Good practice would be to edge the bed first which will cut the runners then spray carefully inside the bed.

Have a great day!

Jay

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Similar to creatures idea, ive done this for stone paths and driveways... Put the box blade at max tilt with side link, then cut a sharp angled edge around the perimeter. The steep edge should keep 90% of things from escaping, just like digging it with a spade. (box blade corner edge needs to stick out wider than the tire for it to work)