Help with removal of 3pt hitch backhoe

katansam

Equipment
B8200, BF-350 loader, Woods BH750
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
Hi, I have a new old B8200 HST D with a woods BH750 on the 3pt hitch (no subframe). I have the center HD top link on order to replace the original to help secure this set up a bit. I will need to disconnect the backhoe from the machine to do this and have never done it before. Does anyone have any video of a similar set ip/disconnection? Seems easy to do, but the local dealer said good luck getting it on and off. So again, I turn to you guys. Im still learning as this is my first tractor and dont want 800lbs of steal falling over

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've never done it. But I'd imagine you'd put the stabiliser legs down, and put the bucket on the ground to gently take the weight, so it'd still be on the 3ph lift arms, but the top link would be loose. All going well you'll be able to swap top links without anything moving.....

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
mikester beat me to the 'concrete pad' reply.....it applies to ALL 3pt implements....

I don't know your machine but....
have to ask WHY remove the entire BH if just replacing the top link ?
you should be able to use 1 or 2 comealongs to take the place of the existing top link,pull pins and remove the toplink, then install the new one

I've done this a few times with othert ractors and implements in the past....

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It's not hard. Paul L has it almost right. You use a combination of the stabilizers and the bucket itself to take the weight off all pins, so the entire backhoe is supported by a tripod of the bucket and two stabilizers without lifting on the tractor. If there are multiple possible mounting holes, then mark the correct ones with a paint marker or similar for future reference.

As you are just replacing the top link bracket, I think you can stop here, remove the top link, replace the bracket and reassemble. The following are the next steps if you want to completely remove it:

Pull all the pins so the backhoe is freestanding then drive the tractor forward about a foot (limited by the length of the hoses!), lower the backhoe to the ground, shut down the tractor and disconnect the PTO pump. Take note of exactly how the pump is oriented before removing it. There will be some sort of bracket that keeps the pump from spinning. On my rig, it just slips into the drawbar recess, but I think on the Woods it goes around the drawbar.

Reconnecting is the inverse. Back the tractor up so it is pretty much in line and within a foot or so and shut it off. Connect the PTO pump, engage the PTO and use the stabilizers and boom to raise the backhoe off the ground. With the tractor at or just above idle, back the tractor into the hoe, fine tuning the angles as required with the stabilizers and boom until you can reinsert the pins.

Reactions: 1 user

katansam

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
mikester beat me to the 'concrete pad' reply.....it applies to ALL 3pt implements....

I don't know your machine but....
have to ask WHY remove the entire BH if just replacing the top link ?
you should be able to use 1 or 2 comealongs to take the place of the existing top link,pull pins and remove the toplink, then install the new one

I've done this a few times with othert ractors and implements in the past....
Great....This is what I was hoping for. Thought about it but thought I was taking a short cut

katansam

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
It's not hard. Paul L has it almost right. You use a combination of the stabilizers and the bucket itself to take the weight off all pins, so the entire backhoe is supported by a tripod of the bucket and two stabilizers without lifting on the tractor. If there are multiple possible mounting holes, then mark the correct ones with a paint marker or similar for future reference.

As you are just replacing the top link bracket, I think you can stop here, remove the top link, replace the bracket and reassemble. The following are the next steps if you want to completely remove it:

Pull all the pins so the backhoe is freestanding then drive the tractor forward about a foot (limited by the length of the hoses!), lower the backhoe to the ground, shut down the tractor and disconnect the PTO pump. Take note of exactly how the pump is oriented before removing it. There will be some sort of bracket that keeps the pump from spinning. On my rig, it just slips into the drawbar recess, but I think on the Woods it goes around the drawbar.

Reconnecting is the inverse. Back the tractor up so it is pretty much in line and within a foot or so and shut it off. Connect the PTO pump, engage the PTO and use the stabilizers and boom to raise the backhoe off the ground. With the tractor at or just above idle, back the tractor into the hoe, fine tuning the angles as required with the stabilizers and boom until you can reinsert the pins.
Nice write up...thanks!...helpfull

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
The replies so far pretty much cover it if you plan to keep the backhoe on all the time. If you plan to swap out rear implements a simple dolly will make storage and reattachment much easier.

katansam

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
The replies so far pretty much cover it if you plan to keep the backhoe on all the time. If you plan to swap out rear implements a simple dolly will make storage and reattachment much easier.
Thanks. Not completely sure which route I will go, but it seems to make sense to utilize the 3pth for more implements, and put the backhoe on for planned projects...for my use.