Help with SVL 90-2 Heat / AC Fan

RFC

Equipment
SVL 90-2, K057-5, JD 648G, Cat D8, Cat 345C
May 12, 2022
Hudson Valley, NY
Hello, My SVL 90-2 started blowing fuses on the air conditioner fan last year and I would replace the 20amp "blower motor" fuse as needed. Recently when I had the same problem (No fan but compressor is kicking on), I discovered the fuse was fine, but the 10amp "compressor clutch" fuse was blown. After replacing the compressor clutch fuse the problem was solved- for a day. Same problem. No fan. I've tried replacing the cabin and outside air filters, cleaning the condenser, and the extremely hard to get to evaporator, with no results. I have also checked as best I could for obvious shorts and loose wires. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the circuit that the fuse protects is drawing more amperage than it was designed to. That's the simple explanation. The complicated thing is tracking down WHY. It could be a lot of things, and the most common would be a chafed wire intermittently rubbing to ground. Or maybe perhaps the clutch itself is pulling more amps than it should be.

Dig out your wiring diagram and trace where the clutch fuse is, and see what circuits it protects. From there you can make a better educated guess which direction to go.

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
There is also (typically) some sort of binary or high and low pressure cut off switches associated with the ac compressor clutch. Had a few of them burn out on equipment and thought for sure I had a bad clutch coil at first.

Reactions: 1 user

RFC

Equipment
SVL 90-2, K057-5, JD 648G, Cat D8, Cat 345C
May 12, 2022
Hudson Valley, NY
Hello, My SVL 90-2 started blowing fuses on the air conditioner fan last year and I would replace the 20amp "blower motor" fuse as needed. Recently when I had the same problem (No fan but compressor is kicking on), I discovered the fuse was fine, but the 10amp "compressor clutch" fuse was blown. After replacing the compressor clutch fuse the problem was solved- for a day. Same problem. No fan. I've tried replacing the cabin and outside air filters, cleaning the condenser, and the extremely hard to get to evaporator, with no results. I have also checked as best I could for obvious shorts and loose wires. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Well here’s my follow-up. Better late than never. The problem with the evaporator fan (fan in the cab) last year as well as a new problem regarding the compressor not kicking on were both caused by the same (apparent) design flaw imo:

both issues were a result of a short caused by wires rubbing through their insulation within a flexible conduit.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I didn't watch the video, but the first thing that comes to mind is that either the evaporator or the condenser is dirty or both of them are dirty. They should be cleaned at least once a year on all air-conditioned equipment that works in dirty environments. Sometimes they need to be cleaned more often than once a year. This is what I have been using for the last couple of years with no problems and good success of thorough cleaning of the fins.
Simple Green Foaming Coil Cleaner

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well here’s my follow-up. Better late than never. The problem with the evaporator fan (fan in the cab) last year as well as a new problem regarding the compressor not kicking on were both caused by the same (apparent) design flaw imo:

both issues were a result of a short caused by wires rubbing through their insulation within a flexible conduit.
Thanks for the excellent follow up info!