Help with chipper for BX23s

5fm

Equipment
BX23S
Jul 5, 2020
CT
Hello - I have been looking for a chipper for my bx23s and came across a bearcat sc5540 a friend has that is barely used for $1000. Great deal based on what they cost new. Bearcat says it needs a minimum 25 hp at the pto and I have just about 18. He let me borrow it to try and see how it works. I know not to expect it’s full capability. Hooked it up and chipped all day yesterday like a champ. Even pieces close to its max. My only concern is when I engage the pto it’s bogs down quite a bit to get the chipper turning. Need to have it at at least 2500 rpm or it stalls. Other that that it’s a beast. So my question, is that ok to bog down that much or can that do damage? Also what’s interesting is the woods 5000 which I understand is made by bearcat has the same exact specs and says minimum 15hp at the pto.

I also found a salsco 600 that’s 16 years old, looks like new though. That’s rated for lower hp But I was wondering if that would just do the same on pto start up And it’s “normal” to bog down for an implement like this.

thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Not an engineering expert, never used a chipper. It is a "flywheel" type of device similar to a brush cutter. If you start a brush cutter at 540rpm shear bolts often break apart. Their manual instructs starting pto at lower engine rpms and bringing mower up to speed. Yes, engine bogs down at startup. I expect a heavy chipper flywheel to behave the same. My concern (maybe irrelevant) is should these implements have over-running clutches to allow spin down when disengaging pto?

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
I have a small chipper on my B2320, and yes, it will bog the engine when the PTO is engaged. I always engage at idle, then throttle up. I use the clutch to kind of feather the engagement to try to minimize the shock load. Shut down is the same, bring slowly back to idle, let speed settle, then press the clutch and let the flywheel coast down before disengaging PTO.

5fm

Equipment
BX23S
Jul 5, 2020
CT
Does anyone have a bearcat chipper/shredder? would be great to hear your experience. Hoping to make a decision in the next couple days. Thanks.

5fm

Equipment
BX23S
Jul 5, 2020
CT
Does anyone have a bearcat chipper/shredder? would be great to hear your experience. Hoping to make a decision in the next couple days. Thanks.
I just replied to your other thread about this... How does the PTO work on your BX23; is it one of the push button PTO's; all or nothing? I do engage mine slowly with the clutch, 23.5 hp, then rev. it up.
Lever operated PTO, all or nothing. Unfortunately I can’t clutch it in

Tlake

Equipment
B2320
Apr 30, 2020
Eagle River, Alaska
I don't have a Bearcat chipper but I do run a Betsco 4inch PTO chipper on my B2320. I throttle up to around 1800RPM's then slowly engage (Clutch) the PTO with no bog at all. I then increase my RPM's to 2200. Make sure the chipper isn't clogged with material. If chipping green items it will clog up. I could see it bogging down then. Hope this helps some.

Reactions: 1 user