Hey Fordtech86- Ford/lincoln liftgate Problems?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My saga:
My 2017 Lincoln MKX Liftgate stopped working. It tries to open, lifts about 1/8" then stops. Took it to the dealer (it's under warranty) and they scheduled a repair appointment 3 weeks out. Went home. Got up next morning, and the battery was dead. (5.1 volts) Jumped it, went back to dealer, they put in a new battery. Went home. That night, went out to the garage and found inside & outside courtesy lights all on- apparently the tailgate "open" switch is incorrectly keeping the lights on because it thinks the gate is open. Went back to the dealer and they pulled the fuse for the liftgate. Went home. Next morning the battery was dead, 5.01 volts. Went back to dealer, and they gave me a loaner until they can fix mine.

Dealer claims to be down several techs, with an electrical guy returning this coming Monday, and mine supposedly will have priority. (because of the caregiver thing)

I looked online and found lots (maybe 20?) of 2016 Ford & Lincoln liftgate problem complaints, but no causes, solutions, or resolutions.
My questions to you are:
Is this a common problem?
What is the likely cause/fix?
Do the newer years use the same hardware?
I realize this might not be your area of expertise, but I thought I'd take a shot.
Thanks in advance, hope you can shed some light on this.
Bill

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
My saga:
My 2017 Lincoln MKX Liftgate stopped working. It tries to open, lifts about 1/8" then stops. Took it to the dealer (it's under warranty) and they scheduled a repair appointment 3 weeks out. Went home. Got up next morning, and the battery was dead. (5.1 volts) Jumped it, went back to dealer, they put in a new battery. Went home. That night, went out to the garage and found inside & outside courtesy lights all on- apparently the tailgate "open" switch is incorrectly keeping the lights on because it thinks the gate is open. Went back to the dealer and they pulled the fuse for the liftgate. Went home. Next morning the battery was dead, 5.01 volts. Went back to dealer, and they gave me a loaner until they can fix mine.

Dealer claims to be down several techs, with an electrical guy returning this coming Monday, and mine supposedly will have priority. (because of the caregiver thing)

I looked online and found lots (maybe 20?) of 2016 Ford & Lincoln liftgate problem complaints, but no causes, solutions, or resolutions.
My questions to you are:
Is this a common problem?
What is the likely cause/fix?
Do the newer years use the same hardware?
I realize this might not be your area of expertise, but I thought I'd take a shot.
Thanks in advance, hope you can shed some light on this.
Bill
Yes have seen it, low voltage will cause it to not open with the power lift function. There is obviously an electrical draw on the vehicle, I am curious which fuse they pulled for the liftgate (there is 2 for liftgate module).

Have had issues with the liftgate modules on them causing a battery draw, also have had issues with TCUs (telematics module) and gateway modules causing draws.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Hmmm- doesn't sound good, if they didn't know there are two fuses. Not sure which one they pulled, but it was a 30a, pink, 3/8" square x 1/2" tall one.
Thanks for the info.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Hmmm- doesn't sound good, if they didn't know there are two fuses. Not sure which one they pulled, but it was a 30a, pink, 3/8" square x 1/2" tall one.
Thanks for the info.
They pulled the fuse for the lift motor/latch control side, the other fuse powers the logic side of the module which is why it could still cause the draw. As long as its still under warranty I wouldn’t worry much.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Got the MKX back today. Said they replaced the liftgate latch and something called an RGTM.
Everything works!
But on the way home we noticed an airbag warning light is on. Dealer said to bring it back in tommorrow, probably just needs a code reset. Fingers crossed.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Big Thanks goes out to Fordtech86. (y)
His help & advice has made this little ordeal a lot easier to navigate.:)

Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
airbag warning light is on.
Spent an hour at the dealership again yesterday. Turns out that a connector wasn't fully seated.
Everything is back to normal. :)