Help with speed control pedal G2160

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So, my 2160 has a weird thing I think is related to 2 issues. Misadjustment of the speed/direction control system/linkage and quite a lot of wear.
The machine is ridiculously fast in forward. Literally "scary" fast. Running along at near 20 mph with engine on the governor and pedal full down. However in reverse can barely get out of it's own way. One issue I think is contributing heavily is the "play" in the pedal and linkage. From neutral position there is about 1.5" of free travel in either direction of the pedal. So when in reverse the pedal "bottoms" out while barely "engaging" the hydro. I have gone under the machine and noticed lots of play in assembly labeled D520XX in the part diagram. Yet I cannot find it in replacement parts. It also binds up. So looking for some advice on how to tighten things up, stop the binding and get the forward and reverse speeds back in order.

part diagram-1.jpg

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Well after much closer examination I found it was the link attached to the speed control rod was sloppy and worn. Also it was obvious looking at the adjuster threads someone in the machine's life had been messing around with the linkage adjustments. I bought a new link, and reset all the adjusters to what looked to be approximately where they were originally and now the machine works perfectly forward and reverse

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I can't remember but I think there was a set screw on the HST neutral arm, that held the arm in place on the HST trunion shaft. Make sure that screw is tight.

I had one of those mowers and the one thing I absolutely loved was how fast it was. 20mph ain't out of the question once you adjust the stop screws. My neighbors loved watching me mow. However, I hated (with a passion) the electric power steering. It sucked. It was "power steering" but you couldn't keep a straight line with it. And the rear discharge bagger-hated that too. Went back to an old G1900-S; which wasn't as fast but it mowed tighter, didn't have rear discharge, steers as easy as the 2160, and could cut a straight line.

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I can't remember but I think there was a set screw on the HST neutral arm, that held the arm in place on the HST trunion shaft. Make sure that screw is tight.

I had one of those mowers and the one thing I absolutely loved was how fast it was. 20mph ain't out of the question once you adjust the stop screws. My neighbors loved watching me mow. However, I hated (with a passion) the electric power steering. It sucked. It was "power steering" but you couldn't keep a straight line with it. And the rear discharge bagger-hated that too. Went back to an old G1900-S; which wasn't as fast but it mowed tighter, didn't have rear discharge, steers as easy as the 2160, and could cut a straight line.
Thanks, I will look for that as well. When I actually got the rear fender off and was able to truly look at everything, I was also able to see a previous owner (one of the 2 before me) had been messing with the linkage. With the new "ball joint" installed and the links adjusted (the pedal was set too far back so there was no travel to the rear). Weather has been so cold I have not been able to get things finished. (repainting hood), and straightened out rear fender, removed all the rubber mat, cleaned out all the mud, will wire brush all that, repaint it, then I am going to use Herculiner roll/brush on bed liner in place of the mat. Finally I have to get the front axle properly shimmed to tighten up the "play". Lots of work ahead of me LOL. Appreciate as always your advice. Any tips you can share thanks in advance!