Help with L1500DT

Grey Tractor Dude

Equipment
L1500DT
Mar 19, 2019
Florissant, CO
I have an L1500DT and my steering is toast. Both the upper and lower bearing are trashed (upper is ceased and the lower came apart). I have enough play in the steering shaft that the worm gear is not making contact with the sector shaft. Have any of you ever rebuilt a steering assembly? Any suggestions on what to watch out for and how to realign the worm gear correctly when reinstalling the sector shaft?

Also, I'm in need of a shift level locking pen and spring (see pic). I bought this tractor and the transmission failed immediately. I replaced it with a used L225DT transmission. During the process one of shifter locking pens and springs went MIA. Actually, I don't think it came with the shifter which was not attached to the transmission. Anyone know where I can find the pen and spring?

I'll call the people where I bought the transmission tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful of getting help. I bought the transmission over a year ago. After replacing the transmission I noticed play in the left rear axle. When I opened up the differential I found enough wrong that I put the project away for the winter. Back at it in the spring--a trip to the machine shop, ordered and weighted on parts, and months later everything is reassembled. That's when I realized I'm missing the shifter locking pen and spring.

My steering and shifter are the last two pieces to a long and drawn-out project. Anxious to stop working on and start working with my tractor.

Any help is appreciated.
GTD

IMG_0327.jpg

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have an L1500DT and my steering is toast. Both the upper and lower bearing are trashed (upper is ceased and the lower came apart). I have enough play in the steering shaft that the worm gear is not making contact with the sector shaft. Have any of you ever rebuilt a steering assembly? Any suggestions on what to watch out for and how to realign the worm gear correctly when reinstalling the sector shaft?

Also, I'm in need of a shift level locking pen and spring (see pic). I bought this tractor and the transmission failed immediately. I replaced it with a used L225DT transmission. During the process one of shifter locking pens and springs went MIA. Actually, I don't think it came with the shifter which was not attached to the transmission. Anyone know where I can find the pen and spring?

I'll call the people where I bought the transmission tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful of getting help. I bought the transmission over a year ago. After replacing the transmission I noticed play in the left rear axle. When I opened up the differential I found enough wrong that I put the project away for the winter. Back at it in the spring--a trip to the machine shop, ordered and weighted on parts, and months later everything is reassembled. That's when I realized I'm missing the shifter locking pen and spring.

My steering and shifter are the last two pieces to a long and drawn-out project. Anxious to stop working on and start working with my tractor.

Any help is appreciated.
GTD

View attachment 47861
I have a L175 WSM I bought on a foreign on line web site in which the illustrations are much clearer than any I can find on line at places like Kubotabooks. It shoould be the same as your L1500.

This material shows how to align the two gears in the steering box

If you can enlarge the pages in your pdf reader you will find the images remain clear and easier to see.

Dave

Attachments