HELP

Dave Lowry

Equipment
Kubota L3830
Dec 6, 2021
Silver City nm
I'm trying to get info on testing "no charge" on my 2003 Kubota L3830. The battery icon on the dash is on. Just bought it
Battery is charged to full voltage, while running, no charge.

Dave Lowry

Equipment
Kubota L3830
Dec 6, 2021
Silver City nm
Also...this HELP button comes on this site saying for one dollar it will answer my question WTF, also asking what brand of computer i am using, and model, and operating system. Who gives a sh#@. I'm trying to fix my tractor, not my computer.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Also...this HELP button comes on this site saying for one dollar it will answer my question WTF, also asking what brand of computer i am using, and model, and operating system. Who gives a sh#@. I'm trying to fix my tractor, not my computer.
If you think that cursing out the forums is going to endear yourself to the membership, I for one will say that you are wrong. I am able to give you the answer and the diagnostic procedures, but with your attitude, I won't. I deal with reasonable people reasonably and unreasonable people not at all. You are not a reasonable person in my opinion!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Dave,

let get back the problem at hand .......... don't let them "ads" mess with your head - those are there NOT because OTT wants them here .... just one of those things you ignore and bypass!

YOU have a volt meter? If so - do this, test the battery voltage with engine OFF - then start her up and measure again - same or less?

SO - maybe, just maybe your belt to the alternator is loose or has snapped? Check to see IF it is still there and or how tight it is......

then look carefully at the wiring around the engine - maybe a mouse has got in there and chewed up some things......

report back your findings

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
No worries, Dave. To me you seem energized, not unreasonable. Those are just annoying pop-ups, mere clickbait. Please reply with a follow-up post on what the problem was and how you fixed it!

Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Can we be reasonable for just a moment, plz?

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm trying to get info on testing "no charge"
Well you did bring up "no charge".

Maybe that triggered an "almost no charge" response...A buck is almost no charge... :ROFLMAO:

If you stick around you will find there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people here at OTT. And maybe you have expertise in some area where you can help others as well.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I sort of got off to a bad start on this forum. I'll mind my manners in the future.
Now then, if you want to get the irritating popups out of your face, search for a popup blocker that is compatible with your browser, then install it.

Dave Lowry

Equipment
Kubota L3830
Dec 6, 2021
Silver City nm
Dave,

let get back the problem at hand .......... don't let them "ads" mess with your head - those are there NOT because OTT wants them here .... just one of those things you ignore and bypass!

YOU have a volt meter? If so - do this, test the battery voltage with engine OFF - then start her up and measure again - same or less?

SO - maybe, just maybe your belt to the alternator is loose or has snapped? Check to see IF it is still there and or how tight it is......

then look carefully at the wiring around the engine - maybe a mouse has got in there and chewed up some things......

report back your findings
I just got home...I have fully charged my battery, at 12.90, with tractor running, 12.50. I have checked all connections and belt is tight, turning alternator. I read a post stating about a fuseable link 7.5V but haven't found where it is.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I sort of got off to a bad start on this forum. I'll mind my manners in the future.
No you didn't. Just be yourself. I speak fluent sarcasm, with a healthy dose of passive aggressivism and wasn't offended in the least by your post. Welcome to the forum, by the way 😊

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just got home...I have fully charged my battery, at 12.90, with tractor running, 12.50. I have checked all connections and belt is tight, turning alternator. I read a post stating about a fuseable link 7.5V but haven't found where it is.

Now we are getting somewhere ........... if you can get a lead with the volt meter on the positive side of the alternator - then you could check THAT specifically - ( if the fusible link is blown)

Might be fun to do this with the machine running - get a alligator clip and use that before starting the tractor.
1639102266881.png

If that shows bad - then I would take the alternator off and take it to a auto parts store - they should be about to check it for free.

Report back what you find out on the OEM alternator

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If everything is good and alternator is spinning. You should be getting 13.5 to 14 volts at the battery or post that hokie circled with the engine running.

Check voltage at the pin hokie has circled. If your seeing battery voltage then it's good. you need to next check voltage at the exciter side of the alternator. It's either a smaller wire connected to another post or more likely on newer tractors, it will be one of the wires in a quick connect.

The exciter side will only have power with the engine running, or key switch in the run position. It tells the alternator to start charging. If no power, then it's either a broken wire or blown fuse.

If your getting power on both wires, and your not seeing 13.5 to 14 voltage with the engine running then the alternator is bad and needs a rebuild or replaced.

Dave Lowry

Equipment
Kubota L3830
Dec 6, 2021
Silver City nm
If everything is good and alternator is spinning. You should be getting 13.5 to 14 volts at the battery or post that hokie circled with the engine running.

Check voltage at the pin hokie has circled. If your seeing battery voltage then it's good. you need to next check voltage at the exciter side of the alternator. It's either a smaller wire connected to another post or more likely on newer tractors, it will be one of the wires in a quick connect.

The exciter side will only have power with the engine running, or key switch in the run position. It tells the alternator to start charging. If no power, then it's either a broken wire or blown fuse.

If your getting power on both wires, and your not seeing 13.5 to 14 voltage with the engine running then the alternator is bad and needs a rebuild or replaced.
Thanks, Daren. I will check this out when I get back home tonight.
Good info.

Dave Lowry

Equipment
Kubota L3830
Dec 6, 2021
Silver City nm
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm sure glad to be here. Now, if I can just figure out how to navigate thru this forum...and buy another computer for my shop!!!

Dave Lowry

Equipment
Kubota L3830
Dec 6, 2021
Silver City nm
Now we are getting somewhere ........... if you can get a lead with the volt meter on the positive side of the alternator - then you could check THAT specifically - ( if the fusible link is blown)

Might be fun to do this with the machine running - get a alligator clip and use that before starting the tractor.
View attachment 71251

If that shows bad - then I would take the alternator off and take it to a auto parts store - they should be about to check it for free.

Report back what you find out on the OEM alternator
I will check this out tonight, when i get home. Thank you.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
BTW.. I use 'AdBlockPlus' to get RID of tose annoying ads from this site, and others.
I use 3 adblock type programs on all chrome activities - and a few others to stop all that stuff.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for the tip. These ads are completely out of control.
I may or may not use an add blocker. Don't remember. See some adds though.

I always figure that the adds generate revenue that supports the site. So I don't mind them if they just appear and I can ignore them.

IF a site has adds that cannot be just ignored and are NOT passive, that is a major negative for me and that site looses my participation. I have not found that here at OTT.

I was seeing some adds that showed half dressed young ladies for a while. Never figured out that one on a tractor site...but kind of enjoyed them...dirty old man here I suppose...